Quick Question Thread

38 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Has anyone ever hired a car from Gatwick airport? Is the experience going to make me want to kill myself?

Pay attention when they show you all the dents and scratches on the car.
They get very suspicious of anyone that actually trusts them on stuff like that.

Pay attention when they show you all the dents and scratches on the car.
They get very suspicious of anyone that actually trusts them on stuff like that.

Aye, I've no bother hiring cars, I once picked up a Fiesta from Bristol that had clearly been keyed, they hadn't even marked it as having a scratch on the paperwork. They got to keep that particular motor.

I'm more worried about how you even hire a car at Gatwick. Is it one of these where you have to get a bus to the portakabins?

Hold your fire until you actually get home before being too cocky [emoji14]

Passport's the least of my problems, got back to hotel at 5, left for airport at 8. Hoping that a pint will take the edge off and stop me vomiting on the cabin crew.

Passport's the least of my problems, got back to hotel at 5, left for airport at 8. Hoping that a pint will take the edge off and stop me vomiting on the cabin crew.

Are you the pilot?

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

An ex-colleague of mine decided that rather than having a few hours of sleep, his best course of action would be to go to the airport and drink at the 24 hour-licensed bars until take off. He was let onto the flight, and then started spewing his ring into a sick-bag. The stewardess asked him if he was okay and he said he suffered badly from travel sickness.

She pointed out that they hadn't actually taken off yet.... luckily they still let him fly anyway. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

7 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

I'm more worried about how you even hire a car at Gatwick. Is it one of these where you have to get a bus to the portakabins?

I don't know all the car hire firms but certainly Europcar and other larger ones (Avis, Hertz) are located at the terminal both for collection and return (though their return location was poorly signposted as mentioned) so no need to get bused anywehere.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I don't know all the car hire firms but certainly Europcar and other larger ones (Avis, Hertz) are located at the terminal both for collection and return (though their return location was poorly signposted as mentioned) so no need to get bused anywehere.

Thanks, it'll be either Avis or Europcar I use through my work's travel agent. I'm not mentally prepared for slumming it on a bus again

Ah okay. It puts out feelers basically, in every path, and those that have less resistance will get a higher proportion of the charge until all the charge is used up. 

A* pathfinding

clickoris

Interesting video of lightning that shows the above. Coincidence i read this and saw that

14 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Thanks, it'll be either Avis or Europcar I use through my work's travel agent. I'm not mentally prepared for slumming it on a bus again

No need, buddy..Gatwick's easy wrt rental cars.  With Heathrow you can get the rentee to meet you off the flight with car in hand.  You pay a premium, though.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 hour ago, weirdcal said:

A* pathfinding

clickoris

Interesting video of lightning that shows the above. Coincidence i read this and saw that

It's basically a natural version of A*. Pretty cool when you think that was a big discovery/improvement in Computer Science but nature had already (pretty much) designed it. Think it was an algorithms class I took where the lecturer used the whole lightning path finding thing to help people understand graph theory.

It's basically a natural version of A*. Pretty cool when you think that was a big discovery/improvement in Computer Science but nature had already (pretty much) designed it. Think it was an algorithms class I took where the lecturer used the whole lightning path finding thing to help people understand graph theory.

I think alot of ideas arereplicated from nature. It's interesting to see in motion

14 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

There are direct trains from Gatwick to Southampton, probably quicker if you add the time for picking up the car.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Got a letter from NPower who I left a few months back. They apologised for not sending me a final bill and with great fanfare told me that as a goodwill gesture they are waiving any charges from my last billing perios since there was an "issue" with their billing system.

However, I have my suspicions that my account would have been in credit. Are they trting to diddle me or should I let sleeping dogs lie just in case?

Do you have the the meter reading when you left them, and the previous bill? The new supplier should have the reading when they took over I would have thought, I've never changed supplier though. You should be able to work it out without contacting NPower is what I mean.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'll need to have a rake through all my old documents etc. May have fallen victim to a clear out. The tone of the letter was such that I sensed a chiselling occuring...

You could always blag it by sending a letter thanking them for dropping the charges, but asking what they would have been as you thought you were in credit to the sum of (double what you think it might have been). If they've lost the data as seems likely, unless the amount was tiny either way, they might just send a cheque out to shut you up.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I've just been bitten by a rabbit(pet not wild) and skin is broken. Does one need a Tetanus or will a good wash and some anti septic cream suffice?

Its a worry. You're thinking 'its just a little bite, everything will be fine' but the back of your mind is saying 'what if I contract blood poisoning from this and die?'

I'd get down to A&E if I were you.