The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

If they want to go bigger then they would need to have someone like Punk or Orton beat Taker, that'd make it huge.

edit: Sky Bet also giving prices, but they've got the 12 man tag and Divas match in there too. On there, Rhodes is 1.91 and Big Show is 1.80! laugh.gif D.Bryan at 4.00 though!

Edited by forehead7

Also Vince McMahon is saying he wants to make next years' Mania even bigger than this one. With the current dearth of stars on the roster, what possible matches could he book for that? Rock/Cena II is an obvious one, and something like HHH/HBK is a possibility. I could even see a one off type of match featuring someone like Brock Lesnar or Batista against someone. Perhaps even a Stone Cold one off return? We shall see what happens. Stone Cold/Punk could be good for example. Although it's sad that WWE have made such a mess of developing new talent that they're having to rely on guys that have left and guys that have retired so much for the big events now.

Cena vs Taker

Punk vs Austin

Jericho vs Ziggler WWE Championship

Barrett vs Orton vs Sheamus WH championship

Mysterio vs Sin Cara

MITB

Beth Phoenix vs Kharma

Done

Although WWE would massacre such an idea, I think it would be decent to see a stable of guys who came from ROH or similar indy promotions. They've got Punk and Bryan of course, and they've got Tyler Black (Seth Rollins), Claudio Castignoli (Antonio Cesaro), Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno) and Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose) all in FCW. They could have a sort of invasion type angle. I reckon in theory it could be brilliant, but in practice WWE would utterly destroy it in a dreadful manner, and very quickly.

No offence but that sounds horrendously bad.

Also Vince McMahon is saying he wants to make next years' Mania even bigger than this one. With the current dearth of stars on the roster, what possible matches could he book for that? Rock/Cena II is an obvious one, and something like HHH/HBK is a possibility. I could even see a one off type of match featuring someone like Brock Lesnar or Batista against someone. Perhaps even a Stone Cold one off return? We shall see what happens. Stone Cold/Punk could be good for example. Although it's sad that WWE have made such a mess of developing new talent that they're having to rely on guys that have left and guys that have retired so much for the big events now.

I was speaking to the Hero of the Day the other day, and was saying - how good would it be if Cena turned heel at Mania, picked up a couple of big enforcer types in A-Train and maybe Kane, won the title at Extreme Rules and held it until Mania, beating every face in the company over the course of the year. After picking up a dodgy Elimination Chamber win (where 2 of the other 5 could be A-Train/Kane), he comes out to cut a promo saying he's beaten everyone the WWE has to offer and no-one can get near him. The lights go out, Taker comes out, and that's the match. It's announced in advance that it will be Taker's last ever appearance. That, to me anyway, would be money.

No offence but that sounds horrendously bad.

I was speaking to the Hero of the Day the other day, and was saying - how good would it be if Cena turned heel at Mania, picked up a couple of big enforcer types in A-Train and maybe Kane, won the title at Extreme Rules and held it until Mania, beating every face in the company over the course of the year. After picking up a dodgy Elimination Chamber win (where 2 of the other 5 could be A-Train/Kane), he comes out to cut a promo saying he's beaten everyone the WWE has to offer and no-one can get near him. The lights go out, Taker comes out, and that's the match. It's announced in advance that it will be Taker's last ever appearance. That, to me anyway, would be money.

Oaafftt that would be brilliant mate :rolleyes:

That would be great, but I'm not sure I want to see Cena with the title for that long. And WWE only have a limited amount of faces, if Cena turns heel then you've only got Punk left on Raw who's a proper title contender unless you move/turn people.

I also can't see them making Taker's match for either title, because that takes away another match that would be on the card, although having the title in Taker's match would really leave the winner open and would make me think Taker would lose a lot more than when it's just him vs HHH.

What are people's thoughts on the tag team division these days?

When HHH took over - there was talk of creating a tag team division with 6-8 teams and for a while it looked that way with Air Boom, Awesome Truth, Ziggler/Swagger, Usos, Gabriel Slater etc however that all seems to have fallen flat.

I can't understand the reasoning for splitting up Awesome Truth at all (Miz has went back to doing fcuk all and Truth is sh1t as a face again)

Maybe its just me but I would ensure every single Raw and Smackdown had a tag team match of some sort with actual tag teams and not Teddy Long style of just throwing guys together.

