Livingston - all the threads merged

My old next door neighbour was a jambo, bumped into him at a Livi v Hearts game there, knew lots of them when i lived in Whitburn too. My new neighbour is a Sevco fan, but got a Livi ST for him and his son, as didn't want to take him to games at Ibrox, or their away games really. Lots of Hibs fans walking down to our ground from Livingston too.

Don't see the football being shite as a reason though, whether you think it is or not, like FreedomFarter i've enjoyed a lot of our games this season, and Nouble has been a joy to watch. If the product on the pitch was a valid reason not to go to games then Utd, Hibs, St Johnstone, Killie, Ross County, Motherwell, and even Aberdeen for a huge part of the season, would've seen a big decline. Utd have gone through 2 managers and struggled down the bottom of the table , and don't know for sure what division they're playing in, but their ST renewals for next season are in the thousands. 

I think if we continue doing what we're doing, we'll build our support, but it'll take time, we're now into 2nd generation Livi fans having kids and taking them to games, other clubs have over a hundred years on us doing that.

The key is free tickets for kids. The parents of these kids have never gone to live football they've instead always just watched it on TV. So it's not about getting them to swap Ibrox or Parkhead or even Tynecastle for Almondvale. It's about getting them to swap their sofas for Almondvale. They might have some faint allegiance to Rangers or Celtic but that's not going to cause them to turn down a Saturday afternoon out with their kids at a football match. From personal experience, it was free tickets that initially got me going to Livi games as a kid.

3 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

You do get a few Hearts fans in places like Broxburn who go to Tynecastle on Saturdays but that's a minority. Really, Livi are competing with the sofas and armchairs which get sat on by English Premier League fans with their Sky subscriptions and Ran/Cel fans with their Viaplay subscriptions.

Attending matches in person beats that and that's what Livi offers. Contrary to the above poster's opinion, I've loved the football these last few years. Watching Nouble has been a lot of fun this season, the best player on show since probably Serrano. I also love seeing unorthodox talents arise like Montaño. The local lad factor is always nice too with McMillan previously, Penrice and Pittman. Obileye's penchant for rousing goals from set pieces. Stephen Kelly's exquisite precision shots. There's plenty other players making similar memorable contributions. Since Martindale, there's been a noticeable change in style for home matches. A more deliberate and controlled build up is often used now rather than just the "second balls" approach of Hopkin and Gary Holt. Its been great as a fan watching all this evolution and improvement.

When I was in high school there was more Hearts/Hibs fans than Celtic/Rangers that grew up in Livingston. At least in my age group anyway. Weirdly enough the majority was in favour of Hibs. We definitely suffer from the Edinburgh two but it might fly under the radar a bit

Looking at the squad there isn't too many changes he can make really, i was wanting Bahamboula in for Nouble, but Nouble played much more like himself and Bahamboula came on and looked like Bambi on ice trying to play football. Devlin was one of our better players too, though we really don't know how Brandon would do as a RWB, getting down the wing and putting balls across, but next season that's what he'll be doing, so why not play him instead of Devlin to get some game time. Bahamboula may just need a run of games and be a bit match rusty, so prob best giving him the last 4 games too.

Parkes is back fit to play, but obv can't be thrown in for the full 90 mins in games, but would like to see de Lucas starting instead of Fitzwater, and Parkes coming on for the last 15/20 replacing Boyes.

That's about it i think, dropping Fitz, Nouble, and Devlin, who will all be away. Pittman for St Kelly is about the only other option, but don't think Kelly is playing badly, and the same for Montano being replaced by Penrice.

The main problem in attack is we're not making runs and driving forward enough, too many players standing still waiting for a pass, then when they get it they're closed down and knock it back again, they need to be on the move making runs, and getting the ball played in behind them.

Interesting interview from Davie. Interesting comments about lack of effort from people leaving at the end of the season or with their minds on their holidays; "their desire's not really there at the moment". Shame its a few months too late.

Fair play to Davie for saying how it was.

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

Interesting interview from Davie. Interesting comments about lack of effort from people leaving at the end of the season or with their minds on their holidays; "their desire's not really there at the moment". Shame its a few months too late.

