Pregnancy And Parenting

We've got my wee niece staying over tonight - she's 15 months and her mum had said to my missus "she'll sit quite happy watching anything on the telly, but she goes DAFT when Curious George is on - she shouts and shakes her head, so we turn it off". An hour after she's been dropped off, Curious George came on - and she sat utterly transfixed through the whole show, and when it finished she turned and looked at us as if to say "why has it finished? ":lol:

I have every episode of Curious George stored on the Sky+ so it's a couple of button pushes away whenever Steven decides he wants it on. We have the DVD too (and the movie though we haven't watched that yet) but he watches it so often it's easier just to Sky+ it and leave other things in the DVD (usually either Cars 2 or Mr Men).

Regards merchandise SD - my wife had the same problem at Christmas, one of our other nieces is daft for Rihanna, and she couldn't find anything for her - she ended up using a tshirt printing website who basically take any image you like and print it on a tshirt - needless to say, this wee cheap white Tsirt that cost sweeties with a photo of Rihanna on it is the wee scones favourite item of clothing! Would genuinely wear it all day is she could.

Interesting (though completely illegal of course! :lol: )

It's not that they are short of clothes and it wasn't really a t-shirt I wanted. It was more pyjamas or a quilt cover, neither of which would be so easily done that way.

I'm more generally puzzled at the complete lack of merchandise availability for such a high profile character though.

When do kids usually get interested in TV? I've heard some parents say they stick their 6 month olds in front of the box for a couple of hours a day to shut them up. But even if I wanted to do that, it wouldn't work because Callum (now 16 months) has never shown any more than a fleeting interest in the TV.

I've nothing against him watching a moderate amount of educational TV - any suggestions about what to try him with?

I have every episode of Curious George stored on the Sky+ so it's a couple of button pushes away whenever Steven decides he wants it on. We have the DVD too (and the movie though we haven't watched that yet) but he watches it so often it's easier just to Sky+ it and leave other things in the DVD (usually either Cars 2 or Mr Men).

Interesting (though completely illegal of course! :lol: )

It's not that they are short of clothes and it wasn't really a t-shirt I wanted. It was more pyjamas or a quilt cover, neither of which would be so easily done that way.

I'm more generally puzzled at the complete lack of merchandise availability for such a high profile character though.

Aye. Erm............ well! Aye! In my defence, when she ordered it online I did think it was a bit dodgy, but she went ahead onyway. Hmmmm. *cough*

Tonight's been a bit of an eye opener in a couple of ways. I've got a 7 year old boy (Ronan) from a previous relationship, who stays with my wife and I half the week. Tonight is the first time since he was small that we've had a baby staying over - and he has been absolutely terrific. He helped bath her earlier on, and was more than happy to help get her nighttime bottle ready etc. He's a really good helpful wee guy normally anyway, helps us keep the house tidy etc, but to see him do it with another wee one in the house - tugged at our heart strings a wee bit! He says he would love a wee brother, I'm not sure how much longer me and the wife will be able to hold out!

Edited by Did someone say I scream?

My three year old boy loves curious George too. Hes a big fan of mickey mouse clubhouse and jake and the never land pirates.

I love agent OSO for the title song and the episode names.

Edit to add

Electra the young thing on Disney Jr talking about fashion had both my boys in rapt attention this morning with her wee thing about getting the handy manny look.

Edited by chico

my boy is two and his current favourites are peppa pig, ben and holly and the brilliant kung fu panda on nick toons, oh and for some reason he prefers old fireman sam rather than the new jazzed up version

He has taste. Almost swore at the telly seeing the new firefighter, the helicopter and all that crap in the new fireman sam.

Cheers for the suggestions. I should have mentioned we don't have Sky, so we've got a limited choice.

Cbeebies doesn't do too badly in the fun/educational stakes. I'm a fan of Mr Bloom's Nursery, myself. I'm not sure a 16 month baby will get the gist of it, but they all get up and have a dance and a sing at the end, so I see that as exercise. Channel 71 on freeview.

