Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, MacArab said:

Thanks. I am clearly being some kind of fucking moron here, because when I click on that it tells me I don’t have the privileges on my account to select a seat in the East stand and to select one I the West instead…..

I tried registering againunder a different email with the same result…..

Clearly something a simple as buying a match ticket is beyond me in this case….

Almost sounds like you've signed up as a home fan

Wonder if we'll see a reaction from the players after this interview from Martindale. Livingston boss David Martindale warns he may have to walk away if performances don't improve - Daily Record

“It’s up to me to get the best out of the boys and if I can’t do that then the club either needs to get new players in or I need to go. It’s that simple and I’ve said that to the players.

9 hours ago, Durnford said:

Panayiotou on paper could have worked out if you only view his time with Aldershot prior to his joining us. his history since (2 goals in 38 appearance at National League level) probably says more though.

Aye, that's it, there's method in all these signings. You can see why Martindale has taken the punt on them at the time. Goncalves had previously played and succeeded in this league. Poplatnik had a decent scoring record in his career. Lokotsch (remember him?) was young, had physicality, and had done quite well in the German fourth tier the previous season. 

Stryjek was a bargain basement signing who did work out. He had his flaws, obviously, but he did a job in his time with the club. Guthrie has struggled but its not unthinkable he could improve if he's kept on for next season. Bitsindou is another bargain basement signing who'll be considered again for next season. Sean Kelly has been made captain which suggests Martindale now views him as a regular starter. Bitsindou might be deemed good enough to be Sean Kelly's back up as midfield anchor.

38 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Wonder if we'll see a reaction from the players after this interview from Martindale. Livingston boss David Martindale warns he may have to walk away if performances don't improve - Daily Record

With the folk in the Facebook group who're a bit on the panicky side, they should look at the recent record of decision-making from the club's board. It's flawless. Keeping Hopkin on after relegation to League One when other clubs would've sacked him. Realising Kenny Miller was a risk so only giving him a probationary contract. Having the good judgement to see it wasn't going to work so booting him at the end of that probationary period. Replacing Miller with Gary Holt who was fantastic for us. Keeping a relationship of such strong mutual trust and respect with Gary Holt that when things looked a bit irredeemable, Holt communicated this and stepped aside. By the way, the lack of ego from Holt there was astonishing. He genuinely put the club's fortunes before his own which is so unusual in a manager. A true Livi legend for all he achieved for us while manager but also for how he departed. The board then put Martindale in as manager, having successfully stewarded his career with the club in various roles until then.

Martindale with his statement there is really just reiterating what we already know. That he and the board have their finger on the pulse regarding management of the team and if a problem does develop in future then they'll resolve it.

Edited by FreedomFarter

Aye, seems a bit of a boot up the arse not just for the players who won't be here next season, but also for those who are under contract - if you can't show you're good enough, you'll be out the door.

Obviously we won't be able to just start punting players at no cost unless they've got another club lined up, but hopefully we can see a bit of a reaction for the last few games. 

Genuinely could be a bait for players that might want him gone. If a few down tools then he knows who is actually good for the club and who needs binned. I can't see us telling him to leave, and similarly I think he'll want to turn it around for the good of his career. 

Both Livi and Martindale owe each other so much, the mutual respect is there and he should get as much time as he needs. There's no one better to turn it around than him - I'm confident in saying most other managers trying to make it work on that budget will have us relegated next season

15 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

If any players think they can down tools and try to force him out the door, they can get to f**k.

Would hope all Livi fans back Martindale here. 

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Would hope all Livi fans back Martindale here. 

Rational ones definitely do/will. There's the odd moon unit that will want him sacked, but it's the kind of person that will say that after any defeat and nothing after a win.

Obviously the last few months have been incredibly immensely shit, but it speaks volumes that we could lose the rest of our games and still stay up. Our main goal for the season was achieved by January, just a shame we couldn't keep it up.

