Livingston - all the threads merged

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Holt needs to man up and drop Bartley IMO. It’s like playing with a man down atm. Would rather see J.Holt drop deeper and play Crawford

Sorry but dropping Bartley for Crawford sounds like the recipe for disaster in my opinion. Crawford does okay as an attacking midfielder but defensively he's wanting.

With both the defensive options of Jacobs and Lawson missing from the team at the moment (and Ambrose not exactly covering himself with gl;ory either at the moment) I'd be tempted to suggest Serano in the defensive midfield (enforcer) type role. He's listed as Left back; LWB or defensive midfield and certainly looked up for it on Sunday (provided he can stay on the pitch long enough).

Just now, Durnford said:

McCrorie did okay but his poor communication with the defence seemed to cause us problems again. We saw it in the first half against Motherwell but he seemed to step our and start yelling at the defence during the second half to ensure they were where he wanted them to be. For some reason yesterday he seemed to revert to his previous form. We all know confidence is a huge element on how a striker performs but I wonder if that's the same for a youthful goalkeeper (after all he is younger than most other goalkeepers we have - with the exception of DJ I suppose).

With regard to Devlin he did seem to be significantly impacted by his yellow card; probably aware that one more misdemeanour would lead to him leaving early. For the kind of player Devlin is I don't think we can afford to have anything less than a 100% committed performance.

With regard to their second goal; I actually think it was actually quite a good movement by Aberdeen, it wasn't like the ridiculous ones we gave away to Hibs. That being said I also think that it relied heavily on the growing confidence of the Aberdeen forwards; if they hadn't scored their first goal I'm not even sure they would have tried that manoeuvre. 

Difficult for me to judge communication as I have watched on mute for most of the games so far due to the sync issues. Don't think it's a crazy point to make though. I base my optimism on his ability to make good saves (shown a few times) and the reputation from the Championship fans. Decision for the management team to make if they share your view. 

Agree with your second point. I think if they hadn't have scored so early, he'd have been subbed off. It was already too late after that. I am increasingly concerned about his ability to close down crosses from the wing. 

As an aside on full backs, I hope Serrano proves me wrong but I wasn't particularly impressed on first viewing. He looked slow and awkward then almost got himself sent off with a stupid challenge (should have been booked for the challenge). ATS should be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

22 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Difficult for me to judge communication as I have watched on mute for most of the games so far due to the sync issues. Don't think it's a crazy point to make though. I base my optimism on his ability to make good saves (shown a few times) and the reputation from the Championship fans. Decision for the management team to make if they share your view. 

Agree with your second point. I think if they hadn't have scored so early, he'd have been subbed off. It was already too late after that. I am increasingly concerned about his ability to close down crosses from the wing. 

As an aside on full backs, I hope Serrano proves me wrong but I wasn't particularly impressed on first viewing. He looked slow and awkward then almost got himself sent off with a stupid challenge (should have been booked for the challenge). ATS should be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Yeh tend to agree on the above comments regarding our rear guaurd. But its still plain to see where our problems lie.Weve got to get our strikers hit the ground running.Yes its still early and time to rectify this.But we cant afford to miss chances when they come to us.Like many others im feeling uneasy at the moment but hopefully the next couple of games will settle any nerves we have about what is undoubtably gonna be a tough season for us.

Holt did say Seranno was aggressive, just needs to temper that aggression, maybe was a bit too keen to get stuck in and impress, and will calm down a bit. I actually thought he looed promising. Also looks like the Dons player saw it coming and jumped up into the air, difficult to see from the camera angle if he caught him with it

38 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Sorry but dropping Bartley for Crawford sounds like the recipe for disaster in my opinion. Crawford does okay as an attacking midfielder but defensively he's wanting.

With both the defensive options of Jacobs and Lawson missing from the team at the moment (and Ambrose not exactly covering himself with gl;ory either at the moment) I'd be tempted to suggest Serano in the defensive midfield (enforcer) type role. He's listed as Left back; LWB or defensive midfield and certainly looked up for it on Sunday (provided he can stay on the pitch long enough).

But that's not what I'm suggesting.  I'm saying just to drop Holt deeper and let Crawford push up the pitch a bit

Holt did say Seranno was aggressive, just needs to temper that aggression, maybe was a bit too keen to get stuck in and impress, and will calm down a bit. I actually thought he looed promising. Also looks like the Dons player saw it coming and jumped up into the air, difficult to see from the camera angle if he caught him with it
Looked like he took the ball before the man too...could go down the route of it being excessive but 20 years ago it was a perfect tackle

Interesting looking at all the players our fans have suggested be dropped, McCrorie, Fitzwater, Devlin, Ambrose, Bartley, Pittman, the way it's going by the time we're into January most of our first choice players will be on that list.

13 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
21 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Looked like he took the ball before the man too...could go down the route of it being excessive but 20 years ago it was a perfect tackle

Suppose we're limited with the ppv cameras filming the football games, getting to see close ups and different angles, would've liked to have seen Sibbs tackle for their pen closer and from different angles, and also our penalty claim. From the way our players reacted it must've been a hand ball, would've liked to have seen if he actually directed/knocked the ball back to their keeper with his hand/arm too.