I also think tag teams need to go back to having their own gimmicks/characters and even their own music/attire and coming to the ring together, I don't buy a tag team that each has their own entrance, whats the point!

If you were to start from scratch in the WWE roster, how would you reshape the tag division, what teams would you make, gimmicks etc?

I think they've been victims of circumstance somewhat. I think the idea of pushing tag teams was something of a forced one, but with Air Boom at the helm they seemed pretty serious about it. When that went tits up, they seemed to give up.

I really dislike the idea of creating a match a year in advance, they've tried it for Cena v Rock and i'm looking forward to the match, however the build up hasn't been as good as what it should have been for what is arguably the biggest match since Rock v Hogan.

For me, you can't create a truly exciting match when there's very little physical confrontation beforehand. All this talking is boring, you can tell that Rock and Cena have struggled lately, as they've been restricted to the same material. I understand that Rock's movie career limits his availability for WWE events, yet to have a tag team match at Survivor Series and then pick up the feud again three months later, just doesn't work.

This doesn't solely apply to Rock/Cena, as the build up for HHH v Taker has been dull as well. They've had to make it a HIAC match with HBK as special referee, just to make it somewhat interesting, otherwise no-one would give a shit, as there's been no physical altercations between the two, plus we've already seen it twice before at Mania.

I hope WWE doesn't arrange a match a year in advance, as it takes away the element of surprise.

I'd say the build up to the Cena vs Punk match at Money in the Bank was far superior than this Wrestlemania. I think the problem is that the Rock disappeared for half the year due to his other commitments, and then you have Punk taking it up a notch during the second half of the year. I'm not even massively interested in the Taker vs HHH match, while last years match was excellent Hell in a Cell has gone downhill since the no blood policy came in, making it essentially a normal match with the option of one guy smashing the other off a fence. Get the feeling they've invested so much into Rock vs Cena, Punk vs Jericho has been a damp squib in terms of storyline but will be a good match.

Was thinking the other day that 5 out of the 7 people involved in the big matches at this year's Wrestlemania made their names in the Attitude Era or before (Taker, HHH, HBK, Rock and Jericho).

They proved they can make stars if pushed properly (like Cena) but this happens far too rarely. Frustratingly, Punk is one of the very very few occasions they have actually listened to what fans want and ran with it (although they nearly ballsed that up).

Looking forward to Wrestlemania but not as much as I should be, knowing that Rock and Jericho can walk away anytime, HBK is retired, Undertaker wrestles once a year and if HHH wins it'll be because of who he's shagging rather than anything else.

I'd say the build up to the Cena vs Punk match at Money in the Bank was far superior than this Wrestlemania.

They really struck it lucky with that build up though. Circumstance told them it was the obvious way to go, it was Punks mic work that had everyone worked into a frenzy prior to the match.

If you were to start from scratch in the WWE roster, how would you reshape the tag division, what teams would you make, gimmicks etc?

Introduce superstars as an actual tag team rather than 2 singles competitors on the mid card linking up.

I think another problem is that a lot of main events over the course of the year are tag team matches that hype up feuds, for example in the build up to wrestle mania, they tend to do a main event like sheamus and punk vs daniel bryan and jericho. For me this takes the 'something different' away from the tag team division.

They really struck it lucky with that build up though. Circumstance told them it was the obvious way to go, it was Punks mic work that had everyone worked into a frenzy prior to the match.

Totally agree, Punk is brilliant on the mic, so in this feud why have him on the defence all the time, it makes no sense to me at all.

Cena will beat The Rock. Why would they have their number one guy lose to a part timer. Again, that would make no sense.

Anyone else noticed that they have barely mentioned the streak in the build up to Taker HHH? Yet again though, it makes no business sense in having HHH beat Taker, what I can see is this match being used used as a vehicle for HHH v HBK match next year. I hope I am wrong though.

Good too see Hakushi making a come back after Mania. He was great.

Probably best to ignore cliches that were last rolled out the best part of 10 years ago.

Yeah, an absolutely ridiculous claim.

Totally agree, Punk is brilliant on the mic, so in this feud why have him on the defence all the time, it makes no sense to me at all.

Good too see Hakushi making a come back after Mania. He was great.

You can't really have the face champion be offensive(on the mic) towards the heel challenger.

Is Lord Tensei not Prince Albert? I thought that was pretty obvious.