The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

It certainly isn't "amazing" with the story around Roode. A moany whiny heel who cheats to win every match? It's the pits! He's a talented guy, they could push him a lot better without having these cheap wins constantly.

They way I see it there are three types of heel:

a) The type you have descirbed above

b) A really sadistic b*****d, eg HHH circa 2004

c) A monster heel eg Mark Henry last year

How would you have booked Robert Roode?

They way I see it there are three types of heel:

a) The type you have descirbed above

b) A really sadistic b*****d, eg HHH circa 2004

c) A monster heel eg Mark Henry last year

How would you have booked Robert Roode?

You forgot about the cocky heel who wins cos they're so dam good, Altho they often are faces these days.

You forgot about the cocky heel who wins cos they're so dam good, Altho they often are faces these days.

TNA don't do that with smaller guys(I mean not Mark Henry size) because that would make the face look bad, so they put in ref bumps and cheating so as not to damage the face.

HHH around 2000 was the strongest heel going. And he won cheating. Not because he had to. But because he WANTED to. Robert Roode does the same. He's made it clear that's what he does too. He made a point of saying he won matches clean for a long time and then got screwed, so why keep doing that? He's a good character, is booked strongly and is a high point of TNA booking.

"HE'S A GOOD WRESTLER! CLEAN WINS!"

Doesn't work like that.

I'd have booked Roode to be the heel who just can't be beaten, with the odd cheat thrown in for good measure. If they want to push these guys who they believe have talent, book them in a way that highlights this. That said, I really enjoyed Impact last night for the first time in ages.

Is the "fantastic heel champion that can't be beaten because he's too good and therefore an arrogant sod" not what they've done with Austin Aries in the X-division? Surely having both your main singles champions working the same gimmick would be a bit of over-kill unless they were part of a Legacy type group?

I'd have booked Roode to be the heel who just can't be beaten, with the odd cheat thrown in for good measure. If they want to push these guys who they believe have talent, book them in a way that highlights this. That said, I really enjoyed Impact last night for the first time in ages.

The problem with that is that they are only really using Hardy and Storm as the main event faces, so if Roode was beating them cleanly consistently then it makes them look shit. How many times has Roode defended his title? I want to say each of them twice and then the fourway with them and Bully Ray. So it makes sense to have him cheat to win, when their main event pool is relatively small(although they could push AJ again if they wanted to.

Is the "fantastic heel champion that can't be beaten because he's too good and therefore an arrogant sod" not what they've done with Austin Aries in the X-division? Surely having both your main singles champions working the same gimmick would be a bit of over-kill unless they were part of a Legacy type group?

Yeah, although he's cheated a couple of times too.

What's the point of booking a heel because they have talent though? You book heels because they're c***s. That's the idea. Robert Roode has been good at that and the booking has allowed him to excel in such a way. He created a lot of buzz as a blue chipper babyface, but there can't be any doubt now what role he's best in.

Roode was a good face but he was never really going to be a main eventer from it. In hindsight, losing to Angle at BFG was the best thing that happened to him. Much better heel than face in my opinion.

Edited by punk_dfc

Roode was a good face but he was never really going to be a main eventer from it. In hindsight, losing to Angle at BFG was the best thing that happened to him. Much better heel than face in my opinion.

Yeah, he plays the rich guy very well and it lends itself to a better heel than face.

I'll be watching purely because it's the final one before Mania.

This.

Time does Raw start?

2am.