Their tackle on Forrest inside the box looked spot on though, got close to a tackle from behind, which even when getting the ball is still deemed a foul, looked as if was in from the side though.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

While we're on the subject of dropping players, I find the FB chat abut dropping Pitts quite amusing, we're worrying about where our goals are coming from, yet wanting Pittman dropped. In his last 3 games he's combined with Sibbs to set up Forrest's goal against Motherwell, played well and got a mention from Holt in the Sevco game, and scored against Aberdeen yesterday. Best comments were, 'apart from helping set up the goal', 'apart from scoring' what did he do, reminds me of the monty Python's Life of Brian sketch, where the Peoples Front of Judea asked what the Romans ever did for them.

🤣

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

24 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Interesting looking at all the players our fans have suggested be dropped, McCrorie, Fitzwater, Devlin, Ambrose, Bartley, Pittman, the way it's going by the time we're into January most of our first choice players will be on that list.

Suppose we're limited with the ppv cameras filming the football games, getting to see close ups and different angles, would've liked to have seen Sibbs tackle for their pen closer and from different angles, and also our penalty claim. From the way our players reacted it must've been a hand ball, would've liked to have seen if he actually directed/knocked the ball back to their keeper with his hand/arm too.

Their tackle on Forrest inside the box looked spot on though, got close to a tackle from behind, which even when getting the ball is still deemed a foul, looked as if was in from the side though.

I thought Forrest took a tug before the tackle in the box. I thought the Aberdeen defender was lucky not to receive his marching orders and conceding a free kick outside the box.

The tackle was from behind and he did play the man first. We really were on the wrong end of a few decisions from the ref. The Aberdeen players certainly threw themselves to the ground every time one of our players got close.

32 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

While we're on the subject of dropping players, I find the FB chat abut dropping Pitts quite amusing, we're worrying about where our goals are coming from, yet wanting Pittman dropped. In his last 3 games he's combined with Sibbs to set up Forrest's goal against Motherwell, played well and got a mention from Holt in the Sevco game, and scored against Aberdeen yesterday. Best comments were, 'apart from helping set up the goal', 'apart from scoring' what did he do, reminds me of the monty Python's Life of Brian sketch, where the Peoples Front of Judea asked what the Romans ever did for them.

🤣

I thought that was the Popular Front?

1 minute ago, East Calder Lion said:

Can't believe McCrorie has been called up, he's not even our best keeper, never mind one of three top Scottish keepers.  Congratulations to Lyndon though.

Generally over the last 5/7/8 years the 3rd GK in the squad has always seemed something the managers have struggled with.

The likes of Jack Hamilton & Scott Fox in my opinion are examples of much poorer GK's getting a call up than McCrorie!

49 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

Can't believe McCrorie has been called up, he's not even our best keeper, never mind one of three top Scottish keepers.  Congratulations to Lyndon though.

It makes more sense to me to put McCrorie on the bench, who is probably the nations best hope for a future Scotland No. 1 at this point, than some jabroni like Craig McGillivray who got benched by Portsmouth and hasn't played since January.

49 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

Out of interest, what makes Stryjek our best keeper? The one good save he made? Surely cancelled out by the excellent saves McCrorie has made?

Or is it a case of Livi fans picking a name out of a hat and deciding he's the boo boy for the season?

Out of interest, what makes Stryjek our best keeper? The one good save he made? Surely cancelled out by the excellent saves McCrorie has made?

Or is it a case of Livi fans picking a name out of a hat and deciding he's the boo boy for the season?
I haven't been hugely impressed with McCrorie...however he looked very good against Aberdeen. He maybe needs some confidence and I'm sure he'll come good...also needs to command his box a bit better but he's young so could still improve. No doubt by the end of the season he'll prove himself and most of us will be eating our words.

41 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

They fail to mention the goals that Stryjek should have done better with in the friendlies. 

No idea what McCrorie has done to deserve such ire aside from the obvious mistake in an away game against Hamilton WHICH WE WON. Has won us a lot more points than he has lost us (St. Johnstone at Home, Hibs away).

Stryjek did well against Rangers with the very little he had to deal with. He will be close to getting another opportunity if McCrorie plays poorly. Against Aberdeen McCrorie did well and kept us in the game. The guy still deserves to start.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Thought McCrorie was poor with his decision making against Motherwell, and Stryjek looked a lot better against Sevco, just looked calmer and more assured, as well as making a spectacular save. Just takes one mistake though and he'll be ripped apart like McCrorie has been.

McCrorie looked better against Aberdeen though and positioned himself well for two blocks that kept us in the game. Neither has played enough games to decide one way or another whether they're good keepers or duds though,  and there is plenty time for McCrorie to develop into a really good keeper.

Ideally we want Stryjek to prove himself this season and be our number one keeper for next season, because we've signed him as a Livi keeper on a three year deal.