Quick Question Thread

Just had newly laid turf down, and trying to figure out a "routine" to keep the grass growing as moss/weeds took over the garden before. About a quarter struggles to get sun and just goes mossy/weedy and then takes over the garden, so ideally trying to avoid that.

Seen comments you're meant be put grass seed on those areas during the winter to try and prevent that?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just had newly laid turf down, and trying to figure out a "routine" to keep the grass growing as moss/weeds took over the garden before. About a quarter struggles to get sun and just goes mossy/weedy and then takes over the garden, so ideally trying to avoid that.

Seen comments you're meant be put grass seed on those areas during the winter to try and prevent that?

Slabs.

On 11/05/2024 at 09:04, RandomGuy. said:

Cut it often and not too low ,if you take off more than a third of the leaf at any time your killing the plant

On 11/05/2024 at 09:04, RandomGuy. said:

See post above...

have a search online for what your yearly lawn work should entail...

cut often (as above), that encourages your grass to thicken up as grass grows upwards and if it can't, it spreads sideways.

I'd give it a high nitrogen feed in early July (make sure you don't feed it in dry conditions), keep cutting until it stops growing (it can grow slightly over the winter depending how mild it is), in mid Oct, give it it a autumn winter feed if possible. You can go nuts by lightly scarifying it but make sure you apply the feed a week or two before, preferably two weeks before.

If needed over the winter, you can top the grass but raise your blades to basically just nip the tips.

Around march (dependant on wx) keep an eye on growth, top if necessary..

This is the time to overseed (must be a you tube video to show you how)..

Mid April onwards give the grass a spring feed, moss and weedkiller if needed..

Scarify lightly about two weeks after application and rinse and repeat.

Keep an eye for fungal disease July onwards, google what to expect..

Keep watered during period of drought although never soak too much.

Be careful with your height of cut, never scalp it...

Hopefully I've missed nothing out..

23 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

What happened to the thread asking about the worst thing a car you've been in has hit?

The OP joined P&B and started that thread and another called "When did you last go to the cinema".

He was accused of data mining and thus he deleted both threads and disappeared.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

The OP joined P&B and started that thread and another called "When did you last go to the cinema".

He was accused of data mining and thus he deleted both threads and disappeared.

He had another one asking how people's voting for political parties had changed over time too.

Seemed very much like someone who'd signed up for some data harvesting program and didn't realise everyone else was using bots.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He had another one asking how people's voting for political parties had changed over time too.

Seemed very much like someone who'd signed up for some data harvesting program and didn't realise everyone else was using bots.

He should have set up a decoy thread such as "Does your manger playing the right formation for every game?" and that would have made it less obvious.

Then again how people answer that question might provide a big clue on voting intentions or spending habits.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

He should have set up a decoy thread such as "Does your manger playing the right formation for every game?" and that would have made it less obvious.

Then again how people answer that question might provide a big clue on voting intentions or spending habits.

Must confess that am a bit suspicious of threads like the 'tea or coffee' one by a relative newcomer.  I like cheese and tomato sandwiches, but apart from posting that here as an example, I can't for the life of me think why stuff like that would be of any interest to other folk on a Forum.

26 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Must confess that am a bit suspicious of threads like the 'tea or coffee' one by a relative newcomer.  I like cheese and tomato sandwiches, but apart from posting that here as an example, I can't for the life of me think why stuff like that would be of any interest to other folk on a Forum.

I think the trick is that you make a bunch of innocuous posts, then go back and edit them all with links for your diet pills/male enhancement cream/voodoo spells. I think some forums require a certain number of posts before you can add links, so that might explain that behaviour. Every now and then I'll end up on a long-dead thread and notice that one of the last posts has dodgy links and an edit.

Naturally, I always report them, as I am a massive grass.

On 10/05/2024 at 02:54, BFTD said:

Is baby oil flammable? AfaM.

On 10/05/2024 at 16:12, TxRover said:

Let's hope that Mrs. 'Fagash' Mullarkay isn't sparking up tabs whilst simultaneously practising the five-knuckle-shuffle on The Mushroom Supper Kid with the aid of some Johnson's.