Livingston - all the threads merged

Martindale said in his St Johnstone match preview that he's told some players to find new clubs. I don't know who those players are so I'm not going to discount anyone yet. Here's how next season's squad looks so far.

Goalkeeper is George with Hamilton as reserve.

Centre backs are Obileye and Boyes with De Lucas and Parkes as reserve.

Brandon will be first choice right back and a cheap reserve, possibly even a loan signing, will need to be made.

Left back is Montano with Penrice as reserve.

Centre mid is Holt and Sean Kelly. It's possible Bitsindou could come back in as reserve to Sean Kelly. At least one centre mid will be signed, possibly two if Bitsindou is decided against. Shinnie has been tried at centre mid but I'm unsure if that'll continue next season. Pittman's ball winning you'd think would make him a candidate but he's yet to be tried in the holding mid duo.

Across the attacking mid line, the squad is well-stocked with 6 players for 3 positions. Pittman for the central role, with Shinnie or Stephen Kelly also able to play there. The latter two can also play left, as can Bahamboula. On the right, Bradley is likely first choice with Bahamboula and Penrice also options.

Centre forward is Anderson with currently Guthrie as reserve.

I predict a right back will be signed. At least one, possibly two centre mids. Then a centre forward may be found to swap Guthrie out with. It won't be Goncalves, who is contracted but will be moved on. Bahamboula's recent lack of game time means he might not be considered for next season and will need replaced. I rate him and hope he is kept on but I'm speculating on Martindale's thinking here. All the above is based on a 4-2-3-1 being continued with. If there's a significant tactical change to that then it mostly goes out the window.

Edited by FreedomFarter

48 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Martindale said in his St Johnstone match preview that he's told some players to find new clubs. I don't know who those players are so I'm not going to discount anyone yet. Here's how next season's squad looks so far.

Goalkeeper is George with Hamilton as reserve.

Centre backs are Obileye and Boyes with De Lucas and Parkes as reserve.

Brandon will be first choice right back and a cheap reserve, possibly even a loan signing, will need to be made.

Left back is Montano with Penrice as reserve.

Centre mid is Holt and Sean Kelly. It's possible Bitsindou could come back in as reserve to Sean Kelly. At least one centre mid will be signed, possibly two if Bitsindou is decided against. Shinnie has been tried at centre mid but I'm unsure if that'll continue next season. Pittman's ball winning you'd think would make him a candidate but he's yet to be tried in the holding mid duo.

Across the attacking mid line, the squad is well-stocked with 6 players for 3 positions. Pittman for the central role, with Shinnie or Stephen Kelly also able to play there. The latter two can also play left, as can Bahamboula. On the right, Bradley is likely first choice with Bahamboula and Penrice also options.

Centre forward is Anderson with currently Guthrie as reserve.

I predict a right back will be signed. At least one, possibly two centre mids. Then a centre forward may be found to swap Guthrie out with. It won't be Goncalves, who is contracted but will be moved on. Bahamboula's recent lack of game time means he might not be considered for next season and will need replaced. I rate him and hope he is kept on but I'm speculating on Martindale's thinking here. All the above is based on a 4-2-3-1 being continued with. If there's a significant tactical change to that then it mostly goes out the window.

A pretty fair summary Freedom.

Yes; right back is a bit of a quandary. We've got a number of players who can fill in at left back including Longridge (if he's still around) and Sean Kelly although that was less than perfect (he says diplomatically).

I had great hopes for Bitsindou but he seems to have struggled in settling into the Scottish game; that being said we've had a number of other players who struggled with that.

Not sure what's happening with Kabai but he doesn't seem to have featured for QoS after being taken off after 15 mins against the Pars in February. Another one I had big hopes for after his game at Celtic Park when he got Brown sent off but he never really seemed to come back properly after his injury.

Bahamboula is a player who played hot and cold this season; some games he was virtually unplayable whereas others he was mediocre (by his previous standards). If he could improve his consistency to maintain his best performances then he could really be a regular starter - but its a big "if".

The Penrice/Montano right back position is likely to remain a fluid one. Penrice is better defensively but Montano is better with the counter attacks up the wing. I suppose it will really depend on the teams we're playing at the time. If they depend a lot on pacey wingers then Penrice would probably be my choice; but if they played a mote flat; through the centre attack then surely Montano is the choice; particularly if the opposition have a suspect right back.

