The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

The problem isn't that there's no one to fill Cena's role if he turned heel, it's that the WWE are fcking garbage at making stars now - giving guys huge pushes for a few weeks and then just completely giving up on them when Vince gets fed up.

I read an interesting point on PWI's Q&A the other day suggesting that the reason WWE don't make huge stars could be quite deliberate. When Austin left, they struggled to fill that gap. Now if they've got a happy middle ground between being over and being a top star for the majority of their guys they won't have that problem to deal with again when the very top guy packs it in.

Edited by garymcc1874

Cena won't turn heel. He'll walk out on The Rock I think as a measure of revenge for the Wrestlemania incident, and I think that's why he picked Rock as his partner. It won't be a full scale heel turn though. Who's got it in them to be the full time poster boy for WWE when he turns heel?

This is spot on, has to be.

Edited by M0rtonfc

They way I explained that was absolutely horrific. Here's the comment:

This is perhaps an unanswerable, and possibly theoretical question... but doesn't it appear that VKM is intentionally holding some wrestlers down and unduly pushing others. I think the net effect is to have everyone in a kinda-over status. That way they can control all wrestlers' popularity and not have any breakout stars they can't keep control of - to stop one entity from being the driving force of the company- like when Austin got fed up and left.... they were left scrambling to fill the void. My theory is that they would rather have a number of tepid superstars than one white-hot breakout star. Kind of evening the popularity factor over a number of wrestlers vs a few outrageously popular ones - and then the rest.

Edited by garymcc1874

They way I explained that was absolutely horrific. Here's the comment:

[/b]

You explained it well btw.

But the problem is that, what if Cena gets fed up with it. Or he suffers a career ending injury? Then they're fucked for that spot. They'd need to push Punk or Orton into that spot.

I just watched an old interview with the rock from september last year at a UFC event. He was asked if he'd ever wrestle again and said, he that he felt that was past as he had achieved everything he could in his time there.

Just shows how quickly things can change!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaR6JztbdqU&NR=1

Sorry don't know how to put the wee active view screen in.

I found Bull Buchanan bloody hilarious, in fact I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of that segment, then again, if it'd been anyone other than Foley anchoring it chances are it'd have been a train wreck, that man is justincredibly likeable, Cena's delivery and input in he segment was excellent as well.

It's an interesting point as well Gary, Vinny Mac certainly seems like the controlling type (pretty sure that's why Foley quit while he was commentating?), and that would allow him to keep a reign on the wrestlers at his disposal, but surely the bigger the stars he has (as long as they're under decent length contracts) the better it is for him? They also seem to be pushing Punk to the moon just now as well.

I don't personally think it's that they're trying to hold guys back from being mega stars, but rather wrestling just isn't as popular as it was when Austin and the Rock were in their prime, so it's that bit harder to create mega stas. While obviously being phenomenal performers, I also think the likes of austin and The Rock benefitted hugely from being the top guys while wrestling was at the crest of a wave.

Edited by J_Stewart

I still maintain that Cena will turn heel at Mania against The Rock.

They'll do that depending on how things go with CM Punk. They're pushing him BIG at the moment, and he's been sustained as the #2 man in WWE for some time, even ahead of Orton. I think there's a degree of sillyness beginning to come through in his promos which has always worked for Cena with the kids. If he can rise on the road to Wrestlemania, he may well be the top dawg, especially going against Cena who will have crushed everyone.

That comment garymc posted isn't true I don't think. The problem is that WWE don't seem to sustain pushes for any great length of time. They throw shit at a wall and expect it to stick instantly and when it doesn't, they move onto something else. They were close to giving up on CM Punk after Money in the Bank didn't do too well. That's the mentality we're dealing with people. Now we've had Alberto Del Rio look constantly strong this year, as well as Mark Henry, CM Punk and Sheamus has been pushed well too for a time. I think WWE are beginning to get the point to an extent, and again, I think Triple H is playing a key role here, being a fan of the older business models.

Disappointed with Turning Point last night. Agree further up that the Impact Zone just makes any sort of atmosphere completely flat. They should really take their PPV's on the road. I get how the Impact Zone saves a bunch of overheads but they could easily make it back up with ticket sales going around the US.

Best moment of the night was the crowd chanting for Steiner. The fact he's so terrible on the mic makes him so good, he's hilarious infact!

Can't really think of much else of note. Shame AJ was injured but I also feel sorry for him, it was a match he was never destined to win, with almost no build up at all. Horrible ending as well, horrible way to end a PPV.

Austin Aeries again was superb and comical.

Inc Ink need shot, especially Shannon Moore. How they get tv time is beyond me.

Best match of the night was Eric Young v Robbie E. Two favourites of mine right now. Eric Young is a fantastic wrestler in his own right, but the end to the match wasn't worthy of their performance.

Is this like SOL? Where you will be back this Sunday for Survivor Series?tongue.gif

:lol:

Nah, it's not like I've sworn off it or anything, just that I'm not interested in what's going on. I got up to see the Rock on Monday night and it was pish, and that was the first WWE I'd watched in a month. I considered switching to Impact on Tuesday night but watched the darts instead. I read on UKFF that the only reason you'd buy SS this weekend is to see the Rock in his pants, and I have to agree with that.

:lol:

Nah, it's not like I've sworn off it or anything, just that I'm not interested in what's going on. I got up to see the Rock on Monday night and it was pish, and that was the first WWE I'd watched in a month. I considered switching to Impact on Tuesday night but watched the darts instead. I read on UKFF that the only reason you'd buy SS this weekend is to see the Rock in his pants, and I have to agree with that.

How disturbing :P

I think the ADR v. Punk title match has got the potential to be brilliant. There's very little on the rest of the card that looks particularly interesting though as I can't see Show and Henry having as good a match as they did last time out. Hopefully they'll continue to push Barrett and have his team come out on top, although I'd doubt it.

My 10am class on Monday was cancelled a week ago or so(Lecturer is away all week) and I just received an email saying my 11am class has been cancelled as well(wasn't gonna go anyway but it's nice to know I'm not missing anything). This means that I'm in at 2pm on Monday. Survivor Series will be watched live thumbup2.gif

I read on UKFF that the only reason you'd buy SS this weekend is to see the Rock in his pants, and I have to agree with that.

Isn't that why everyone is watching it? huh.gif That and John Cena.