I'm not sure who these players that may be trying to force a change are? Holt, Shinnie, Pittman have signed numerous previous deals, Sean Kelly, Steven Kelly, Boyes and Bradley have all signed under Martindale, and the rest Martindale signed anyway. 

The biggest problem is players who are leaving, rather than players who want a change at the club

As @LiviLion said, that forum has numerous posters who seem to believe one thing and see it in everything. At the moment that includes

- Leigh Griffiths being a realisitic option

- Martindale not having experience in the staff after Bartley left (despite Berra having more English and Scottish Premiership, as well as International experience) 

- Martindale needing Bartley to be good and lacking tactical knowledge, ignoring his success before Bartley joined and his role under Hopkin/Holt

Edited by The Wrong Car

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I will say that I'm not sure Maley and Hastings are experienced enough for what we need in a coaching capacity. Although I know nothing about their quality levels as a coach

I’d agree with that compared to Imrie and Bartley, however some folk are mad about the lack of experience yet ignore the 40+ capped, former Premiership captain in the dugout 

1 hour ago, The Wrong Car said:

I’d agree with that compared to Imrie and Bartley, however some folk are mad about the lack of experience yet ignore the 40+ capped, former Premiership captain in the dugout 

I think styles make coaches too, Berra seems to like playing a high line with an offside trap. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the defenders we have aren't as good as Berra at his peak. There's something to be said for being simple yet effective, although with a good preseason behind them and new players it might be the best option. A blank slate for Berra to work with rather than trying to teach players new things when they're used to Bartley's tactics over a few years.

Continuity in coaching is a big thing, which makes sense why we have Maley/Hastings. Guys like Berra/Bartley/Imrie won't stay around at Livi for too long if they're good at what they do

Wonder if Bartley would be interested in coming back to Livi as 1st team coach/manager, when Martindale maybe decides to take a step back from that position and moves to a Director of Football role, where he's targeting players and signing them, something he's been very good at. It would be a less stressful position for him if it's getting too much, he looks decidedly pissed off in these post match interviews. I wouldn't want to lose him at Livi, he's been a big influence in our success. Some managers wouldn't want a DoF interfering on them trying to do their own thing, but Bartley knows Martindale and vice versa, i think they could make it work.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I think styles make coaches too, Berra seems to like playing a high line with an offside trap. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the defenders we have aren't as good as Berra at his peak. There's something to be said for being simple yet effective, although with a good preseason behind them and new players it might be the best option. A blank slate for Berra to work with rather than trying to teach players new things when they're used to Bartley's tactics over a few years.

Continuity in coaching is a big thing, which makes sense why we have Maley/Hastings. Guys like Berra/Bartley/Imrie won't stay around at Livi for too long if they're good at what they do

I'd agree with that - Bartley was much more established at Livi (former captain, reserves manager, coach and assistant) and worked with highly motivated players

Berra has had no preseason, and jumped in to a defensive group that has one eye on the door or suffering the impact of injuries. Very harsh to judge at the moment

5 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I will say that I'm not sure Maley and Hastings are experienced enough for what we need in a coaching capacity. Although I know nothing about their quality levels as a coach

Maley is, at best, a sunday league goaley, not premiership material... Just a gig he got for being Martindale's seat sniffer

22 minutes ago, Roger the cabin boy said:

Maley is, at best, a sunday league goaley, not premiership material... Just a gig he got for being Martindale's seat sniffer

Ged Nixon come on down :D another new account with bad things to say about the board and Martindale

5 minutes ago, Roger the cabin boy said:

Can't say a bad word about the guy making a shambles of the club can we 🙄... Let's be serious mate 

Who's making a shambles of the club though, seriously? We've survived this season, everyone's done their job at the club this season. Anything else was a bonus but expectations have been met

Just now, ATLIS said:

Who's making a shambles of the club though, seriously? We've survived this season, everyone's done their job at the club this season. Anything else was a bonus but expectations have been met

We need to be best of the rest mate, there's still £££ at stake here, and for a club crying "Lowest budget, lowest budget!" we aren't half putting a stick in our own spokes.