Quick Question Thread

What if your family don't like bread? They like... cigarettes?

Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime?

God's sake, it's fairly simple. Some guy bends over and pumps out the egg to the Quarter Back who does a wee dance and chucks it. Everyone else chases after it, or tries to impede people doing so. Then the cheer leaders come on. Sometimes the Quarter Back tries to hold on to the egg and runs away, but then everyone jumps on him and it gets nasty.

Why is American egg chasing called football when there's hardly any kicking involved?

At a time when most sports were played on horseback, the term "football" was originally used to describe games that were played on foot (not a game in which you kick a ball with your foot). This includes soccer, rugby and American football. "Football" as the rest of the world knows it (or "soccer" in the U.S.) was originally known as Association Football, which became "soccer" for short before being widely known as just "football." American football is more an evolution of rugby football or Aussie rules football, which emerged around the same time as Association football. The term "soccer" stuck in the U.S. while in Europe and other parts just "football" became more popular than "soccer." So when people say it's weird that the U.S. calls it "soccer," they only do so because the term was invented in Europe, and was the original term for the sport before it became just "football". In short, American football is known as such because of it's similarity to rugby football.

But why?

I was hoping someone on here might know. I don't accept the widely used 'to make sure it's not on a school night' theory. I think Deeman is spot on. Because Kilmarnock.

I was told that due to Kilmarnock being a large industrial town (not any more obviously), most people got paid weekly, on a Friday. It was moved to the last Friday in October to ensure that everyone had cash to buy stuff for the weans.

Probably bollocks.

God's sake, it's fairly simple. Some guy bends over and pumps out the egg to the Quarter Back who does a wee dance and chucks it. Everyone else chases after it, or tries to impede people doing so. Then the cheer leaders come on. Sometimes the Quarter Back tries to hold on to the egg and runs away, but then everyone jumps on him and it gets nasty.

I'm bored already.

No. It's the 30th, (although it would be cool if we technically lived in the future). But no matter the date, Kilmarnock always has and always will hold Halloween on the last Friday of the month. It's fairly normal to me now but when mentioned to a non Kilmarnock person it sounds utterly bizarre.

If Kilmarnock was in the future, it would be one of those post apocalyptic ones that Mad Max or Judge Dredd live in, from the nick of the place.

I was wondering, is Kilmarnock the only place to change the date of events to suit now forgotten reasons?

No. I'm sure the village next to where I grew up did the same thing. Can't remember the reason but we all just used to think they were weird.

Village in question was Beattock, Dumfries & Galloway for any fact fans.

As the good Lord said, you can't live on cigarettes alone. :angel

Hod the bus, yes you can. You sell them to the people who steal bread for a starter.

ETA - Just read what I posted, you can also sell them to people who steal meat for your second coarse :P

Edited by SlipperyP