Fair play to Davie for saying how it was.

Takes him a bit longer to come to those conclusions than the fans watching it, was the same with the weird change in formation and tactics against St Mirren, repeating them for the Motherwell game, then admitting they didn't work. Would like him to be more proactive making changes when things are glaring not working, and making the changes a lot quicker.

Dear knows why he persists with bringing Guthrie on, esp when  taking Anderson off, the one player who presses and makes runs all game, for a less mobile player that can't make anything stick when having the ball fired up to him. I really think he could do with an experienced No2 helping him out for next season.

Also, could we start playing the ball on the deck to Anderson's feet, or in front of him, where he can run onto the ball, i'm absolutely sick and tired seeing Anderson having the ball played high and long to him, seeing him battered by a big CB, and having absolutely no chance winning the ball, or doing anything with it. 

Hopefully we don't do anything stupid like offering Fitzwater a new contract. Can't imagine there's many clubs queuing up for his signature now after three months of jogging around the pitch aimlessly.

Leastways Devlin looks like he's trying even if his concentration is a bit shot.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Hopefully we don't do anything stupid like offering Fitzwater a new contract. Can't imagine there's many clubs queuing up for his signature now after three months of jogging around the pitch aimlessly.

Leastways Devlin looks like he's trying even if his concentration is a bit shot.

He probably got a move 3 months and 1 day ago, hence his recent performances

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Takes him a bit longer to come to those conclusions than the fans watching it, was the same with the weird change in formation and tactics against St Mirren, repeating them for the Motherwell game, then admitting they didn't work. Would like him to be more proactive making changes when things are glaring not working, and making the changes a lot quicker.

Dear knows why he persists with bringing Guthrie on, esp when  taking Anderson off, the one player who presses and makes runs all game, for a less mobile player that can't make anything stick when having the ball fired up to him. I really think he could do with an experienced No2 helping him out for next season.

I think Martindale has known for a while, he just cant risk coming out and saying it while there's something to play for. 

Anderson's fitness falls off a cliff after 70 minutes, I can see why he takes him off. The unfortunate thing for us is that the only actual backup to him is Guthrie/Esma/Hamilton. That's the reality of our finances kicking in, we have to cut costs somewhere and a backup striker is one of the areas we've done it. It shows though, he's terrible.

27 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think Martindale has known for a while, he just cant risk coming out and saying it while there's something to play for. 

Anderson's fitness falls off a cliff after 70 minutes, I can see why he takes him off. The unfortunate thing for us is that the only actual backup to him is Guthrie/Esma/Hamilton. That's the reality of our finances kicking in, we have to cut costs somewhere and a backup striker is one of the areas we've done it. It shows though, he's terrible.

That's cause he runs about knocking his pan in for those 70 mins and the only service he gets is high balls knocked up to him and a big CB climbing over the back of him. I'd still rather have him on for the full 90 than taking him off for Guthrie.

For months/seasons I was desperate for us to keep a player up the pitch when we defended corners, we recently started leaving Anderson up on the halfway line, but we haven't once launched the ball up the pitch for him to chase the ball and have a go at scoring on the quick counter. Instead Shamal stands holding the ball in his arms, waiting for everyone to get up the pitch, and the opposition players all back in a defensive formation. Only when Nouble is up the pitch does he boot the ball up the opposition half. It does my head in.

Another thing that is grinding my gears (may as well get it off my chest as i'm on a bit of a rant), whenever we actually play the ball on the deck and work it quickly through midfield and up the wings we always cause havoc, so why oh why for about 80% of the game do we keep launching high balls up the pitch, after the obligatory moving it around back the back line for 5 mins, working it up to the halfway line, then boot, up into the air it goes.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

For months/seasons I was desperate for us to keep a player up the pitch when we defended corners, we recently started leaving Anderson up on the halfway line, but we haven't once launched the ball up the pitch for him to chase the ball and have a go at scoring on the quick counter. Instead Shamal stands holding the ball in his arms, waiting for everyone to get up the pitch, and the opposition players all back in a defensive formation. Only when Nouble is up the pitch does he boot the ball up the opposition half. It does my head in

That absolutely does my head in; particularly when you see the likes of Montano or Bradley sprinting up on the wings, or Anderson ready to make a break and leave his markers behind, yet George persists in cuddling the ball until everyone's settled.