As an example, here are the listings for tomorrow. Tommy Zoom (not a personal favourite, I have to say) is all about environmental stuff, like pollution and how it's bad and so on. Zing Zillas is all about music. Tweenies is just a group of kids at nursery, but there's a few lessons to learn there. Numberjacks is a good one for counting and numbers in general. Alphablocks is about 3 minutes long per cartoon, but I love it. The blocks hold hands to make words and there's one episode in particular where each block tells you the sound they make. Charlie laughed his bottom off for ages watching it on repeat when it first came out. Something Special is not so much aimed at kids with learning disabilities, but it teaches sign language to all kids while Justin goes off on adventures with disabled children. It's great because it doesn't make a feature out of it, and personally, I think that makes children less inclined to pick out differences because they just won't notice, if you see what I mean. I definitely recommend that one. Mister Maker - Art Attack for little ones. That should be enough to keep you going a little while!

My favourite Alphablocks is the one with "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" song. :D

I LOVE that! I meant to say, you can actually watch all the episodes of Alphablocks one the website, here! I think most of the Cbeebies shows are available online actually. Even if not through the actual website, they're on the iPlayer, which makes it a bit easier to pick and choose what they watch and when.

Not at all educational, but if you went kids under 3 transfixed to the telly, stick the adverts on. Particularly insurance ads. It gives me the creeps, there must be something sinister going on there, they all love the admiral.

My 5 month old has loved the quiz show pointless pretty much since birth too, kicks off at eggheads though; I blame CJ.

Cbeebies doesn't do too badly in the fun/educational stakes. I'm a fan of Mr Bloom's Nursery, myself. I'm not sure a 16 month baby will get the gist of it, but they all get up and have a dance and a sing at the end, so I see that as exercise. Channel 71 on freeview.

As an example, here are the listings for tomorrow. Tommy Zoom (not a personal favourite, I have to say) is all about environmental stuff, like pollution and how it's bad and so on. Zing Zillas is all about music. Tweenies is just a group of kids at nursery, but there's a few lessons to learn there. Numberjacks is a good one for counting and numbers in general. Alphablocks is about 3 minutes long per cartoon, but I love it. The blocks hold hands to make words and there's one episode in particular where each block tells you the sound they make. Charlie laughed his bottom off for ages watching it on repeat when it first came out. Something Special is not so much aimed at kids with learning disabilities, but it teaches sign language to all kids while Justin goes off on adventures with disabled children. It's great because it doesn't make a feature out of it, and personally, I think that makes children less inclined to pick out differences because they just won't notice, if you see what I mean. I definitely recommend that one. Mister Maker - Art Attack for little ones. That should be enough to keep you going a little while!

Great info there, thanks.

Your children should be taken in to care.

Haha - sometimes I think that too! :P

Not at all educational, but if you went kids under 3 transfixed to the telly, stick the adverts on. Particularly insurance ads. It gives me the creeps, there must be something sinister going on there, they all love the admiral.

Not confused.com though. She pulls things out from her 'flower'. It's but nice.

Our 3 month old seems to have developed an addiction to the tv. If it's on she'll go out of her way, sometimes bending over backwards, to watch it.

So I sat her down in her bouncer chair and put on The Shining. That should either stop her watching tv again or she'll kill me in my sleep!

Our 3 month old seems to have developed an addiction to the tv. If it's on she'll go out of her way, sometimes bending over backwards, to watch it.

So I sat her down in her bouncer chair and put on The Shining. That should either stop her watching tv again or she'll kill me in my sleep!

straight from the Burgess/Kubrick school of discipline.

To be honest, despite my championing of the quite superb 'Curious George' generally apart from him ours mostly prefer CBeebies to the subscription things anyway.

CBeebies is on from when they get up (usually just before 7) until Zingzillas comes on as they don't like it much. In that time we currently run through Koala Brothers, Pingu, Postman Pat, Bob the Builder, Timmy Time, Chugington for starters. All very much favoured. As are Something Special, Mr Bloom's Nursery, Balamory, and at the other end of the day, In the Night Garden.

They do like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and they've recently got into Tom & Jerry or Garfield on Boomerang. They like Jake & the Neverland Pirates and Handy Manny on Disney too. Thomas quite likes Little Einsteins too.