Of course the fate of Jack Hamilton (the forward) is still unclear. The same sort of goes for Fitzwater who has started dropping hint about how much he enjoys (not enjoyed) his time her. Maybe he's after a new contract seeing as all interest in him from other quarters seems to have evaporated following his drop in form from Christmas or there abouts. Personally I would prefer he moved on.

46 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

All the above is based on a 4-2-3-1 being continued with. If there's a significant tactical change to that then it mostly goes out the window.

I do wonder if we might see a move back to the 3-5-2. We tried it (generally unsuccessfully) at times this season but with the right players and a full pre season I can see Martindale moving back to that. 

Montano and Brandon seem to suit playing further forward but are also quite adept defensively. Retaining Parkes, Boyes, Obileye and De Lucas as well as Sean Kelly who has been dropping into defence in recent games gives us plenty of defensive options for a back 3. It would also allow us to play the disruptive forward, you mentioned, alongside Anderson as he has become quite isolated in the second half of the season. 

George

Boyes - De Lucas - Parkes

Brandon - Se Kelly - Holt - Montano

St Kelly

Anderson - Nouble

That's how I'd see our strongest line up with the players we have under contract for next season. I'm fully aware Nouble will likely be away though. 

We definitely need at least one more Striker to compliment Anderson, if county go down I wouldn't be against us trying to lure Jordan White back to play that role. I can also see us keeping Jack Hamilton (the striker) as a backup if we're playing 2 up top.

Hopefully the return of teams hating playing against us, meltdowns about big dirty Livi. Martindale knows how to get me hyped up.

Livingston boss vows to fix 'soft' side during summer transfer window

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-vows-fix-soft-30101622

Courier Sport understands midfielder Scott Bitsindou and attackers Kurtis Guthrie and Esmael Goncalves are players who have been told to find other clubs.

Edited by LiviLion

https://twitter.com/LiviFCOfficial/status/1663109180398489600?s=20

Livingston FC can confirm that the following players will depart the club following the completion of the 2022/23 season and the expiry of their contracts.

Nicky Devlin
Jackson Longridge
Jack Fitzwater
Stephane Omeonga
Brian Schwake
Jaze Kabia

Men’s first-team Manager David Martindale said: “It goes without saying that I offer my thanks and very best wishes to those players moving on this Summer.

“I’ve spoken to other players still under contract with the club and explained that some won’t be in my plans next season and that they are free to speak with other clubs if the opportunity arises.”

2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Hopefully the return of teams hating playing against us, meltdowns about big dirty Livi. Martindale knows how to get me hyped up.

Livingston boss vows to fix 'soft' side during summer transfer window

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-vows-fix-soft-30101622

I think the tighter budget for next season could be a blessing in disguise in regards to this. We'll have players playing for not huge sums of money but with the idea that they'll get the opportunity to show their talent off on the big stage. Some of the players who would be some of out higher earners looked a little "comfortable" this season compared to the guys from our first few premiership years who were fighting for everything

5 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I can also see us keeping Jack Hamilton (the striker) as a backup if we're playing 2 up top.

Was he not on a loan with mandatory future fee to Hartlepool. I am sure he is no longer our player. 

Interesting that Schwake is down as a departing player. I imagine we have offered him a contract so it would mean he could not move without a development fee. Perhaps the Brighton deal has moved forward further. 

4 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Was he not on a loan with mandatory future fee to Hartlepool. I am sure he is no longer our player.

I think it was optional fee, not sure if there was chat of them possibly paying it (hard to remember what I saw on here, or from some melt on Facebook, or something semi-reliable). He did seem to get a bit better for them as the season went on, with them dropping into the National League they might see him as a good option.

15 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Not sure what's happening with Kabai but he doesn't seem to have featured for QoS after being taken off after 15 mins against the Pars in February. Another one I had big hopes for after his game at Celtic Park when he got Brown sent off but he never really seemed to come back properly after his injury.

Jaze apparently had an attitude issue. He was given another chance at Morton and Queens but clearly he didn't grasp it. A good player on his day but doesn't seem willing to work for it

Schwake is a shame, I'm assuming that we've offered him a contract and it's his decision to move on as we're still being reported as getting a development fee for him. Good luck to him.

