Pregnancy And Parenting

On 01/06/2023 at 19:03, carpetmonster said:

I just realised I never got back to you about that peanut butter whisky from a couple of months ago mate. It was shite. Really sugary like if you put crap bourbon into a bowl of ricicles. Don’t toast the new arrival with it. 

Sheepdog?

Doesn't sound the most appetising.

On 01/06/2023 at 18:38, derrybiy said:

I'm encouraged to do the night feeds because although she's bottle fed she'll apparently naturally cling to her mum and be unsettled at night as if she was going to be breastfed (unless the midwife was bribed into saying this). However, I also have to be awake during the day to do the dog duties and I'm shite at sleeping in the daytime.

This is always a bugbear of mine. My kids were bottle fed. My daughter clung to me very much when she was a baby. Not being breastfed did them no harm at all. 

And bottle feeding meant we both did it. 

On 01/06/2023 at 18:38, derrybiy said:

My beautiful daughter Eva was born last Friday after a not so straightforward induction and labour. This was followed by a four night stay in hospital for my wife to recuperate where she felt comfortable whilst I was hating it and desperate to get us all home. We made a really stupid decision to stay at my parents free house on our first night out because it would be easier for the recovering mother to move around. This was followed by a second stupid decision to immediately introduce our dog to the mix that had been missing us for days and hadn't been around babies all that much, this was before we'd even unpacked. This ended in lots of stress, taking the dog home and getting an out of hours appointment at another hospital at 4.30am because our daughter was suddenly crying, shivering and going red for 5 hours which she'd never done before on the previous nights in the hospital. By the time we got to this appointment the crying had stopped and a nice doctor calmy checked her before explaining what we already had guessed. This is what babies do when you move them into new environments especially with parents who are sleep deprived and not very calm. We felt quite stupid but thankfully the doctor took pity on us and I think it must happen quite a lot.

Things are going as well as they can now. I'm encouraged to do the night feeds because although she's bottle fed she'll apparently naturally cling to her mum and be unsettled at night as if she was going to be breastfed (unless the midwife was bribed into saying this). However, I also have to be awake during the day to do the dog duties and I'm shite at sleeping in the daytime.

That's all the negatives but the positives are we are getting into the flow of things as best we can and both daughter and mum are doing really well.

20230601_144011.jpg

Congratulations to you both, she's a beauty and seems oblivious to all the fuss!

You don't need anybody to tell you but you both done the right thing in taking her to hospital, that's the parental instinct kicking in. 

You will find you get into a routine, everything being up in the air to start with is perfectly normal.

On 31/05/2023 at 16:05, Bairnardo said:

I think we may have covered this before or there was maybe a thread, but what's the accepted P&B wisdom about when to free your kids to roam the streets like we did?

I feel there's a bit of a natural point coming for my oldest where she wants a little bit longer on the reins.... She is 8 btw. As a result of this iv currently let the two of them out the front to cycle their bikes around a section of the street we live in. They probably only have 200 yards really to play with, but it's the first time I've let them leave our house/garden unattended. 

I still don't think I can trust them quite yet to go as far as  the nearest park, but I was thinking maybe summer hols for a trial run or two at that. What's the thoughts on this?

My son is 7 but has been playing put in the street for 2/3 years now. We live just off a main road but the street is pretty quiet. He's got one pal in the street who is a year older but they're both into the same stuff so they play away together happily. There are also plenty of older kids who would look out for them if anything was to happen and there's always adults nearby. 

All you can do is set boundaries for them, it's up to them to show they can be trusted before the boundaries get stretched. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Bairn was in hospital again yesterday getting checked out, but they think it's a virus and she was sent home.

I must say they don't hang about anymore if she is off colour.

Right I realise i am going to come across like an arsehole here however i need a rant. I have two kids. One 6 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. Obviously I love them but i am absolutely hating it at the moment. My son is an absolute nightmare. Doesnt listen, absolutely wild, wakes up at 4.45-5am and is fucking nuts. Makes a mess of the house. We are in the process of trying to see someone about him but i dont think its ADHD as he is a complete angel in school apparently. He has always been a terrible sleeper. We have tried everything with him. Had 2 sleep consultants and tried every measure. 

