Quick Question Thread

Something my pal asked me earlier.

If you go into a Wetherspoons pub and the barman/lady staff ask you if you want your usual, is that a sign that you are perhaps drinking too much?

no but they are breaking the licensing law ;)

Here is one for yous.

i never understood the science behind not re-freezing things once they have defrosted.

i know it gives you the shits but if its kept in the fridge bacteria cant grow THAT

much.

I know not to do this but my girlfriend who is always complaining of having the shits asked me to get her the ice cream from the freezer and when i looked in the tub it was half empty but the half was perfectly level as if it had melted and been frozen again. she said she always does this.

So the question is "Why cant you re-freeze stuff that was frozen before?"

Where's best to go in Stirling for a shirt, tie and trousers? I'm looking for something pretty smart, but cheap at the same time. I realise I could just go and look around some shops, but I'm too lazy for any of that carry on.

How do you calculate the percentage of body fat in your body?

There are several ways.

A Bioelectrical Impedence Test is when a small, non-harmful current is passed through the body - usually by a person holding onto an electrode in each hand or standing on special scales. A current is passed through the body and muscle and fat have different resistance rates to this current, so it can measure your body fat. It's not very accurate though.

Caliper Tests are when various measurements of your body are taken, including (as the name suggests) using calipers to measure skin folds. They're not very accurate either in terms of giving you a percentage, but are useful in that a person can see that their skin folds less after a few months of exercise.

There are loads of other ways but most are very scientific, medical and therefore expensive, such as absorption of x-rays, displacement in water and suchlike. There isn't really an accurate way to measure it for the layman unfortunately.

Here is one for yous.

i never understood the science behind not re-freezing things once they have defrosted.

i know it gives you the shits but if its kept in the fridge bacteria cant grow THAT

much.

I know not to do this but my girlfriend who is always complaining of having the shits asked me to get her the ice cream from the freezer and when i looked in the tub it was half empty but the half was perfectly level as if it had melted and been frozen again. she said she always does this.

So the question is "Why cant you re-freeze stuff that was frozen before?"

I think a lot of it has to do with cell damage during the freezing process. It burst cell membranes, which is why when you defrost something like meat, it usually has a lot more fluid pooled around it. Re-freezing the meat causes larger pockets of fluid to freeze, amplifying the magnitude of ruptured cells, thus damaging the meat more.

In something like fruit, where the fluid percentage is much higher, the collapse of the more fragile cell membranes causes catastrophic damage to the structure of the food, which is why unfreezing certain fruits causes them to turn to mush.

In the case of something like meat, you also have to consider the oxidisation of the fat in it, which causes it to turn rancid, refreezing and rethawing that will bring the levels of rancid fat up to unnaceptable levels.

Of course, the worst reason is simply that bacteria does grow that fast, and that bringing something up to room temperature causes the dormant micro organsism to multiply again.

I might be wrong, I'm not a biologist.

Edited by renton

There are several ways.

A Bioelectrical Impedence Test is when a small, non-harmful current is passed through the body - usually by a person holding onto an electrode in each hand or standing on special scales. A current is passed through the body and muscle and fat have different resistance rates to this current, so it can measure your body fat. It's not very accurate though.

Caliper Tests are when various measurements of your body are taken, including (as the name suggests) using calipers to measure skin folds. They're not very accurate either in terms of giving you a percentage, but are useful in that a person can see that their skin folds less after a few months of exercise.

There are loads of other ways but most are very scientific, medical and therefore expensive, such as absorption of x-rays, displacement in water and suchlike. There isn't really an accurate way to measure it for the layman unfortunately.

Cheers Gaz.

So bascially, there's no way of getting it done that isn't professionally or expensive?

Oh well. :(

Something my pal asked me earlier.

If you go into a Wetherspoons pub and the barman/lady staff ask you if you want your usual, is that a sign that you are perhaps drinking too much?

No, it's the sign of a Good Barman/lady. They remember you and the drink that you probably want.

Where's best to go in Stirling for a shirt, tie and trousers? I'm looking for something pretty smart, but cheap at the same time. I realise I could just go and look around some shops, but I'm too lazy for any of that carry on.

I got trousers for 20 , a black shirt for 20 from Topman and white tie out new look for 6 quid.

Burton isn't bad, and I've had a couple decent shirts from Next. Next is also in the Thistles.

My question: I have dirty trainers, and I think they would benefit from a wash. Can they go in the washing machine, and if so, what setting? Oh, and can they be tumble dried too?

Burton isn't bad, and I've had a couple decent shirts from Next. Next is also in the Thistles.

My question: I have dirty trainers, and I think they would benefit from a wash. Can they go in the washing machine, and if so, what setting? Oh, and can they be tumble dried too?

apparently the glue comes out if you wash them. so the maw says anyway. i'll sneak them in one day.

EDIT: PUN

Edited by bullywee

Proper, leather, "sports" trainers? No.

If they're just canvassy type things, then you can stick them in the washing machine, provided you wrap them in a towel first. No idea about tumble drying.

apparently the glue comes out if you wash them. so the maw says anyway. i'll sneak them in one day.

EDIT: PUN

I would never have spotted that if you hadn't pointed it out! :lol:

Proper, leather, "sports" trainers? No.

If they're just canvassy type things, then you can stick them in the washing machine, provided you wrap them in a towel first. No idea about tumble drying.

Ulp. Umm. Well I decided to do it anyway, and so I have a pair of rather expensive New Balance trainers bumping their way round my washing machine, in a pillow case. Also a pair of hi tecs. I hope I don't regret this. :unsure: