Quick Question Thread

What's the easiest language to learn, and I don't mean from a "Spanish has lots of words similar to English perspective", I mean from a basic grammar and spelling perspective. 

Something out there that doesn't have spoons and forks being treated as male and female, respectively; foal and pole rhyming despite only one having an 'a'; rabbit having a double b when there isn't already a rabit to confuse it with, which would rhyme with habit that is evidently fine with a single 'b'; different spellings for the same word depending on the one that comes before it, a 'd' in fridge but not refrigerator, etc etc etc.

Edited by Hedgecutter

26 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

What's the easiest language to learn, and I don't mean from a "Spanish has lots of words similar to English perspective", I mean from a basic grammar and spelling perspective. 

Something out there that doesn't have all dogs as males; foal and pole rhyming despite only one having an 'a'; rabbit having a double b when there isn't already a rabit to confuse it with, which would rhyme with habit that is evidently fine with a single 'b'; different spellings for words depending on the one that comes before it, that vs which, a 'd' in fridge but not refrigerator, etc etc etc.

Do you mean " real" languages as Esperanto is designed to be as accessible as possible.

English is probably one of the easiest grammatically but the spelling is all over the place.

Finnish is generally recognised as having the most consistent spelling/pronunciation rules and has no gendered nouns but not a lot to draw on for an English speaker.

Norwegian and Dutch are reckoned to be the easiest for English speakers but I find the uncanny valley stuff off-putting. 

.Mandarin Chinese has extremely flexible grammar rules and even "wrong" word order is intelligible.

Edited by invergowrie arab

44 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Something out there that doesn't have spoons and forks being treated as male and female, respectively; foal and pole rhyming despite only one having an 'a'; rabbit having a double b when there isn't already a rabit to confuse it with, which would rhyme with habit that is evidently fine with a single 'b'; different spellings for the same word depending on the one that comes before it, a 'd' in fridge but not refrigerator, etc etc etc.

Something that's annoyed me recently is the past and present tenses of "read" sounding different but spelt exactly the same, so you often have to include unnecessary extra words in writing to clarify the meaning.  

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:
What do Jimmy Carter, George W Bush, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Joe Biden have in common?

They all had Bunton as their favourite Spice Girl.

Emma Stone isn’t actually called Emma. Some other actor had her real name so she had to pick a new one. Baby Spice was her favourite Spice Girl so she picked Emma (Emma Bunton for those that don’t know their Spices). 

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Emma Stone isn’t actually called Emma. Some other actor had her real name so she had to pick a new one. Baby Spice was her favourite Spice Girl so she picked Emma (Emma Bunton for those that don’t know their Spices). 

Ah but was it what she wanted, what she really really wanted? 

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have a polyglot friend who insists Turkish is the easiest language to learn as words are pronounced as they are spelled and there are no gendered nouns or irregular verbs.

I left a bag on a train on Saturday and its now sitting at Blackpool North Station (small bag full of shite from Man Utd club shop).

No very practical for me to go back for it. My solution was to get a courier to pick it up and just deliver it to my house.

Ive tried to be a cheapskate and use Hermes. Basically theyre no for picking it up because ive no put a label on in. Obviously I cant as ive no got it and its sitting in Blackool lost and found. 

Are there any other companies that would lift it without carrying on with labels? I dare say there is but id rather know before i pay more money up front (thats £4.29 fae Hermes il never see again).

I have a polyglot friend who insists Turkish is the easiest language to learn as words are pronounced as they are spelled and there are no gendered nouns or irregular verbs.
I've learnt Turkish. Whilst that is true it takes a long time to get over the word order. "I eat a big chicken" would be ordered "eat I big a chicken".

That's quite a bit hurdle to get over compared to say Danish where you can translate a word at a time without cocking up.

A correct answer to the original question is "whichever one you learn next". With each language you have a go at you'll find the next one easier. Another correct answer is "the one you have most motivation to learn".

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

I left a bag on a train on Saturday and its now sitting at Blackpool North Station (small bag full of shite from Man Utd club shop).

No very practical for me to go back for it. My solution was to get a courier to pick it up and just deliver it to my house.

Ive tried to be a cheapskate and use Hermes. Basically theyre no for picking it up because ive no put a label on in. Obviously I cant as ive no got it and its sitting in Blackool lost and found. 

Are there any other companies that would lift it without carrying on with labels? I dare say there is but id rather know before i pay more money up front (thats £4.29 fae Hermes il never see again).

Have you tried phoning lost property at Blackpool North? Got a bag I left at Frankfurt Station returned that way, cost me more than it was worth mind..