Kabia showed a ton of potential 3 years ago, but has done absolutely nothing with it and is now struggling for game time in League 1. Sounds like an attitude problem, get rid, next. Jackson's just not at the level required.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fitz, Omeonga and Devlin were our 3 highest earners, and they've not given us that return this season. Fitz has been mentally away since the WC, Omeonga has mainly been on the bench this season, and Devlin, while a loss, is replaceable. Not too disappointed about any of those. 

If Guthrie, Esma and Bitsindou have all been told to leave, great. We can do better with all of them, and I imagine Esma in particular is on a decent wage.

2 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Fitz, Omeonga and Devlin were our 3 highest earners, and they've not given us that return this season. Fitz has been mentally away since the WC, Omeonga has mainly been on the bench this season, and Devlin, while a loss, is replaceable. Not too disappointed about any of those. 

If Guthrie, Esma and Bitsindou have all been told to leave, great. We can do better with all of them, and I imagine Esma in particular is on a decent wage.

My understanding is Tom Parkes is our highest earner. Fitzwater would have been on a decent wage though too. Omeonga apparently took a massive pay cut to come to us and put himself in the shop window. Devlin may have been up there with him being captain too

That's good news then that it's only Bitsindou, Guthrie and Goncalves who Martindale has told to find new clubs. Bahamboula is staying and there's potentially a lot still to come from him.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I do wonder if we might see a move back to the 3-5-2. We tried it (generally unsuccessfully) at times this season but with the right players and a full pre season I can see Martindale moving back to that. 

Could well do. Obileye is at his best in middle of a back three. Boyes would be great left of a back three. Brandon is a very attacking full back so would do well at wing back. Bahamboula actually did well at right wing back the few times he played there this season. Montaño and Penrice are ideally suited to wing back on the other side. Anderson and Nouble would be a great strike duo until the latter leaves. Only Bradley doesn't fit well into a 3-5-2 although he did once play right wing back for us this season. He could be used there how Lawless was for us in 18/19 or he could be converted into a forward in the front two.

6 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Could well do. Obileye is at his best in middle of a back three. Boyes would be great left of a back three. Brandon is a very attacking full back so would do well at wing back. Bahamboula actually did well at right wing back the few times he played there this season. Montaño and Penrice are ideally suited to wing back on the other side. Anderson and Nouble would be a great strike duo until the latter leaves. Only Bradley doesn't fit well into a 3-5-2 although he did once play right wing back for us this season. He could be used there how Lawless was for us in 18/19 or he could be converted into a forward in the front two.

Yeah, I had it in my head that Boyes was right footed. De Lucas - Parkes - Boyes is probably our strongest back 3 currently. De Lucas and Boyes have the mobility to help Parkes. Parkes and De Lucas have the aggression in the air to help Boyes. Boyes and De Lucas are very good with the ball at their feet. They should (on paper) compliment each other well

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Any time I've thought of a back 3 Bradley and Moyo are the ones I struggle with. You could have them as wing backs if you accept they're more attacking and make sure your sitting mid on that side can go over for cover while they're up the pitch. I think you could also have them just behind Anderson and likely floating between wings depending on how the game's going with Anderson keeping central, bit of a free role like we saw Forrest have on occasion.

Moyo's height alone probably makes him a default target man option; which Bradley doesn't have.

3 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I think the tighter budget for next season could be a blessing in disguise in regards to this. We'll have players playing for not huge sums of money but with the idea that they'll get the opportunity to show their talent off on the big stage. Some of the players who would be some of out higher earners looked a little "comfortable" this season compared to the guys from our first few premiership years who were fighting for everything

That for me is the difference in the latter part of the season, accounting for the drop off in away results. There is a fine line between us winning games and losing them, we haven't the budget to have as good a quality squad as a lot of the teams, so we need the ones we play to make up for that with effort and application, winning the battles allows us to get the best out of our more talented players, when things are going right for us we've seen Bradley and St Kelly thrive, Anderson too, but in recent games it just isn't happening for us, and a lot of that is to do with us being 2nd best winning 1st and 2nd balls. Then we start playing long and that just doesn't suit Anderson at all. 

I'd also like us to try and get a big physical forward as a plan B, for Anderson to play off, Guthrie was prob meant to be that player, but it hasn't worked out for him, he's a bit awkward looking and it doesn't stick to him, though he may have been able to work better with Anderson, knocking it onto him, but he was mostly used with Nouble, and they were too alike, in that one or the other would've worked better with a smaller more mobile player.

The clear out gives us hope we can rejuvenate the hunger and desire again, for players to work their arses off for one another.