Quick Question Thread

19 hours ago, GordonD said:

It's what they used to call a woman living with a man she wasn't married to, when that was still relatively unusual. Nowadays called a partner, or I think the official term is common-law wife. Either way, I'm not sure if the law has changed to give such a person the same rights as one who went through a ceremony.

A mate of mine has a bidey-oot. They have been together for 20 years, but have no intention of ever marrying or living together.

Sounds brilliant tbh.

19 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

It's hard to say. What's a bidey-in?

I only ask cos that woman who married Charles Bronson died yesterday. Being Britain's top nutter, Bronson obviously gets his fair-share of fan letters - mainly from the opposite sex. He appears to have chosen the one with the biggest chebs to propose to (over the phone). So they had the ceremony in his prison, and then whisked him back to his cell straight after. The marriage was never consummated, but I'm not quite sure if she divorced him - or he her (there were pictures of her on holiday with some young guy burying his head in her tits). 

This isn't even the strangest one. The bassist of the Slade was apparently engaged to Rose West for a while. The resulting furore got him sacked from the band and West called off the engagement. 

Fake news. Slade wasn't a real prison.

On 29/07/2019 at 21:43, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Why are long time prisoners allowed to get married? They're not allowed to vote, or indeed, nip down the shops. But it seems strange that they can get married in prison. Why is it allowed?

Article 8, HRA - Right to private and family life.

Interestingly, there's been a marriage between two male prisoners incarcerated in the same jail. That is allowed. If they are discovered having physical sexual relations, they are liable to punishment.

Funny old world, innit?

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Article 8, HRA - Right to private and family life.

Interestingly, there's been a marriage between two male prisoners incarcerated in the same jail. That is allowed. If they are discovered having physical sexual relations, they are liable to punishment.

Funny old world, innit?

Cheers WRK. But how can you have a family life if you're incarcerated and can't start that family? 

43 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers WRK. But how can you have a family life if you're incarcerated and can't start that family? 

That would be a matter for m'learned friends, YE - paid, in these cases by Mr & Mrs Taxpayer - and It would not surprise me if some in this situation applied to adopt, and then filed discriminations claims when refused. Obviously, in a same-sex union, they woulddn't be starting a family in the natural way.

Thing is, imates have a lot of spare time, and a hobby helps fill that time. A cynical man might say that endless frivolous lawsuits (LA funded) are a very popular hobby with our clients. You would not believe some of the cases I've come across in my time.

Jeremy Bamber was convicted in 1986. He is still filing appeals.

My iPad is about 5 years old and just lately hasn't been charging at all when  the charging plug and cable have been connected to it , in the house. The only way that I've been able to charge it is by using the car-cable when running the engine in my car. My question is , will it be ok for me to charge the iPad in my car by turning the ignition key on , without actually starting the engine?.......or am I asking for trouble doing that and running the risk of draining the car battery ? 

In case it isn't obvious , I'll confess to knowing sweet FA about cars and being a technophobe 

3 minutes ago, A96 said:

My iPad is about 5 years old and just lately hasn't been charging at all when  the charging plug and cable have been connected to it , in the house. The only way that I've been able to charge it is by using the car-cable when running the engine in my car. My question is , will it be ok for me to charge the iPad in my car by turning the ignition key on , without actually starting the engine?.......or am I asking for trouble doing that and running the risk of draining the car battery ? 

In case it isn't obvious , I'll confess to knowing sweet FA about cars and being a technophobe 

Have you tried alternative chargers in the hoose?

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Have you tried alternative chargers in the hoose?

Aye, using various plugs , sockets and cables and resting the iPad in different positions. The only combination that seems to work now is the car charger

10 minutes ago, A96 said:

Aye, using various plugs , sockets and cables and resting the iPad in different positions. The only combination that seems to work now is the car charger

Nae idea but I’m sure leaving it in the car with the ignition on is probably not the best idea. Get the missus to go for a big long drive and sneak it in the car then.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Nae idea but I’m sure leaving it in the car with the ignition on is probably not the best idea. Get the missus to go for a big long drive and sneak it in the car then.

Already tried that.  But no matter how far she went in her car , the iPad wouldn't charge in mine. Duhhh !!!

I'm in the process of changing my broadband provider (TalkTalk to Virgin). TalkTalk phoned today looking for the account holder and wanting to know the account password. Is this normal?

No, absolutely not! PM your name, address, bank details, all those passwords and I’ll have a word with those bloody chancers.

I'm in the process of changing my broadband provider (TalkTalk to Virgin). TalkTalk phoned today looking for the account holder and wanting to know the account password. Is this normal?
Nope. Never give your password to anyone* even if they claim that they need to verify it.

* except to NJ2 as he asked for it first

1 hour ago, Serious Business said:

Are you ever so comfortable, in-the-moment at home doing whatever it is, say watching your favourite TV show or reading a thrilling book, that when the feeling of needing a shit arises you consider just letting go in your pants?

I have not as yet been so engrossed in a move/book etc etc that I considered shitting myself.  I doubt I ever will either. 

2 hours ago, Serious Business said:

Are you ever so comfortable, in-the-moment at home doing whatever it is, say watching your favourite TV show or reading a thrilling book, that when the feeling of needing a shit arises you consider just letting go in your pants?

With TV, that's what the pause button is for. With a book, just take it into the bog with you.

1 hour ago, Serious Business said:

Not with that attitude you won't.

I recommend Dante's The Divine Comedy and ITV's Love Island to get you started on your path to rectal enlightenment.

I have all the rectal enlightenment I need for now - but thanks for the  tip!

(Kenneth Williams GIF incoming)

Strangely enough, it'll work better with the windows down and the heating on full blast.