Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, just me 2 said:

Anybody know what the wee bullet things that attach to a van side door and slide into a hole thing behind the cab.

I am missing one and don't known what it is called to buy another one?

20240115_151023.jpg

I could tell you but I would expect a retainer.

13 hours ago, just me 2 said:

Anybody know what the wee bullet things that attach to a van side door and slide into a hole thing behind the cab.

I am missing one and don't known what it is called to buy another one?

20240115_151023.jpg

It's there - doesn't seem to be missing after all.

H.T.H.

On 09/01/2024 at 21:04, Hedgecutter said:

If you shag somebody a few hours after their spouse died when they weren't aware of the accident, does it still class as cheating?

Asking for a friend.

Right are we just making a joke about this then letting it pass?

Get the beans spilled.

10 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Pouring salt on roads is that a UK thing or is it done everywhere?

It's also done in Canada, Parts of Europe, Japan, China and South America so we're not alone.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

I am a skier, and they dont do it in the high resorts in the Alps (because salt loses its effectiveness around minus 10c).

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

I can confirm that it’s not done in Brunei.   It’s largely ineffective at deterring basking monitor lizards and doesn’t prevent flooding.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It's also done in Canada, Parts of Europe, Japan, China and South America so we're not alone.

I thought Japan didn't use salts on road hence why imported cars needed rust treated before they rot to nothing.

30 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I thought Japan didn't use salts on road hence why imported cars needed rust treated before they rot to nothing.

In the northern parts of Japan they actually use hot water!  But, in some other areas they do salt but not everywhere apparently. Maybe they apply rust proofing only in the areas where they salt the roads.  

On 16/01/2024 at 09:54, Melanius Mullarkant said:

Right are we just making a joke about this then letting it pass?

Get the beans spilled.

If Hedgecutter's totally theoretical widow's late spouse was alright with her putting it about with internet geoguessers, then it's absolutely fine. If not, she's going to the bad fire, so hopefully he was a generous lover to have made it worthwhile.

He's in the clear either way unless he killed the spouse, in which case hopefully she was a generous lover, as he won't be feeling the gentle touch of a woman for some time.

Got an Iceland delivery whilst I was at 5s tonight and come home to the revelation that we're missing what seems to be a whole bag of stuff, what are the chances I get shrugged off by the shop tomorrow when I phone?

Could also have went in the PTTGOYN thread.

Is shit a swear word?

I get that it's not particularly complimentary but in the scale of vulgarity I don't think it deserves to be classed as such.

Needless to say, Mrs O'Hare vehemently disagrees.

Perhaps years of playing and watching football has skewed my thinking.

On 18/01/2024 at 21:50, Empty It said:

Got an Iceland delivery whilst I was at 5s tonight and come home to the revelation that we're missing what seems to be a whole bag of stuff, what are the chances I get shrugged off by the shop tomorrow when I phone?

Could also have went in the PTTGOYN thread.

How did it go?

I've been there with Tesco before, and they just immediately refunded the items I told them were missing. I'm guessing they likely have some kind of three strikes rule, with frequent flyers probably refused service after a certain number of complaints within a timespan.

28 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Is shit a swear word?

I get that it's not particularly complimentary but in the scale of vulgarity I don't think it deserves to be classed as such.

Needless to say, Mrs O'Hare vehemently disagrees.

Perhaps years of playing and watching football has skewed my thinking.

It's been downgraded in seriousness since I was a kid, when it was less offensive than the more nuclear naughty words, but still unacceptable on TV before the kids were in bed. I remember a survey about thirty years ago where something like 90%-98% of people found c**t, motherfucker, and f**k offensive, with shit ranking somewhere in the seventies. I'd guess it'd be significantly lower now, and I know it's used on the telly before 9pm (although probably not on Paw Patrol or The One Show).

Words like piss and w**k are odd, where they're entirely acceptable slang in America, but are mild swear words here - I get the impression that they don't really know what w**k means, and just think it's a cute Britishism like twat (which they've also decided is pronounced "twot" for some reason). I genuinely think most of them would be appalled to realise what twat means, considering c**t is far more unacceptable there (and we're hardly cunting up a storm in front of our mothers anyway).

Anyone else remember the weird excitement in the press when the word "crap" was downgraded for use by the folk running TV? The papers were running stories about how EastEnders was going to use "crap" for the first time, and you got the impression it was going to be like a toddler discovering swearing for the first time ("get out of my pub, you bum jobby crapface slaaaag"). I believe somebody just said, "that's crap!" in the Queen Vic, after which it was never used again.

No word on whether s*mprini is acceptable on the BBC yet, sadly. Also, someone post a clip of Carlin's Seven Words bit, as the quality of the ones on YouTube are all, well, shit.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

How did it go?

I've been there with Tesco before, and they just immediately refunded the items I told them were missing. I'm guessing they likely have some kind of three strikes rule, with frequent flyers probably refused service after a certain number of complaints within a timespan.

It's been downgraded in seriousness since I was a kid, when it was less offensive than the more nuclear naughty words, but still unacceptable on TV before the kids were in bed. I remember a survey about thirty years ago where something like 90%-98% of people found c**t, motherfucker, and f**k offensive, with shit ranking somewhere in the seventies. I'd guess it'd be significantly lower now, and I know it's used on the telly before 9pm (although probably not on Paw Patrol or The One Show).

Words like piss and w**k are odd, where they're entirely acceptable slang in America, but are mild swear words here - I get the impression that they don't really know what w**k means, and just think it's a cute Britishism like twat (which they've also decided is pronounced "twot" for some reason). I genuinely think most of them would be appalled to realise what twat means, considering c**t is far more unacceptable there (and we're hardly cunting up a storm in front of our mothers anyway).

Anyone else remember the weird excitement in the press when the word "crap" was downgraded for use by the folk running TV? The papers were running stories about how EastEnders was going to use "crap" for the first time, and you got the impression it was going to be like a toddler discovering swearing for the first time ("get out of my pub, you bum jobby crapface slaaaag"). I believe somebody just said, "that's crap!" in the Queen Vic, after which it was never used again.

No word on whether s*mprini is acceptable on the BBC yet, sadly. Also, someone post a clip of Carlin's Seven Words bit, as the quality of the ones on YouTube are all, well, shit.

It’s all a load of pish and shite or should that be shite and pish. 

Edited by Eednud

6 minutes ago, Eednud said:

It’s all a load of pish and shite or should that be shite and pish. 

Much like feck, I get the impression that shite and pish are considered slightly less harsh than shit and piss.

Possibly because these decisions on taste are generally made in the Home Counties, where feck, shite, and pish are funny words used by those silly Celts.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

How did it go?

They're delivering the items this morning, surprisingly they were very helpful, was fully expecting to have to fight for it.