Livingston - all the threads merged

3 minutes ago, Roger the cabin boy said:

We need to be best of the rest mate, there's still £££ at stake here, and for a club crying "Lowest budget, lowest budget!" we aren't half putting a stick in our own spokes.

We don't need anything like that :D The aim every season is staying up, however we do that, it's a success. 

Already publicly known that the difference between 8th/7th/6th makes no difference as the jump is taken up by player's bonuses. If we lost every game until the end of the season, I'd still be fine. Next season is what matters now.

Just now, ATLIS said:

We don't need anything like that :D The aim every season is staying up, however we do that, it's a success. 

Already publicly known that the difference between 8th/7th/6th makes no difference as the jump is taken up by player's bonuses. If we lost every game until the end of the season, I'd still be fine. Next season is what matters now.

This just isn't true? First, why would there be player bonuses for the failure that's gone on the last 7 away games? And second, there's over a hundred grand difference per spot in the bottom six. If we finish 7th over 9th we're two hundred plus grand better off !😂

2 minutes ago, Roger the cabin boy said:

This just isn't true? First, why would there be player bonuses for the failure that's gone on the last 7 away games? And second, there's over a hundred grand difference per spot in the bottom six. If we finish 7th over 9th we're two hundred plus grand better off !😂

You're talking nonsense, bonuses are contracted. You can't decide not to pay them, appearance fees etc. Yes, over 100k difference, of which around 65-75k is paid out in bonuses to players for achieving a 6th placed finish. That scales down based on positions

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

You're talking nonsense, bonuses are contracted. You can't decide not to pay them, appearance fees etc. Yes, over 100k difference, of which around 65-75k is paid out in bonuses to players for achieving a 6th placed finish. That scales down based on positions

How do you know, are you Davy Martindale?🤣 Even if it's scaled down you're still getting more by finishing higher lol.

11 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

It's £60k between placings in the Bottom Six. This is from 2019 but given the SPFL haven't published any revised figures since, we can assume that's due to it not having changed.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

definitely out of date, It's probably just more than 100k now

Despite the economic downturn of the last few years, the SPFL has managed to pull a big stack of cash out its arse?

Edit: Here's increased SPFL profits being announced and League Cup prize money was increased off the back of that. There was no mention of league prize money being raised, though. It may've been but you'd think it'd be something the SPFL would want to publicise as it'd reflect well on them.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-record-financial-results

Edited by FreedomFarter

Livi need to be finishing 2nd/3rd.

We shouldn't honour players contracts because we've gone off form (even though we're still staying up)

Your linked source from the competition's website is incorrect because I'm going to say 'probably'

I can't decide which of those is my favourite

Bradley and St Kelly need to be taking pot shots at Utd's goal tomorrow, their keeper is mince but Shinnie was the only one to have had a shot in that pre split game, and the keeper fumbled it. Their defence is shaky as feck too, but we played into their hands lobbing high diagonal balls into their box, get it down and run at them, Nouble esp was very quiet and played it safe, instead of his usual game of taking players on and hitting the byeline.

We should be playing without nerves, being pretty much safe sitting on 42pts, but this losing streak we're on has built up and put pressure on the players, so the first goal is as vital for us as it is for them, whoever scores it will have a massive advantage, and the other team will prob crumble. Hopefully it's us scoring and it lifts the weight from the players and they start playing without fear.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I have no idea how good a coach Maley/Hastings are. However, suggesting they are terrible coaches because they did not play at the highest level sounds odd. There are plenty of successful managers/coaches who did not have glittering careers as players and there are plenty of superstar footballers who did not make it as manager/coaches. Being good at one does not necessarily mean they are good at the other and vice versa.

15 hours ago, Roger the cabin boy said:

Shamal George before Christmas was making decent saves and not letting in goals like he has been lately. Maley does not have the qualifications to evolve the keeper beyond his own ability which is probably minimal... how could he not be a nepo hire???

It's a stretch (no pun intended btw) to suggest that Shamal's dip in form is down to Maley, regardless of what you think of him. As with many of our players, Shamal came to us with potential to be great at this level. He was never the finished article, case in point his positioning for Tavernier's goal in the first game of the season. It's hard to argue that the goals he has let in of late are the result of coaching. The defence has been woeful in most games starting with the cup game against Inverness, leading to Shamal being tested more frequently than at any point in the season and therefore more likely to concede. There have also been times where his own lapses in concentration have lead to him letting in a shot he could have saved and I doubt he would disagree. You could see his reaction to the first goal against Killie. He was frustrated with himself (and, no doubt, the defence in front of him). 

Ultimately, it is up to fans individually to determine whether they think the players or the staff are at fault for the poor end to the season. However, I think comments like this are unreasonable. 

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Bradley and St Kelly need to be taking pot shots at Utd's goal tomorrow, their keeper is mince but Shinnie was the only one to have had a shot in that pre split game, and the keeper fumbled it. Their defence is shaky as feck too, but we played into their hands lobbing high diagonal balls into their box, get it down and run at them, Nouble esp was very quiet and played it safe, instead of his usual game of taking players on and hitting the byeline.

We should be playing without nerves, being pretty much safe sitting on 42pts, but this losing streak we're on has built up and put pressure on the players, so the first goal is as vital for us as it is for them, whoever scores it will have a massive advantage, and the other team will prob crumble. Hopefully it's us scoring and it lifts the weight from the players and they start playing without fear.

We are mathematically safe already, something in the details about two of the teams at the bottom playing each other means they can't catch up to us

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

We are mathematically safe already, something in the details about two of the teams at the bottom playing each other means they can't catch up to us

Yep, Ross County and Kilmarnock would both need to win all their games to catch us, and they play each other on the last day so they can't both get to 42 points.

8 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Livi need to be finishing 2nd/3rd.

We shouldn't honour players contracts because we've gone off form (even though we're still staying up)

Your linked source from the competition's website is incorrect because I'm going to say 'probably'

I can't decide which of those is my favourite

It's from 2019 -  you are aware of the concept of inflation and the fact that Scottish football has more money in it than it did then? I don't need an abacus and a green visor to prove a 'probably' in this context.

6 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

downing tools and being pictured at another club while still contracted by Livi and still technically club captain....never thought I'd see Devlin in a bad light but my opinion of him has soured a bit. He, and others in the squad, owe Martindale some HUGE performances in the last 3 games.

The big performances were due weeks ago, anything they do now is meaningless as there's little to nothing to gain