Pregnancy And Parenting

I appreciate some might find this relatively minor in comparison to some things discussed, but im absolutely livid. Working today so the mrs took our 11mth old to the outlaws for the day. My FIL is a big celtic fan and I couldnt hate the old firm more. My wee guys starting to pick up odd words and my mrs knows how strongly I feel about keeping him away from all the bile and shite of the old firm. If when hes older he decides to support one of the arse cheeks then thats his choice and il reluctantly accept it. Now ive said to her and him that I feel really strongly about it, but any time im down he sings celtic songs to him and today has been trying to get him to say celtic and sending me pics of him wearing celtic scarves etc. Its possibly more that im annoyed because I know its a dig at me but im fucking raging with both of them. I dont want to have a blazing row with her on her first mothers day but I dont know what to say both when she gets home and in future if that shite starts on visits. I know there are some decent old firm fans on here but im not having someone sing rebel songs etc to my kid and just feel really angry. Am I out of order?

Is it bad im actually trying to get a rangers scarf? Obviously not gonna do that but still fuming.

Your FIL will still want your son to support Celtic no matter what sadly, it is selfish of him but it’s pretty understandable for him to want his grand son to be like him. Hopefully your son will see sense and not become a glory hunter!

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

Hopefully this 5 year plan includes you no longer posting on here as well?

That was my plan about 7 years ago but here we are. 

Mind you, I’ll probably migrate to the Cuban P&B once I land in Havana.

Wonder if there will be a Cuban throbber?

I appreciate some might find this relatively minor in comparison to some things discussed, but im absolutely livid. Working today so the mrs took our 11mth old to the outlaws for the day. My FIL is a big celtic fan and I couldnt hate the old firm more. My wee guys starting to pick up odd words and my mrs knows how strongly I feel about keeping him away from all the bile and shite of the old firm. If when hes older he decides to support one of the arse cheeks then thats his choice and il reluctantly accept it. Now ive said to her and him that I feel really strongly about it, but any time im down he sings celtic songs to him and today has been trying to get him to say celtic and sending me pics of him wearing celtic scarves etc. Its possibly more that im annoyed because I know its a dig at me but im fucking raging with both of them. I dont want to have a blazing row with her on her first mothers day but I dont know what to say both when she gets home and in future if that shite starts on visits. I know there are some decent old firm fans on here but im not having someone sing rebel songs etc to my kid and just feel really angry. Am I out of order?
No you arent out of order. The subject matter or pettiness (as some would describe it, not me) is totally irrelevant. Wen it comes to the way you want to raise your child family members undermining that is way out of line. Specially when its deliberate like this sounds. Using your kid to score points off you. f**k that. Id be seething to m8.

48 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just get a divorce, move to Cuba and forget you ever had a child. Much easier.

Hide contents

Thats my 5 year plan anyway.

Shoot the f*****. (Your FIL, not your son.)

No you arent out of order. The subject matter or pettiness (as some would describe it, not me) is totally irrelevant. Wen it comes to the way you want to raise your child family members undermining that is way out of line. Specially when its deliberate like this sounds. Using your kid to score points off you. f**k that. Id be seething to m8.

I appreciate the sincere reply, it really was an attempt by him to use something with my kid to rile me up, no other reason for it. Ive tried to explain to her I really didn’t like it but shes not really that understanding.

I appreciate the sincere reply, it really was an attempt by him to use something with my kid to rile me up, no other reason for it. Ive tried to explain to her I really didn’t like it but shes not really that understanding.
Quick question, but is it just Celtic stuff or actually the political/sectarian stuff?

I think this difference matters.

If it's just Celtic stuff, then as hard as it is I think you need to suck it up a bit. My boy is 4 and he's still all over the shop when it comes to football teams and stuff, unless it's day in day out this stuff won't stick. When your baby is a wee bit older they'll play with Celtic and rangers fans and want to copy them, and start to name players. But you'll still have a much, much bigger influence than any of that. If you do it properly, and don't force it, your son will want to copy you.

If it's actually sectarian stuff then I think there's more of a justification to stand your ground, be it today or with a conversation later. Your missus wouldn't accept it with racism (presumably).