Having said that, pretty much the only time he boots it quickly, the ball goes straight out for an opposition throw in..

8 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

That's cause he runs about knocking his pan in for those 70 mins and the only service he gets is high balls knocked up to him and a big CB climbing over the back of him. I'd still rather have him on for the full 90 than taking him off for Guthrie.

For months/seasons I was desperate for us to keep a player up the pitch when we defended corners, we recently started leaving Anderson up on the halfway line, but we haven't once launched the ball up the pitch for him to chase the ball and have a go at scoring on the quick counter. Instead Shamal stands holding the ball in his arms, waiting for everyone to get up the pitch, and the opposition players all back in a defensive formation. Only when Nouble is up the pitch does he boot the ball up the opposition half. It does my head in.

Another thing that is grinding my gears (may as well get it off my chest as i'm on a bit of a rant), whenever we actually play the ball on the deck and work it quickly through midfield and up the wings we always cause havoc, so why oh why for about 80% of the game do we keep launching high balls up the pitch, after the obligatory moving it around back the back line for 5 mins, working it up to the halfway line, then boot, up into the air it goes.

I think the issue with leaving him on is that he'll probably start to pick up injuries if he's left on longer than he can contribute at full effect. Then that leaves us with Guthrie for weeks on his own. 

Part of me is already yearning for those League Cup group games where we've got a squad of unknown new guys and seeing how they fare against some lower league jobbers, preferably Airdrie again. I think that is the point each season where I've got the most optimism about the club :D - good weather, away days and games we should be winning at a canter. 

I hope Martindale starts feeling more comfortable in playing good football against the likes of St Johnstone, both Dundee clubs, Ross County etc as we've got the quality to take it to them. 

48 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

If Isma & Guthrie are moved on, I can see us bringing in Frank Nouble. 

I've been thinking the same for a few weeks, Torquay went down. He's with the same transfer consultancy/agency that Joel is with. Seemed to do really well at Torquay as well. 

One Nouble out, one Nouble in. Either that or does Nouble want to stay, change his mind and play a season with his brother? 3 in 8 at National League level in a relegated team is hardly inspiring but for a backup striker that's the market. A lot of experience under his belt

Edited by ATLIS

Think we'll get another year of Shinnie, which I'd be happy with. Another season of Nouble would be a dream but I think we'll cash in - wonder if we'll get any figure worth mentioning if QPR decide to sell Dykes too.

Of our players out on loan:

Schwake - out of contract I believe, hopefully get him signed up again and possibly another season in the Championship
Isma - by all accounts has continued to be shite at Raith, I will personally give him a piggyback to any club that wants him
Bitsindou - doesn't sound like he's done too well at Arbroath without being terrible, don't think we'd need to keep him for defensive mid or CB, another loan or mutual consent
Hamilton - keep, can't see us getting anything for him and must be a better option than Guthrie; no idea if his time at Hartlepool has improved him in any way but we're light on strikers and he'd at least be an option
Kabia/Longridge - both out of contract and I'm guessing 0 chance they'll be offered anything

Guthrie away either on loan or permanently in addition to the above and I think we've got a decent base for next season and hopefully enough in the budget to strengthen a bit, leaves us looking for a RB and another attacking player (striker/winger) as a minimum.

George

Brandon  -  de Lucas  -  Boyes  -  Penrice

Holt  -  Se.Kelly

Bradley  -  St.Kelly  -  Moyo

Anderson

Isn't really a bad place to start, especially with the usual main goal of avoiding relegation. Even a 3-5-2 is workable but we'd really need to work on it and you probably want another CB brought in, and it's whether or not Bahamboula or Bradley would be able to play either up front or as a wing back.

George

Parkes  -  Obileye  -  Boyes

Brandon  -  Holt  -  St.Kelly  -  Se.Kelly  -  Montano

Anderson  -  Moyo