Quick Question Thread

I love Kill Bill and tend to count the whole thing as one film, rather than two separate ones. You can't exactly watch one without the other. Fantastic, leave-your-brain-at-the-door entertainment. If you're looking for a film you can take seriously, you're going to be disappointed. It's meant to be far fetched and ridiculous, and that's what I love about it.

I was thinking about what the f**k I would do with my life last night, pretty worried. I'm half way into a marketing degree which holds no interest for me whatsoever and far from guarentees me a good job. I don't know if I'm more scared of not being able to work in marketing/sales when I'm out or being able to.

Anyway it occured to me that instead of coming out of uni lost and not knowing what to do with my life, it would be much better to travel round the world and live my life as much as possible whilst I still don't have any big responsibilities. Anyone on here just set off with people or on their own abroad to try and make a life of it? Is it possible to go round the world for a year or two and keep yourself going working on the way, or is it harder than it sounds?

Btw despite hating marketing, this is something I plan to do in two years after my degree is finished. Reason being A) I've got no money now, and B) I assume a degree in any subject would help to an extent if you decided on a totally different career path?

Any advice on any aspect of it would be massively appreciated, cheers.

Edited by Guest

I was thinking about what the f**k I would do with my life last night, pretty worried. I'm half way into a marketing degree which holds no interest for me whatsoever and far from guarentees me a good job. I don't know if I'm more scared of not being able to work in marketing/sales when I'm out or being able to.

Anyway it occured to me that instead of coming out of uni lost and not knowing what to do with my life, it would be much better to travel round the world and live my life as much as possible whilst I still don't have any big responsibilities. Anyone on here just set off with people or on their own abroad to try and make a life of it? Is it possible to go round the world for a year or two and keep yourself going working on the way, or is it harder than it sounds?

Btw despite hating marketing, this is something I plan to do in two years after my degree is finished. Reason being A) I've got no money now, and B) I assume a degree in any subject would help to an extent if you decided on a totally different career path?

Finish your course, have a wee holiday, get a job, make some money. Forget your wobble.

Well it's a good start. I mean, asking on a football forum is precisely the way most people would go about planning their careers, travel plans and general life direction, so well done you.

Well it's a good start. I mean, asking on a football forum is precisely the way most people would go about planning their careers, travel plans and general life direction, so well done you.

Wasn't asking for anyone to plan my career, travel plan or life direction. Just wondering if anyone had moved abroad to travel for a long period (over a year say), and if they had any advice on what it was like.

Cheers.

Wasn't asking for anyone to plan my career, travel plan or life direction. Just wondering if anyone had moved abroad to travel for a long period (over a year say), and if they had any advice on what it was like.

Cheers.

I came to Canada for 6 months. Got a job in a hotel and it's pretty good. The job itself is dull but I think it's kind of like being at Uni (except no studying etc. obviously). I live in the staff residence which is massive and there's loads of people of a variety of ages and nationalities. Lots of drinking and so on.

I would imagine you could do something similar in another country such as Australia or New Zealand or wherever. You could save up enough money through working, then travel or something.

Don't really know if that's the type of thing you were looking for.

To be honest I'm pretty much the same, if I had say 2 grand or something I'd be off like a shot. I've just finished a pishy HND that'll get me no where and to be honest if I became a full time football coach I probably wouldn't do half the things a normal one would do. Personal Training Programmes, training sessions, f**k that for a laugh. Only thing I would enjoy is the tactical and man management side of things and even that's a manager's job.

At the moment I'm just looking for something - anything over the summer to make sure I have a few quid in my pocket and even here in Scotland I can't find that.

I came to Canada for 6 months. Got a job in a hotel and it's pretty good. The job itself is dull but I think it's kind of like being at Uni (except no studying etc. obviously). I live in the staff residence which is massive and there's loads of people of a variety of ages and nationalities. Lots of drinking and so on.

I would imagine you could do something similar in another country such as Australia or New Zealand or wherever. You could save up enough money through working, then travel or something.

Don't really know if that's the type of thing you were looking for.

I like the sound of what you did, I obviously don't expect to be doing amazingly interesting work, but if I could get about the world and see some interesting places and meet interesting people it would definitely be worth it imo.

Cheers Bonksy.

To be honest I'm pretty much the same, if I had say 2 grand or something I'd be off like a shot. I've just finished a pishy HND that'll get me no where and to be honest if I became a full time football coach I probably wouldn't do half the things a normal one would do. Personal Training Programmes, training sessions, f**k that for a laugh. Only thing I would enjoy is the tactical and man management side of things and even that's a manager's job.

At the moment I'm just looking for something - anything over the summer to make sure I have a few quid in my pocket and even here in Scotland I can't find that.

That's the thing, talking about saving up thousands of pounds is easier in principal than reality.

Good luck getting work.

Guest The Phoenix

Does anyone know why judges wear the stupid looking wigs in court?

In brief it dates back to times when wigs were fashionable for men (17th Century?).

Not sure why but the legal profession has continued to adopt this a standard practice for court.

You need a wad of cash behind you. You will be able to find work legally in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Canada (with the easily obtainable correct working holiday visas for the last 3) but if you intend to do a bit of work here, move on, do a bit of work there, move one, etc. you won't get much money. Basically you will have enough to cover food and board and whatever other shit you might want to do/see when you were there. In short time scales you aren't going to be saving enough money to buy another air far or a ticket for a really long rail journey. In the US there is a reasonable chance of getting low paid cash in hand work but this is even less reliable than the countries you can work in. These countries are expensive places to live and travel.

In the Sub Continent/SE Asia/South America you aren't really going to get work, for a start you aren't allowed to and of course any menial jobs you do get are going to pay you absolutely sod all, you'll be on the lower rung of a wage scale that offers the lower rung barely enough money to eat in many cases or enough money to live in a slum in other cases. There may well be opportunities to do something where you are staying and get free food and board but that would be that really. The only way I know of to make money as a travelling type in these places is to get a TEFL qualification and teach English, I didnt do that.

You really do need something to fall back on. Nobody who goes to the developed world to work and travel makes money doing this, they keep themselves in a bed, with food and up to their eyeballs in ale. Unless you have a trade behind you (which it doesnt cound like), sparks/plumbers/chefs (proper ones) can make a nice wedge in these places but it doesn't necessarily fit in with the travelling about idea.