Livingston - all the threads merged

I very rarely criticise opponents.

But guys that was one of the most disgraceful displays I have seen from any team in over 40 years - a team who in 90 minutes showed little or no ambition other than to play for penalties - by hook or crook.

Performances like that are what chases people from football.

Rant over.

First of all, it's a bit hypocritical to criticise us after the trademark anti-football approach Rangers adopted en route to the UEFA cup final in 2008. You bored everyone to tears with that pish.

Secondly, we're a team of limited ability, particularly going forward. It'd be wrong to say that we didn't make any effort to attack. We just weren't capable of doing anything when we had the ball.

Burchill's strategy was a pragmatic one. Rangers have a much more able team than us and were playing at home. Better to sit in, frustrate and hope to nick the odd goal/take game to pens than push up and expose ourselves to a thrashing.

If it pissed you off that we played the way we did then that's your problem. I'm not denying that such performances aren't great to watch but, realistically speaking, it was the best chance we had of going through.

Also you fail to address the callous tackling throughout that a stronger ref would have dealt with - the first tackle in the game could easily have been a red card

That was easy. It was a tackle on an English player by a Scot so it's acceptable. As The Idiot Burchill said:

"Kieron Gibbons is a young, talented Scottish footballer who has signed for a Scottish club. Nathan Oduwa is an English footballer who has not signed for a Scottish club. So we are dragging someone over the coals who is one of our own - who is a player who could possibly play for Scotland in the future."

Edited to add a link to Burchill's dreadful comments:

http://www.clyde1.com/superscoreboard/features/listen-again/

His comments are made in the first few minutes of the program.

Edited by The_Kincardine

That was easy. It was a tackle on an English player by a Scot so it's acceptable. As The Idiot Burchill said:

"Kieron Gibbons is a young, talented Scottish footballer who has signed for a Scottish club. Nathan Oduwa is an English footballer who has not signed for a Scottish club. So we are dragging someone over the coals who is one of our own - who is a player who could possibly play for Scotland in the future."

Edited to add a link to Burchill's dreadful comments:

http://www.clyde1.com/superscoreboard/features/listen-again/

His comments are made in the first few minutes of the program.

Yip.

CR3nGrnWoAAcEn_.jpg

I haven't seen any of the match or the tackles which are being discussed but that statement from Burchill is hilariously woeful :lol:.

Full thing still awful, but the RST have cherry picked it. Plus, Chris Graham = 'lol'.

Martin Williams in The Herald:

"THE LIVINGSTON manager Mark Burchill has enraged Rangers fans after appearing to defend his midfielder Kieran Gibbons for a bad foul on Nathan Oduwa by pointing out hisplayer was Scots and "one of our own".

Rangers Supporters Trust called on the SFA to take the "strongest possible action" against Burchill over his comments

Oduwa, who is with the Ibrox club on loan from Spurs, was hurt in a challenge by Livingston's Kieran Gibbons during Rangers' win in the Petrofac Cup on Tuesday night.

Berwick Rangers footballer Andy Russell later called Oduwa, who has represented England from the Under-17 category, a clown onTwitter and suggested he deserved the challenge.

But when Mr Burchill discussed the events on Clyde 1 he prompted fresh anger when he said: "We've got to remember here, there'stwo players involved in this.

"Kieron Gibbons is a young, talented Scottish football player who has signed for a Scottish club. Nathan Oduwa is a an Englishfootballer who has not signed for a Scottish club.

So we are pulling someonewere dragging someone over the coal who is one of our own, who is a player who could possibly play forScotland in the future"

When challenged about his comment, he said he felt sorry for his player adding: "Kieran Gibbons is getting...everyone is saying, you know, this guy, leg-breaker, Kieran Gibbons has a career to have as well.

"And he will probably play in Scotland for the next seven, eight, nine, ten years. He is trying his best, he is trying to have a career, but Iwas trying to make out that the media, the social media, you have to be careful, there's two people involved.

