Quick Question Thread

... Two Fat Ladies...

Is there a mental condition where someone takes pleasure in telling you their and their family's illnesses?

I have a guy at work who constantly tells me how ill him and his family have been and now he's just texted me to tell me his kid's got chicken pox. Erm, I don't give a flying f**k mate.

I reckon it's similar to Munchausens except I reckon, I hope, the stories are true.

He's probably one of these idiots who thought the MMR jag causes autism.

Has anyone claimed back Emergency Tax before? I was paying that in my last job (was only a six weeks temp contract) and was wondering if I could claim some/all of it back. Problem is I wasn't given a P45 after I left and I was wondering if I could just use the tax code on the pay slips for this?

I also don't really know where to phone - I've tried the local tax office but I can never get through. If I was to go up there which documents would I need? Or am I wasting my time altogether?

Has anyone claimed back Emergency Tax before? I was paying that in my last job (was only a six weeks temp contract) and was wondering if I could claim some/all of it back. Problem is I wasn't given a P45 after I left and I was wondering if I could just use the tax code on the pay slips for this?

I also don't really know where to phone - I've tried the local tax office but I can never get through. If I was to go up there which documents would I need? Or am I wasting my time altogether?

I am in the same situation. Last summer I was starting my first job after finishing college but didn't start for 6 weeks after I found out I got the job and couldn't be arsed sitting about in the house waiting so got a job at amazon (such a horrible place). Was emergency taxed for the 4 weeks I was there and reckon I should be due at least some of it back. Have no idea about how to go about it although a friend who recently claimed tax back said he just emailed his local tax office and they were really helpful.

I am in the same situation. Last summer I was starting my first job after finishing college but didn't start for 6 weeks after I found out I got the job and couldn't be arsed sitting about in the house waiting so got a job at amazon (such a horrible place). Was emergency taxed for the 4 weeks I was there and reckon I should be due at least some of it back. Have no idea about how to go about it although a friend who recently claimed tax back said he just emailed his local tax office and they were really helpful.

Did you give amazon your P45 when/before you started?

Did you give amazon your P45 when/before you started?

I filled out a p46 but they were really disorganised and I don't think they ever sent it away. 10 of us started on the same day and one I have kept in contact with said it was November (I started end of July/start of August) before they sorted it out.

I've kept all my payslips and I am sure they sent me a p45 (I'll go double check) just after Christmas which shows how much tax I have paid.

I filled out a p46 but they were really disorganised and I don't think they ever sent it away. 10 of us started on the same day and one I have kept in contact with said it was November (I started end of July/start of August) before they sorted it out.

I've kept all my payslips and I am sure they sent me a p45 (I'll go double check) just after Christmas which shows how much tax I have paid.

I'm 99% sure I wasn't given one after I left (rifled through the drawers and there's no way I'd throw something like that out). I have previous ones but as I was given a relatively new tax code, I was thinking I could be alright with that.

You usually get emergency tax added onto your next wage. That's what's happened to me.

This is going to seem an utterly ridiculous question but Google hasn't been too helpful.

Sometime earlier this season I brought my mini Swiss Army knife to an away game* for the sole use of using the bottle opener to open bottles on the train. No bother at all because I didn't go waving about the blade like some nutter. If I had been caught with it, would I have been lifted for carrying a blade? The UK government website says I wouldn't because it's a folding knife and because of blade size, however I was certain there was some legislation change in Scotland in the not too distant past (maybe a couple of years ago)?

I could buy a bottle opener but that's not much use if I ever need to remove a stone from a horse's hoof.

Danny-Dyer-actor-Top10Films2.jpg

Edited by yoda

This is going to seem an utterly ridiculous question but Google hasn't been too helpful.

Sometime earlier this season I brought my mini Swiss Army knife to an away game* for the sole use of using the bottle opener to open bottles on the train. No bother at all because I didn't go waving about the blade like some nutter. If I had been caught with it, would I have been lifted for carrying a blade? The UK government website says I wouldn't because it's a folding knife and because of blade size, however I was certain there was some legislation change in Scotland in the not too distant past (maybe a couple of years ago)?

I could buy a bottle opener but that's not much use if I ever need to remove a stone from a horse's hoof.

Pretty sure folding blades of 3" or less are ok, but I'd imagine stewards at the football would refuse entry if you were searched and they found it.

There's no point in phoning the local tax office directly - the place is fucking huge and you'll almost certainly end up on the phone to someone who has no idea what they're doing (probably me). I'll find out which department you need and PM the number at some point tonight.

There's no point in phoning the local tax office directly - the place is fucking huge and you'll almost certainly end up on the phone to someone who has no idea what they're doing (probably me). I'll find out which department you need and PM the number at some point tonight.

I completely forgot you worked there. Cheers.

Criminal Law (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 1995 49Offence of having in public place article with blade or point.

(1)Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence and liable—

(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding [F1twelve]F1 months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both; and

(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding [F2four]F2 years or a fine or both.

(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed.

(3)This section does not apply to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade does not exceed three inches (7.62 centimetres).

(4)It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) above to [F3show that the person had a reasonable excuse]F3 or lawful authority for having the article with him in the public place.

(5)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) above to [F4show]F4 that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

(b)for religious reasons; or

©as part of any national costume.

(6)Where a person is convicted of an offence under subsection (1) above the court may make an order for the forfeiture of any article to which the offence relates, and any article forfeited under this subsection shall (subject to section 193 of theM1Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995 (suspension of forfeiture etc, pending appeal)) be disposed of as the court may direct.

[F5(7)In this section, “public place” has the same meaning as in section 47(4).F5]

A quite common "reasonable excuse" used by neds is the fishing excuse- I had the knife for fishing. My old man used to keep a rusty old knife in the car for gutting mackerel that he caught - I dare saw if the cops ever searched his car (which was usually a tip on wheels) he could have proved he went fishing. Another excuse is that the ned works in a warehouse and uses the knife for cutting plasting binding. I wish I was actually a qualified lawyer because I could charge you b*****ds for this advice and assistance!!