Pregnancy And Parenting

My girlfriends overbearing Auntie was staying with for 3 nights last week and her carry on on her third night here was a disgrace. I always knew she was going to be obsessive over our daughter so it was no surprise she was completely tracking her every move around the flat whilst giving both of us parenting advice (despite never having children herself) and asking us how we go about doing absolutely everything with her and pointing out how we could be doing things differently.

They all had a long day on Tuesday and as my daughter is teething she was quite sore and crying a lot and not sleeping well. At night I got in from work and gave her last feed at 1830, she was obviously exhausted and she nodded off whilst lying on me on the couch which she does sometimes. I had planned on just leaving her there for a while and then change her and put her to bed after 7 as we usually do but the aunty came up to us both and said “oh no we can’t be letting her sleep otherwise she’ll be grumpy when we change her and put her to bed” and then woke her up by propping her head up! I couldn’t believe she did this, my girlfriend never saw it as she was in other room but she soon knew about it as my daughter was then furiously crying because she had been rudely awoken. We changed her and put her to bed and within 5 minute she had spewed all of her milk up, my Mrs shouted through for me to come through to help but before I could get in there the aunty bolted in and grabbed our screaming, spewing 8 month old baby off her and charged through to the sitting room with her when she still hasn’t finished spewing up. In her 8 months alive I have never seen her in anywhere near as much distress as she was after this, this includes during bad spells of colic and a time I hit her on the head with a PlayStation controller. After we cleaned up the spew and changed her she was still screaming the house down and the aunty hadn’t let go with her butting in, i had enough by that point and made it perfectly clear that I was shutting the nursery door on her face as me and my Mrs are more than capable of dealing with our daughter when she is upset. We watched an episode of Peppa pig on our I pad and she soon calmed down and was back to her usual self, we could hear the aunty hovering outside the room and she was definitely pressed up to the door at times.

Even after we got her to sleep and returned to the sitting room for an episode of The Cry she still wouldn’t back down asking if she could go into the room and “feel her” just to see if she was okay. She was still insisting on taking her temperature (which would wake her up), she insisted that i didn’t drink any more beer in case I had to drive her to the hospital in the middle of the night and she kept jarring my girlfriend to cancel her plans for the next day just to be safe. She was on the phone to her husband (who is an even bigger screwball) saying she might have to stay for an extra night to help us out! I eventually had enough and went to bed at 9 o clock, by half 9 my girlfriend had given in and let her aunty come into the room so she could check our sleeping daughters temperature just by letting her touch her on the head. The last thing I heard her saying before she finally fucked off out of our room was “if you do feed her in the middle of the night don’t give her too much.” What the f**k sort of advice even is that?!

I gave her a lift to one of her other nieces house on Wednesday morning after my girlfriend convinced her that she would be able to cope on her own and she was quite clearly unaware as to how much of a nuisance she had been and was threatening to come down for another visit before Christmas! Absolute fucking nightmare.

You need to tell your wife that in future should Auntie Arsehole decide to visit and act like you’ve described above, you’ll be telling her to f**k off and/or brutally murdering her.

You need to tell your wife that in future should Auntie Arsehole decide to visit and act like you’ve described above, you’ll be telling her to f**k off and/or brutally murdering her.

Well she has said she’ll just make excuses and not allow her to stay overnight. Her husband seriously is 100x worse and one time they were staying with us he completely flew off the handle at her over a software issue on his laptop, we always imagined having just her to stay would be a walk In the park but were completely wrong about that!

I honestly think she is just a fantasist who liked pretending she was a parent for a few days as she has no kids of her own. Tragic I know, but there’s no need for it to be taken out on us.

Well she has said she’ll just make excuses and not allow her to stay overnight. Her husband seriously is 100x worse and one time they were staying with us he completely flew off the handle at her over a software issue on his laptop, we always imagined having just her to stay would be a walk In the park but were completely wrong about that!

I honestly think she is just a fantasist who liked pretending she was a parent for a few days as she has no kids of her own. Tragic I know, but there’s no need for it to be taken out on us.
Why are you having these people to stay anyway?

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

If they have a few quid, stick in 

Why are you having these people to stay anyway?

Her husband was away for a course last week and she wanted to meet our baby. Last time they stayed with us was May 2016, and they probably came and visited us twice in the 2 years before that.

They are usually okay with us and focus most of their attention on my girlfriends sister who stays in Manchester who they often stop off with when they have to travel down south for work. They are genuinely obsessed with her to the point of major creepiness:

I just see no benefit in us having them in our life whatsoever.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Her husband was away for a course last week and she wanted to meet our baby. Last time they stayed with us was May 2016, and they probably came and visited us twice in the 2 years before that.

They are usually okay with us and focus most of their attention on my girlfriends sister who stays in Manchester who they often stop off with when they have to travel down south for work. They are genuinely obsessed with her to the point of major creepiness:

I just see no benefit in us having them in our life whatsoever.