"Kieran Gibbons didn't mean it, he just tried to win the ball, and he has suddenly been dragged over the coals. He is a young Scottishplayer, he might play for Scotland one day, you never know. But I don't feel he deserves that sort of accusations thrown at him that he'strying to break someone's leg, it's one of those things that happens."

He added: "The press have been constantly on at me today wanting to get his phone number. He's a 20-year-old guy who's played12 first team appearance for Livingston football club. I think it's pretty poor, six seconds into probably the biggest game of his life,playing at Ibrox, he makes an ill-timed challenge and he is getting hung out to dry, let's say."

The RST said: "The idea that Scottish players should be able to get away with serious foul play if their target is of another nationality isquite incredible.

"Burchill's comments are unwelcome and worthy of attention from the SFA if they are serious about tackling such issues in football. "

Fans objected to the comments on social media.

Earlier Burchill said: "If I'm honest, most of this has come from frustration from Rangers fans. They expected to turn up and beatLivingston four, five, six nil."

Winger Oduwa had already been at the centre of a storm earlier this season when Alloa player Colin Hamilton accused him of "takingthe p***" after a rainbow flick in Rangers 5-1 win in August.

Share article

Rangers fans have previously hit out at Russell, who has yet to score this season, after he posted a series oftweets that criticised Oduwa."

Full thing still awful, but the RST have cherry picked it. Plus, Chris Graham = 'lol'.

Martin Williams in The Herald:

"THE LIVINGSTON manager Mark Burchill has enraged Rangers fans after appearing to defend his midfielder Kieran Gibbons for a bad foul on Nathan Oduwa by pointing out hisplayer was Scots and "one of our own".

Rangers Supporters Trust called on the SFA to take the "strongest possible action" against Burchill over his comments

Oduwa, who is with the Ibrox club on loan from Spurs, was hurt in a challenge by Livingston's Kieran Gibbons during Rangers' win in the Petrofac Cup on Tuesday night.

Berwick Rangers footballer Andy Russell later called Oduwa, who has represented England from the Under-17 category, a clown onTwitter and suggested he deserved the challenge.

But when Mr Burchill discussed the events on Clyde 1 he prompted fresh anger when he said: "We've got to remember here, there'stwo players involved in this.

"Kieron Gibbons is a young, talented Scottish football player who has signed for a Scottish club. Nathan Oduwa is a an Englishfootballer who has not signed for a Scottish club.

So we are pulling someonewere dragging someone over the coal who is one of our own, who is a player who could possibly play forScotland in the future"

When challenged about his comment, he said he felt sorry for his player adding: "Kieran Gibbons is getting...everyone is saying, you know, this guy, leg-breaker, Kieran Gibbons has a career to have as well.

"And he will probably play in Scotland for the next seven, eight, nine, ten years. He is trying his best, he is trying to have a career, but Iwas trying to make out that the media, the social media, you have to be careful, there's two people involved.

"Kieran Gibbons didn't mean it, he just tried to win the ball, and he has suddenly been dragged over the coals. He is a young Scottishplayer, he might play for Scotland one day, you never know. But I don't feel he deserves that sort of accusations thrown at him that he'strying to break someone's leg, it's one of those things that happens."

He added: "The press have been constantly on at me today wanting to get his phone number. He's a 20-year-old guy who's played12 first team appearance for Livingston football club. I think it's pretty poor, six seconds into probably the biggest game of his life,playing at Ibrox, he makes an ill-timed challenge and he is getting hung out to dry, let's say."

The RST said: "The idea that Scottish players should be able to get away with serious foul play if their target is of another nationality isquite incredible.

"Burchill's comments are unwelcome and worthy of attention from the SFA if they are serious about tackling such issues in football. "

Fans objected to the comments on social media.

Earlier Burchill said: "If I'm honest, most of this has come from frustration from Rangers fans. They expected to turn up and beatLivingston four, five, six nil."

Winger Oduwa had already been at the centre of a storm earlier this season when Alloa player Colin Hamilton accused him of "takingthe p***" after a rainbow flick in Rangers 5-1 win in August.

