Pregnancy And Parenting

22 hours ago, velo army said:

Not initially knowing that this was a fake school wedding really made its mark on how I read the rest 😂.

Read this multiple times and was very confused. Gonna blame tiredness. 

• 2 weeks later...

A few of my sons friends are getting bought iPads and given access to computer games. He is six and we think he’s a bit young for them so it’s going to be a bit of a battle.

Quite a few of his friends have older brothers and sisters so get exposed to this stuff earlier than he does. However, it seems to drive a lot of poor behaviour from the older siblings (tantrums when they lose a game or their times runs out) that is being transferred to the younger kids. 

We let him watch YouTube on the TV, mainly Lego build clips, but I’d prefer he played with Lego than have his own iPad etc. Am I out of touch or is it the children who are wrong?

I held off until my eldest was about 9 and then got him an Xbox. They all had Kindle fires, not iPads, youngest was younger than other two but COVID meant I got her one at 7 for school work.  

I don't recall tantrums when R played Xbox live with pals. Headset meant he sometimes didn't realise how loud they were getting!

Tantrum when time up = no screen time next day so they learnt. 

It's not so much the device, it's the parenting as it is with a lot of things.

Both ours have samsung tablets to play games/watch YouTube. It's all supervised and tbh they rarely spend that much time on them. We have a Nintendo Switch too but they never ask to play it. We aren't a big gaming family.

Great grandson up for a visit with his parents, who had some sad family news.

First time I've got a smile off him, he's usually very reserved.

Stepdaughter Nr 3 is down collecting her three. Her youngest daughter was sitting on her knee, and my wife remarked "She just loves her mummy".

"Not as much as me" a wee voice piped up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fifth grandchild, second granddaughter, born on Monday. 

I know that we're really lucky that they all stay within 15 miles of us.

Edited by kingjoey

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Fifth grandchild, second granddaughter, born on Monday. 

I know that we're really lucky that they all stay within 15 miles of us.

Congratulations!

Grandchildren:  kingjoey 5 (+1)

Total grandchildren        42

Total babies:                  357

Had my oldest daughter's open evening for Junior Kindergarten (Nursey) last night. 

She's going into the French Immersion programme, meaning she'll be taught in French for the first few years, then go to 50% French 50% English. They keep stressing that parents don't need to be French speakers, but I'm still hammering the Duolingo to brush up on my high school General French and the French I've picked up from food packaging in the last 10 years here. (Still takes some getting used to, seeing 'shredded cheese' written in French!)

• 1 month later...

Well a thread I didn't envisage visiting a year ago,

Started seeing my current partner in September last year, things have moved quickly with her moving in towards the end of January and finding out yesterday she is a couple of weeks pregnant. She had felt knackered most of last week, as well as having a few other tell tale signs. After a week missed period on Friday we did two tests and both were negative. However she was sick yesterday morning on her way to work and did a test on her way home, before flinging it in my direction when I picked her up. It was one of the digital ones and it showed as being pregnant 1-2 weeks. We had a spare test at home, which she did but that showed as not pregnant however she had downed a couple pints of water beforehand. We got another last night which she did first thing this morning and again it shows as being pregnant 1-2 weeks.

Now the odd thing about it all is that she did a home fertility test around February, not that we were actively trying but she had some concerns about her fertility. Her results came back and all was okay, I then booked a spot to have a test at the local hospital, providing a sample etc (a somewhat embarrassing episode) and my count was low. I wasn't infertile, but it was a very low count, so if we wanted to go forward and start trying it was likely that we'd need some help. I think part of me always suspected this as I haven't had any pregnancy scares with previous partners etc. I am not sure if getting that result then turned off some internal stress that I maybe didn't quite realise, and that has in turn led to us finding ourselves here. 

I am excited, but also fucking terrified. We were starting to look at properties back in Scotland (we've been up a couple of times and she has fallen in love with the place) with the idea of moving in 12-18 months time. The company I currently work for have been taken over, and redundancy is on the horizon (probably have until end of September) but have a couple of interviews lined up which will hopefully give some form of security moving forward. I have always wanted children, as has she, but the reality of one being with us in less than a year feels incomprehensible at the moment. It almost doesn't feel real. We haven't told anyone as of yet, but I just needed to get this written down and hopefully get some advice!

15 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Started seeing my current partner in September last year, things have moved quickly with her moving in towards the end of January and finding out yesterday she is a couple of weeks pregnant. She had felt knackered most of last week, as well as having a few other tell tale signs. After a week missed period on Friday we did two tests and both were negative. However she was sick yesterday morning on her way to work and did a test on her way home, before flinging it in my direction when I picked her up. It was one of the digital ones and it showed as being pregnant 1-2 weeks. We had a spare test at home, which she did but that showed as not pregnant however she had downed a couple pints of water beforehand. We got another last night which she did first thing this morning and again it shows as being pregnant 1-2 weeks.

Now the odd thing about it all is that she did a home fertility test around February, not that we were actively trying but she had some concerns about her fertility. Her results came back and all was okay, I then booked a spot to have a test at the local hospital, providing a sample etc (a somewhat embarrassing episode) and my count was low. I wasn't infertile, but it was a very low count, so if we wanted to go forward and start trying it was likely that we'd need some help. I think part of me always suspected this as I haven't had any pregnancy scares with previous partners etc. I am not sure if getting that result then turned off some internal stress that I maybe didn't quite realise, and that has in turn led to us finding ourselves here. 

I am excited, but also fucking terrified. We were starting to look at properties back in Scotland (we've been up a couple of times and she has fallen in love with the place) with the idea of moving in 12-18 months time. The company I currently work for have been taken over, and redundancy is on the horizon (probably have until end of September) but have a couple of interviews lined up which will hopefully give some form of security moving forward. I have always wanted children, as has she, but the reality of one being with us in less than a year feels incomprehensible at the moment. It almost doesn't feel real. We haven't told anyone as of yet, but I just needed to get this written down and hopefully get some advice!

Aye, ended up having 3 kids, eventually, with my ex.  She got pregnant very quickly in that relationship, I got made redundant, she ended up living with her maw for a while after the first came along.

It will work out, never the way you expect, but it will. You'll be surprised at how it feels everythings going sideways and you still manage to get up every day.

Congratulations btw, and I hope Mum (to be) is doing ok.

Edited by Peil

16 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Have you informed Milky Gem of your news ?

Do you now keep socks and trainers on when playing 'hide the salami' ?

ETA - All levity aside, and assuming your partner is with child, many congratulations. The fear will soon turn to trepidation and expectation.

Before you know it, you'll be at antenatal classes and preparing the bairn's bedroom.

All the best.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen