Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The cover has come off and is lying along the street. I’ll pick it up and have a nosey later.  The labels inside next to the wires say (I think), Pipe, Anode, Coupon, Ref Cell. I’m thinking it’s some kind of corrosion protection for some buried pipe or something. 

truth be told, f**k knows.

Could be a lump of zinc, commonly used as a sacrificial anode, still in use as protection for modern gas fired water heaters.

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Could be a lump of zinc, commonly used as a sacrificial anode, still in use as protection for modern gas fired water heaters.

Pretty sure thats what it is. Maybe for a gas pipe below.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Pretty sure thats what it is. Maybe for a gas pipe below.

Before you investigate further can I just check that your Life Assurance policy is fully up to date, that Mrs Mullarkey is the sole beneficiary, and she'll be looking for a new husband before the sausage rolls at the wake have gone cold?

How busy does Edinburgh airport get first thing on a Monday morning? My flight to Doha is at 8am and I'm wondering whether I need to be there the standard 3 hrs before, or whether 2 hrs would be fine?

6 minutes ago, Swarley said:

How busy does Edinburgh airport get first thing on a Monday morning? My flight to Doha is at 8am and I'm wondering whether I need to be there the standard 3 hrs before, or whether 2 hrs would be fine?

I'd reckon two would be plenty, although you could turn up four hours before and you'll still not get a seat in Spoons.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

I'd reckon two would be plenty, although you could turn up four hours before and you'll still not get a seat in Spoons.

Is that such a bad thing?

37 minutes ago, Swarley said:

2 will be fine. 

Just make sure you ask if the wheel nuts are tightened before you take off.

41 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Unlimited tea and coffee re-fills. Get it down before you go back to Fosters and Vegemite.

Prepare to have your mind blown but no one in Australia drinks Fosters. I don't think I've ever seen it on sale anywhere. Its why that tv advert for Fosters Shandy is an international incident waiting to happen. I've also never heard anyone in Australia refer to denim shorts as Jorts.

5 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Prepare to have your mind blown but no one in Australia drinks Fosters. I don't think I've ever seen it on sale anywhere. Its why that tv advert for Fosters Shandy is an international incident waiting to happen. I've also never heard anyone in Australia refer to denim shorts as Jorts.

I haven’t seen Fosters in a bottle shop since a few years before Covid and it was stocked infrequently and almost always discounted as nobody bought it. Like you never heard of jorts but the Kiwis call thongs jandals. 

13 minutes ago, Eednud said:

I haven’t seen Fosters in a bottle shop since a few years before Covid and it was stocked infrequently and almost always discounted as nobody bought it. Like you never heard of jorts but the Kiwis call thongs jandals. 

Because nobody in Australia can spell "Foster's". That's why XXXX is so popular.

40 minutes ago, Swarley said:

I think Jorts might be a yank thing. I’ve never heard anyone say it out loud either but there’s a local brewery does a hazy called Juice Pants and then did one with a slightly different hop bill called Juice Jorts. 

37 minutes ago, Eednud said:

What do you make of this mate, so bloody un-Australian. Not just Fosters but Fosters Shandy!

3 hours ago, Swarley said:

What do you make of this mate, so bloody un-Australian. Not just Fosters but Fosters Shandy!

Helpful they put all the shit beer together like that though