My daughter is a bit calmer but for the last 6 months has been getting up in the middle of the night and coming through to our bed which means i invariably end up in her bed. She then gets woken up by my son at 5am and he then gets her wound up as well. I leave for work at about 6.15am and dont get back till 6pm. I have a very busy job alongside other stuff i do out with of my day job. Can feel myself about to explode with it all. The only thing keeping me currently sane is going to the gym and exercising. 

19 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Right I realise i am going to come across like an arsehole here however i need a rant. I have two kids. One 6 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. Obviously I love them but i am absolutely hating it at the moment. My son is an absolute nightmare. Doesnt listen, absolutely wild, wakes up at 4.45-5am and is fucking nuts. Makes a mess of the house. We are in the process of trying to see someone about him but i dont think its ADHD as he is a complete angel in school apparently. He has always been a terrible sleeper. We have tried everything with him. Had 2 sleep consultants and tried every measure. 

My daughter is a bit calmer but for the last 6 months has been getting up in the middle of the night and coming through to our bed which means i invariably end up in her bed. She then gets woken up by my son at 5am and he then gets her wound up as well. I leave for work at about 6.15am and dont get back till 6pm. I have a very busy job alongside other stuff i do out with of my day job. Can feel myself about to explode with it all. The only thing keeping me currently sane is going to the gym and exercising. 

Nah, you sound like a fairly average honest parent. It's a touch gig juggling everything. 

Also just because he's good at school doesn't mean not ADHD. Often they can mask and meet the social norms in one area and then decompress at home. Or sometimes they're three years old with lots energy to burn and drive you insane!

I have my middle child's P7 leavers assembly today. She had her leavers dance last week. Moving schools has been making of her.

On 17/03/2023 at 16:23, Jacksgranda said:

The Bairn has just told her granny - who is not giving her what she wants - that "I'm going to throw you out"!
Idle threat which will not be implemented if she's anything like her granny.

Were they on a bus at the time? 

Grandson was up yesterday along with his partner and their son and his dad. His father asked was he going to cut our grass, and Samuel said "No, the grass is effing wet". Greatgrandson went over and felt the grass and said "The grass is effing wet". :lol:

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

On 22/06/2023 at 08:24, Aufc said:

Mate, I really feel all of this. My almost 3 yr old wakes up every night, actually every night and wakes up the 3 month old, she says every night it's nightmares and worst thing is she only wants her maw who gets to sleep next to her and I basically feed, change and lie with the wee man for hours until he falls asleep. I just kinda exist around them, the thing that keeps me calm is lifting weights until I literally can't lift my arms. Years apart but the problems seem similar, drop me a wee shout if you fancy crying into a pint together 🫥

The lack of sleep during the early years of parenthood is a fcuking nightmare. My two were only 19months apart in age which didn’t help.
Never again did I complain about jet lag when travelling on business.

They grew out of it after a few years. 

Problem is that now they are young adults we are still being woken up with them coming back from nightclubs or late work shifts in the wee small hours and so the cycle of much interrupted sleep patterns begins again. 

Kids eh? You never stop loving them despite all the grief! 😂 

Be nice to them though. They get to choose the care home.

On 24/06/2023 at 02:03, thistledo said:

Mate, I really feel all of this. My almost 3 yr old wakes up every night, actually every night and wakes up the 3 month old, she says every night it's nightmares and worst thing is she only wants her maw who gets to sleep next to her and I basically feed, change and lie with the wee man for hours until he falls asleep. I just kinda exist around them, the thing that keeps me calm is lifting weights until I literally can't lift my arms. Years apart but the problems seem similar, drop me a wee shout if you fancy crying into a pint together 🫥

Aye it’s tough aint it. I’m hoping they begin to realise the power of sleep at some point. Feel like it’s affecting my son at school as he is like a zombie by the end of the week. If I manage dkwn for a thistle game next season then I’ll give you a shout nate

Eldest (6) was at the local Gala last week with my parents. They said they were standing waiting for the horses and a woman went past on a mobility scooter and my daughter (not laughing or attempting to be funny) went "Vrooooom!" as she passed. 

Not sure if I should be proud she shares my sick sense of humour or if I should be having a serious talk with her... 

Edited by 19QOS19

My middle one finishes Primary school today. There will be tears. It was her P3 year that made me decide we needed to move schools, she was miserable. Now she's happy, has a lovely group of friends and a best friend. She's also a smart wee thing but more importantly she's happy.

Pass the tissues.