Pregnancy And Parenting

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It means someone involved in the decision making around schools watched too much American TV when they were in their teens. In my old school the dances at the end of the year have also been rebranded as a 'prom' and secondary school is now referred to as 'high school'.  Someone's fantasy is being brought to life. 🙄  

Aye, I know it's another example of an Americanism but it does actually mean something - the wife went to a meeting on it and there is a leaflet somewhere which explains what it's all about.  I guess I could read the leaflet (no point asking the wife) but...

Not wishing to take away your argument but back in the late 70s my school in Dundee was a High School - I don't think this is an example of an Americanism.

You have a good day now!   

Edited by hk blues

41 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Aye, I know it's another example of an Americanism but it does actually mean something - the wife went to a meeting on it and there is a leaflet somewhere which explains what it's all about.  I guess I could read the leaflet (no point asking the wife) but...

Not wishing to take away your argument but back in the late 70s my school in Dundee was a High School - I don't think this is an example of an Americanism.

You have a good day now!   

I went to a High School, too, and it was a primary school.

"Middle School" leaves me baffled, though.

Primary, secondary - that's the way to do it.

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

In Dundee we had we had High Schools, Academies, RC High Schools for secondary schools but only Primary for primary schools.  

In the Philippines we have Nursery/Kindergarten/Grade School/Junior High School then Senior High School and even College - all at the same school.  The school name doesn't refer to the level/age etc at all.  

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It’s a yank thing. Elementary school is grades Kindergarten - 5th (age 5 thru 12), then middle is grades 6-9 (age 12 - 14) and then high school after that (15-18). Different places do it differently tho; the vast majority of schools in Chicago are K-8 and then high school. Middle schools are more common outside the city; maybe they got more space to build em there. 

They have middle schools in England too, definitely in the Midlands and Home Counties, at least. The town I was brought up in had several primary schools that ran from nursery age up to 7 (I think), then you moved to one of the middle schools (7-12), before heading to the secondary school (12-16/18).

I think they used to have exams at 7 and 12 down there (before my time), the results from which decided whether you'd go to a good school or get thrown on the scrapheap for economic cannon fodder, which matches up with the age groups. Since then, it wouldn't surprise me if they've merged the primary and middle schools as the buildings were replaced (I discovered one of my old primary schools had become council offices last time I visited).

On 26/09/2023 at 10:24, scottsdad said:

I went to an Academy. 

I have no idea what the difference is. Except, of course, that academies are better. 

Perhaps not better according to the Government

Academies receive funding directly from the government and are run by an academy trust. They have more control over how they do things than community schools. Academies do not charge fees. Academies are inspected by Ofsted. They have to follow the same rules on admissions, special educational needs and exclusions as other state schools and students sit the same exams. 

Academies have more control over how they do things, for example they do not have to follow the national curriculum and can set their own term times. Some schools choose to become academies. If a school funded by the local authority is judged as ‘inadequate’ by Ofsted then it must become an academy.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-school/academies#:~:text=Academies have more control over,it must become an academy.

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

In all honesty, I think they called it Alloa Academy as it was an alliteration. It's been called that forever. 

Alloa High School sounds shite. 

My daughter brought home her Hone Economics food yesterday, and was trying (and failing) to get us to try it. 

"It's pasta, made with ka-joon". 

Ka-joon? Took us a few minutes but we realised she meant cajun. She read the label but hadn't heard it pronounced.