Are they old? Where there's a will there's a way. 

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

I think they’re about 64, i think they own a property mind you so I’m as well biting my tongue for the next few years and seeing how it pans out.

If your daughter misbehaves you could threaten her with Auntie. That could make the next visit interesting. 

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

I think they’re about 64, i think they own a property mind you so I’m as well biting my tongue for the next few years and seeing how it pans out.

That's it, see the big picture. These loons are there for the taking. In a few years, send the wean to theirs for holidays. Everybody's happy.

Picked my wee boy up from Nursery today and he excitedly showed me the envelope that contained his invite to his wee pal's birthday party. 

Got home and opened it up and discovered that it's a weekend that we've already arranged to go away.  

He's absolutely buzzing that he's been invited to this party and we've had to tell him he can't go.  If his reaction of confused disappointment wasn't enough, he picked up the invite and quietly asked if he could take it with him when we went away so he could pretend he was at the party.

Dusty as f**k in my house.

f**k you.  You're crying. 

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

Oh, we reached that stage with my daughter ages ago.  :lol:

You’re N.M area aren’t you? I meant someone I knew years ago in kids a&e few weeks back. We got talking about kids parties. She’s clarkston and said it’s competitive !!! 

Her eldest had been invited to an alpaca trekking Party. Wtf!

1 minute ago, Rowan said:

You’re N.M area aren’t you? I meant someone I knew years ago in kids a&e few weeks back. We got talking about kids parties. She’s clarkston and said it’s competitive !!! 

Her eldest had been invited to an alpaca trekking Party. Wtf!

Yeah there is a bit of that goes on.  The last one she went to was a tubing party at Bellahouston Ski Slope, which did look like a lot of fun.

Sod that though, Sporty Kids Soft Play FTW.

Catherine has turned into a wee monster the last few days. In particular at bedtime. She's always been a brilliant wee girl at bedtime, in bed and away to sleep in minutes with no trouble. Lately she's having a complete meltdown and insisting she sleeps on the floor with me lying beside her. I need to lie there until she falls asleep and then creep out. Then if she wakes up I either need to do the same again or take her into bed with me in the spare room. I ask her what's wrong and she says "I don't know". Says she doesn't want to sleep in her bed. 

Anyone any advice? A phase? Last of her teeth coming in I think, maybe that? Obviously a lot going on at home just now so trying to give her some leeway but don't want this to go on for long or become a habit. What's best to do? Her timing is impeccable. 

40 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Catherine has turned into a wee monster the last few days. In particular at bedtime. She's always been a brilliant wee girl at bedtime, in bed and away to sleep in minutes with no trouble. Lately she's having a complete meltdown and insisting she sleeps on the floor with me lying beside her. I need to lie there until she falls asleep and then creep out. Then if she wakes up I either need to do the same again or take her into bed with me in the spare room. I ask her what's wrong and she says "I don't know". Says she doesn't want to sleep in her bed. 

Anyone any advice? A phase? Last of her teeth coming in I think, maybe that? Obviously a lot going on at home just now so trying to give her some leeway but don't want this to go on for long or become a habit. What's best to do? Her timing is impeccable. 

We found wee incentives for going to bed and staying there worked with Isabelle.  We got an old shoe box and stuck in some daft wee bits and bobs from poundland, stickers and shit like that, and if she went to bed without any fuss and stayed there till the morning she'd get to pick a treat from the treat box.

Just to be transparent, this did not work with Adam and he's a little shite.

We also got one of those GroClock things which worked as well, you set it that the face turns blue for night time and then you specify a time that it changes to yellow when the sun "comes up" and they stay in bed till then.

Hope you're doing ok, good to see the wee man getting bigger :thumsup2

Edited by KnightswoodBear

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Hopefully just a phase. When my wee girl was about 2 1/2 she was the same. Always gone to bed no bother but then refused to stay in her bed. We had a baby gate on her room. Would put her in bed and a minute later she'd be at her gate wanting attention. She started just sleeping in the doorway (some things she takes from her old man) with her blanket and we'd pick her up and put her into bed. It became part of the routine for a couple of months but she soon decided bed was more comfy than floor. Probably just a bit of natural rebellion about wanting to stay awake and not miss out on what's going on. Sure she'll grow out of it before long. 

9 hours ago, Rugster said:

GroClock and sticker charts would be my go to.

Alex was similar. Getting out of bed, thinking it was a game or demanding to go toilet and saying hungry. All came out of nowhere at bed time.
We set a routine for bed time and that cured most of the issues. He gets kindle time before bed, up and changed, teeth and toilet time, into bed and two bedtime stories. Put in night light and say if he sleeps well he gets to pick his breakfast in the morning.

Seemed to sort it, the odd wobble that my wife pointed out happens around full moons (prob one for ootmob thread)