I'm trying to get my kids to support one of the Dundee teams, but they both want to support Ayr. At the same time the wee boy across the road is a Celtic fan and so they both like Celtic, but then they play with football cards and say they like the rangers badge. They're all over the shop, and that's absolutely fine.

I'll start taking them to dens and tannadice in the next few years and encourage them to make their choice (and then I'll buy some shit to solidify their choice).

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dont want to have a blazing row with her on her first mothers day but I dont know what to say both when she gets home and in future if that shite starts on visits. I know there are some decent old firm fans on here but im not having someone sing rebel songs etc to my kid and just feel really angry. Am I out of order?

You're actually on the money and it's your Mrs/her family who need a group pie-kicking.

I'm well aware of all the shite surrounding supporting a cheek and didn't want that for my son so the only grounds I took him to were Pittodrie and Adams Park in Wycombe and the only football shirt I bought him was an Aberdeen one - when we were living in Deeside and had a birthday day out with a few dads and weans.

Thankfully he took to egg-chasing so I'd buy him a Scotland rugby top each birthday.

Quick question, but is it just Celtic stuff or actually the political/sectarian stuff?

I think this difference matters.

If it's just Celtic stuff, then as hard as it is I think you need to suck it up a bit. My boy is 4 and he's still all over the shop when it comes to football teams and stuff, unless it's day in day out this stuff won't stick. When your baby is a wee bit older they'll play with Celtic and rangers fans and want to copy them, and start to name players. But you'll still have a much, much bigger influence than any of that. If you do it properly, and don't force it, your son will want to copy you.

If it's actually sectarian stuff then I think there's more of a justification to stand your ground, be it today or with a conversation later. Your missus wouldn't accept it with racism (presumably).

I'm trying to get my kids to support one of the Dundee teams, but they both want to support Ayr. At the same time the wee boy across the road is a Celtic fan and so they both like Celtic, but then they play with football cards and say they like the rangers badge. They're all over the shop, and that's absolutely fine.

I'll start taking them to dens and tannadice in the next few years and encourage them to make their choice (and then I'll buy some shit to solidify their choice).

He was singing what id consider material that isnt for kids political more than sectarian. Its not just this incident hes been an arsehole to me from the start, which I can take its just him using my kid to try and get a rise out of me.
I get that he’ll have friends who support the old firm and stuff (mostly rangers fans round here though), so im prepared for that to happen when he’s older, however I was going to try and see if he liked other sports as working in criminal justice I’ve almost had enough of the bile that is entrenched in WOS culture.
Obviously as I’ve said when hes old enough to make up his own mind (and i’ll take him to games myself, im a Bankies fan but I wouldnt be heartbroken if he decided he wanted to watch a senior club like St Mirren or Morton etc, they are local) if he supports one of the arse cheeks then fair enough, I mean i’d never buy a strip or a ticket or anything but he’s welcome to make any choice.
I just resent my kid being used to make a dig at me by my FIL.

You're actually on the money and it's your Mrs/her family who need a group pie-kicking.
I'm well aware of all the shite surrounding supporting a cheek and didn't want that for my son so the only grounds I took him to were Pittodrie and Adams Park in Wycombe and the only football shirt I bought him was an Aberdeen one - when we were living in Deeside and had a birthday day out with a few dads and weans.
Thankfully he took to egg-chasing so I'd buy him a Scotland rugby top each birthday.

Thanks, I really appreciate that, I get that most on folks aren’t into that shite but I know he’d be indoctrinated into the shite by him, thats why I dont want it to go any further.
Id love it if he got into Basketball or something like that, but hey its the west of scotland so it’ll be hard.
I get the irony of this on pie and bovril, but I’d just like him to love sport and not care about any of the shite which surrounds it in this country.

Thanks, I really appreciate that, I get that most on folks aren’t into that shite but I know he’d be indoctrinated into the shite by him, thats why I dont want it to go any further.
Id love it if he got into Basketball or something like that, but hey its the west of scotland so it’ll be hard.
I get the irony of this on pie and bovril, but I’d just like him to love sport and not care about any of the shite which surrounds it in this country.
You'll have a far, far bigger influence on his choices than him. Don't rise to the wind up, and be as active in your lad's choices as you can.