The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Oh, and I say Backlash 2000 for best ever PPV.

HHH/Rock, Benoit/Jericho, Rios/Eddie, DX/Edge and Christian, Scotty/Malenko.

Gold. I might even be forgetting something. I'm pretty sure I am.

The Hardcore match! Jeff Hardy climbed one of those massive props, the pincer looking thing! Also Big Show/Kurt Angle, but that was pish.

Anyway, was staying at a mate's house last night who has Sky so got to see Raw for the first time in ages. The matches were pretty decent. Good promos all round, save for the boaky one with Morrison doing that stupid jump over Mysterio! Was a bit taken aback at the amount of boos Punk was getting, although he was definitely getting a lot of cheers too. The positive reaction for Cena took me aback too, alothough plenty of boos as well. In storyline terms, Cena can hardly whinge, as he won the title by beating a guy who had to fight a tough match on the same show. Tainted win in storyline terms I'd say.

Punk didn't just randomally mention Jericho, Foley, Lesnar and Batista.

Actually, aye. He did. It was the best names he could use with the promo he was cutting.

No stipulations were added to this match between Punk and Cena, were there?

I can't see that happening either. Christian/Orton is No Holds Barred.

Was a bit taken aback at the amount of boos Punk was getting

You're forgetting that a lot of young Cena fans see Punk as the enemy at the moment and will still boo him.

The Hardcore match! Jeff Hardy climbed one of those massive props, the pincer looking thing! Also Big Show/Kurt Angle, but that was pish.

Aye, the hardcore one was brilliant. Much better than the shitfest at Wrestlemania 2000. I liked Show/Angle. A short wee match with Big Show being fun as "Showster".

Pretty good opening segment, really tense.

Shite battle royal. I don't think I've ever heard Beth Phoenix talk before. Heel turn for her? Couldn't give a shit. Sportsmanship talk from Lawler? laugh.gif

Tag match was alright. I agree that an inactive Miz/Truth tag champs setup would be better than the current jobbers having them.

Dolph's new music is shite.

Del Rio just raped Bourne, absolute job-fest. Was still good to watch though.

John Laurinaitis is a douchebag, seems like someone you'd never get tired of slapping about. I hope to f**k they let Punk win, they need to, there'd be f**k all point in reverting back to the exact same thing by letting Cena win.

John Laurinaitis is a douchebag, seems like someone you'd never get tired of slapping about. I hope to f**k they let Punk win, they need to, there'd be f**k all point in reverting back to the exact same thing by letting Cena win.

There would be ONE point...

The way I'd LOVE to have seen the angle continued is if they went with Punk vs Cena in a best of 3 series or something. Match 1 of the series at SummerSlam, then the final two at the next 2 PPV's or one at SS one on an episode of RAW and the final one at the next PPV.

There would be ONE point...

I assume you mean a Cena heel turn?

That's the only way they could drop Punk's title and continue to build his momentum, I reckon. In fact, Cena screwing over Punk, winning the title and becoming a heel would be an even bigger push for Punk than if Punk simply beat Cena cleanly, with the added bonus of creating an absolute monster heel in Cena. Punk winning would end the feud there and then, heel Cena winning would push the feud on for months and gather huge heat. Cena winning and remaining face would kill it all stone dead and make the last 2 months pointless.

I assume you mean a Cena heel turn?

That's the only way they could drop Punk's title and continue to build his momentum, I reckon. In fact, Cena screwing over Punk, winning the title and becoming a heel would be an even bigger push for Punk than if Punk simply beat Cena cleanly, with the added bonus of creating an absolute monster heel in Cena. Punk winning would end the feud there and then, heel Cena winning would push the feud on for months and gather huge heat. Cena winning and remaining face would kill it all stone dead and make the last 2 months pointless.

Would build the Rock - Cena Wrestlemania match far better if one of them was a heel as well I think.

How in the name of shit did I forget about Canadian Stampede? The main event is an undeniable classic, Taka and Sasuke tear the house down as do HHH and Mankind. Undertaker and Vader also have a belter. It's a short but sweet PPV with all killer and no filler.

Wrestlemania X-7 suffers from repeat viewings for me. Stuff like Eddie/Test, Benoit/Angle and HHH/Taker don't come across as well as they used to and stuff like Chyna/Ivory and the six man were always shit.

That's the only way they could drop Punk's title and continue to build his momentum, I reckon. In fact, Cena screwing over Punk, winning the title and becoming a heel would be an even bigger push for Punk than if Punk simply beat Cena cleanly, with the added bonus of creating an absolute monster heel in Cena.

Indeed. The instant heat CM Punk would get from such a move would be really good and a real chance to create a new #1 babyface in WWE.

A discussion about THE best PPV of all time is now turning into a list, but f**k it :P.

Favourite PPV is probably still this one

Canadian Stampede

Shame that there is music playing over the video, the noise of the crowd was literally shaking the camera during the 10 man tag.

Canadian Stampede is proof that a crowd can completely make a PPV. Without that crowd I reckon it would have ben no more than a decent PPV.

As I already said RR 2000, in fact any PPV from the first half of 2000 will do. RR, No Way Out, Backlash, Judgement Day and then it went all the at to Armageddon. Gret year.

SummerSlam '98 was a cracker.....so was SS '02.

And for sentimental reasons ONS 2005 and '06.

Sting is so so good right now.

Agreed! It doesn't matter how much of a blatant rip off the Joker that he is, he's utterly brilliant right now and this coming from someone who has never been a Sting fan. It was also brilliant to see Abyss get his tatties in the Ultimate X match, he's an utter tool.

Really looking forward to Hardcore Justice to see Angle v Sting though

My favourite PPV ever is WMX8. Hogan-Rock, Hall-Austin, HHH-Jericho Flair-Undertaker and plenty of decent stuff on the undercard. That would be closely followed by Survivor Series from the same year (2002) - the first elimination chamber and the debut of Steiner. 2002 was my favourite year for wrestling, the WWE roster was amazing.

My favourite PPV ever is WMX8. Hogan-Rock, Hall-Austin, HHH-Jericho Flair-Undertaker and plenty of decent stuff on the undercard. That would be closely followed by Survivor Series from the same year (2002) - the first elimination chamber and the debut of Steiner. 2002 was my favourite year for wrestling, the WWE roster was amazing.

Not to forget the 24 hour hardcore title match or something like that.