Share article

Rangers fans have previously hit out at Russell, who has yet to score this season, after he posted a series oftweets that criticised Oduwa."

Unless Kieran Gibbons is a bed wetter then I'm sure he'll live with a few morons from Rangers calling him an arsehole. Burchill's trying to make out as if his career is in jeopardy and if anything has made more out of the incident with that absolute waffle of a defence he's thrown up.

Edited by The Moonster

The Rangers fans are delicate little flowers these days, aren't they?

''No one likes us, we don't care'

They seem to be permanently angry and offended.

I think football fans regardless of which team they support should consider Burchill's comments to be offensive.

Other than the poor choice of words I can see where Burchill is coming from. About 10 games into his professional career and he's being hounded for a mis-timed tackle. In the same game he was later fouled but the free kick went the wrong way, and the Rangers players proceeded to push and drag him along the ground and only 1 card shown, a yellow one. But Gibbons is the thug though, eh?

The Rangers fans calling him and Gibbons a racist though, deary me :lol:

Other than the poor choice of words I can see where Burchill is coming from. About 10 games into his professional career and he's being hounded for a mis-timed tackle. In the same game he was later fouled but the free kick went the wrong way, and the Rangers players proceeded to push and drag him along the ground and only 1 card shown, a yellow one. But Gibbons is the thug though, eh?

The Rangers fans calling him and Gibbons a racist though, deary me :lol:

Do you not think much less would be made of the situation (i.e. it would be forgotten about in a couple of weeks time) had Burchill not come out with that pish about Gibbons being "one of our own"? As I've said, I'm sure Gibbons isn't crying into his pillow case every night about the incident/aftermath and if he's anything like most footballers then I'm sure he'll be quite enjoying his villain status.

Do you not think much less would be made of the situation (i.e. it would be forgotten about in a couple of weeks time) had Burchill not come out with that pish about Gibbons being "one of our own"? As I've said, I'm sure Gibbons isn't crying into his pillow case every night about the incident/aftermath and if he's anything like most footballers then I'm sure he'll be quite enjoying his villain status.

Yep, Burchill's choice of words have made it a lot worse. But I think he was just meaning that Gibbons is still a young player who could potentially be in the Scotland set up if he plays his cards right, so hounding him/writing him off after 12 professional games for one bad tackle is a bit unfair.

Anyway, seen that LiviTV are "taking a break", not sure if that means that they're packing the highlights in altogether or just for a short time. Shame really, good to have highlights for games you can't get to without having to pay a subscription fee or anything. Been good for the past 7 or so years so hopefully someone else can take over and keep them going.

Yep, Burchill's choice of words have made it a lot worse. But I think he was just meaning that Gibbons is still a young player who could potentially be in the Scotland set up if he plays his cards right, so hounding him/writing him off after 12 professional games for one bad tackle is a bit unfair.

Anyway, seen that LiviTV are "taking a break", not sure if that means that they're packing the highlights in altogether or just for a short time. Shame really, good to have highlights for games you can't get to without having to pay a subscription fee or anything. Been good for the past 7 or so years so hopefully someone else can take over and keep them going.

All he had to say was that he felt the tackle was mis-timed and say some bullshit about Gibbons being sorry he caught Oduwa and everything would be fine. Instead he's added fuel to the fire by bringing a Scottish/English thing into. The fact that someone might go on to play for their country should not exempt them from criticism and Burchill should know all about how the media like to over do things when it comes to the Old Firm. He's had an absolute shocker.

All he had to say was that he felt the tackle was mis-timed and say some bullshit about Gibbons being sorry he caught Oduwa and everything would be fine. Instead he's added fuel to the fire by bringing a Scottish/English thing into. The fact that someone might go on to play for their country should not exempt them from criticism and Burchill should know all about how the media like to over do things when it comes to the Old Firm. He's had an absolute shocker.

Not disagreeing with you, he's had a bit of a nightmare with what he's said and how he's worded it and doesn't help his case at all.