Quick Question Thread

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was interested in getting one but my phone counts my steps on the health app. I do over 10k steps a day at work easily, one day I did 22k. A good % of those steps are done without aim or purposes and quite often in the wrong direction but if it keeps a few pounds off me then I’m happy!

Yeah, the counting steps thing is a bit of a farce.  Excessive wrist movements (*insert obviouos joke here*) rack up 'steps' when in fact you've been sitting on your arse doing very little.

If you want to get fit, best off getting a fitness app that uses satellite tracking as a motivator.

18 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was interested in getting one but my phone counts my steps on the health app. I do over 10k steps a day at work easily, one day I did 22k. A good % of those steps are done without aim or purposes and quite often in the wrong direction but if it keeps a few pounds off me then I’m happy!

Gets sent for the left handed screwdriver, long stand type post.

Or don’t use any technology and just stop being a fat b*****d!
Tbh, like loads and loads of folk, motivation is a key issue for me. Got hit with a ton of stressful shit in the last few months and although I am basically at the back of it now, I noticably lost my drive for physical activity during that time. Its actually the first time in my lifetime where I have been able to identify a stressor and its direct effects, and be powerless to stop it. I love competition so if it helps me even compete against myself that is a bonus.

59 minutes ago, throbber said:

Staggering home from the pub.

44 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
49 minutes ago, throbber said:

Or don’t use any technology and just stop being a fat b*****d!

Tbh, like loads and loads of folk, motivation is a key issue for me. Got hit with a ton of stressful shit in the last few months and although I am basically at the back of it now, I noticably lost my drive for physical activity during that time. Its actually the first time in my lifetime where I have been able to identify a stressor and its direct effects, and be powerless to stop it. I love competition so if it helps me even compete against myself that is a bonus.

Should sign up for something, like a Falkirk v Pars boxing match.

I actually really fancy doing a white collar boxing match. Purely for the fact that any sparring I have ever done has been with mates and not full on. Just once id like to go full pelt agaisnt someone. The nearest to me is Alloa tho which although not far is still a pain in the hole. And I desperatley need to get back into it myself first or I would be an embarrassment for weeks

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I actually really fancy doing a white collar boxing match. Purely for the fact that any sparring I have ever done has been with mates and not full on. Just once id like to go full pelt agaisnt someone. The nearest to me is Alloa tho which although not far is still a pain in the hole. And I desperatley need to get back into it myself first or I would be an embarrassment for weeks

It’s good for confidence as well as fitness. Sounds like you need to do something that’s for your own benefit for a while after throwing yourself into trying to sort stuff out for everyone else at work. Plus, I know you like your boxing and it gives you a good insight into what is going through the head of the pros when they’re in the ring. 

And of course it could help to make those train station videos less embarrassing if Falkirk had someone tasty to call on. 

My mate did this two years ago and had his fight at Alloa town hall. Was a bit of a shitter in the end as the guy he was due to fight pulled out with just over a week to go. They managed to get an opponent at short notice but was a guy who had had a few bouts and done a bit, so beat my mate quite comfortably with the ref stopping the fight. He’s never kept the training up or went back to it though, think the doing put him right off it.

Up in Glasgow for the weekend, taking in Clyde game at QP. Will spend most of the time in the pub but my mate has never been in Glasgow area before and wants to do something "Scottish". 

Fancied a day out at Loch Lomond, have no transport of our own so relying on trains. The minimum research tells me that Balloch is doable from Glasgow easily enough on the train. 

Questions: is that the best way to see Loch Lomond via train from Glasgow? Are there lots of pubs in Balloch, preferably with a good view of said Loch? If we fancy getting a little Loch cruise, do we need to book in advance or will we be alright just turning up on the day? Would rather wait and see what the weather is like/how hungover we are. 

Thanks in advance. 

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Up in Glasgow for the weekend, taking in Clyde game at QP. Will spend most of the time in the pub but my mate has never been in Glasgow area before and wants to do something "Scottish". 

Fancied a day out at Loch Lomond, have no transport of our own so relying on trains. The minimum research tells me that Balloch is doable from Glasgow easily enough on the train. 

Questions: is that the best way to see Loch Lomond via train from Glasgow? Are there lots of pubs in Balloch, preferably with a good view of said Loch? If we fancy getting a little Loch cruise, do we need to book in advance or will we be alright just turning up on the day? Would rather wait and see what the weather is like/how hungover we are. 

Thanks in advance. 

It's dead easy by train, to get to Balloch anyway.

If you want a pub with a view of the loch, get a taxi from Balloch Station up to Duck Bay, 5 minutes up the road.  Plenty other good pubs in Balloch, none have a direct view of the loch though.

You won't have to book onto a cruise in advance, it's freaking October.

Best chippy for soaking up the alcohol is the one right at the station, it's a wee belter.

Thanks in advance. 
No need to book as BR says. I was on one on the May bank holiday Monday and it was quiet. I'd definitely recommend it.

Balloch House hotel has nice outdoor bit right on riverbank. Used to take the kids there in the summer when they were young. IMO Duck Bay is nice for a relatively upmarket meal but isn't really the kind of place you'd stay for a good session. 

Edited by jimmy boo

On 01/10/2018 at 23:07, The new Kia Ceed said:

Have you ever met a genuinely smart bus driver ?  

Bertrand Russell and Ludwig Wittgenstein both drove buses during the Blitz. It's said that passengers thought the Luftwaffe was less dangerous.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How do the stats people calculate how many miles a player covers in a game? Are the players chipped? Noticed that Bet365 have started naming the player on the ball as well in live play.

See the things that players wear that looks like sports bras, thats got all the monitoring kit in it. Presumably the clubs release certian info from it to the stats people.