Quick Question Thread

Depends exactly how accurately you want to weigh the two products and what the weight of the packaging is.

If you remove the packaging, 500g of sugar is near enough 500ml of water for most purposes. You must remember, however, that a bag of sugar with a nominal weight of 500g will normally weigh anywhere between 485g & 515g and could potentially weigh as little as 470g.

Use a set of calibrated scales & weights!

Will your statement be valid if the experiment was carried out atop Mt Everest.

Depends exactly how accurately you want to weigh the two products and what the weight of the packaging is.

If you remove the packaging, 500g of sugar is near enough 500ml of water for most purposes. You must remember, however, that a bag of sugar with a nominal weight of 500g will normally weigh anywhere between 485g & 515g and could potentially weigh as little as 470g.

Use a set of calibrated scales & weights!

I'm not actually measuring or comparing owt, I was just curious.

Will your statement be valid if the experiment was carried out atop Mt Everest.

Yes it will be, as long as you are using a certificated weight and an equal armed balance.

The mass being measured will remain the same, so the scale will balance when the amount in each pan exerts an equal force.

What you are referring to is Specific Gravity. Water has a specific gravity of one.

It's nothing to do with specific gravity. SG is a unitless ratio (of densities) of two substances.

It's all to do with the density of water. By definition, density equals mass divided by volume. At a pressure of 1 atmosphere, water is at its most dense (and therefore heaviest) at 3.98 degrees Celsius.

My previous answer referred to "a reasonable precision" If you measure as accurately as you can, at 3.98 degrees Celsius, a litre of water will weigh 999.972 grammes.

Accordingly, 1 L = 1 kg is a good approximation, but isn't exact.

Do grams and millilitres weigh the same in terms of volume? For example, would a 500g bag of sugar weigh the same as a 500ml bottle of water? If not, why not? I think we can all agree that this must be addressed.

500g of granulated sugar would weigh about the same as 500ml of water.

500g of water would weigh more than 500ml of granulated sugar.

It's nothing to do with specific gravity. SG is a unitless ratio (of densities) of two substances.

It's all to do with the density of water. By definition, density equals mass divided by volume. At a pressure of 1 atmosphere, water is at its most dense (and therefore heaviest) at 3.98 degrees Celsius.

My previous answer referred to "a reasonable precision" If you measure as accurately as you can, at 3.98 degrees Celsius, a litre of water will weigh 999.972 grammes.

Accordingly, 1 L = 1 kg is a good approximation, but isn't exact.

How boring.