Quick Question Thread

In brief it dates back to times when wigs were fashionable for men (17th Century?).

Not sure why but the legal profession has continued to adopt this a standard practice for court.

Thanks, there are a couple of people who wear them in the House of Commons aswell.

I only noticed that yesterday

:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure I've broken my toe again (broke it last year). When I went to A and E last year they just told me to rest it and dont walk to much on it.

Is there any point in going tonight ?

I'm pretty sure I've broken my toe again (broke it last year). When I went to A and E last year they just told me to rest it and dont walk to much on it.

Is there any point in going tonight ?

You didn't get it plastered? I got mine plastered when I broke it. Just a small plaster that went round the broken toe and two other ones aswell though.

It's one of the most uncomfortable injuries you can get isn't it? You know you can still walk but end up walking like you've shit yourself.

You didn't get it plastered? I got mine plastered when I broke it. Just a small plaster that went round the broken toe and two other ones aswell though.

It's one of the most uncomfortable injuries you can get isn't it? You know you can still walk but end up walking like you've shit yourself.

Nope.Just told me to rest it a lot and take painkillers if need be

Yeah it is. As well as walking like i've shit myself i'm trying to keep it off the ground so I look like a right muppet :lol:

You need a wad of cash behind you. You will be able to find work legally in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Canada (with the easily obtainable correct working holiday visas for the last 3) but if you intend to do a bit of work here, move on, do a bit of work there, move one, etc. you won't get much money. Basically you will have enough to cover food and board and whatever other shit you might want to do/see when you were there. In short time scales you aren't going to be saving enough money to buy another air far or a ticket for a really long rail journey. In the US there is a reasonable chance of getting low paid cash in hand work but this is even less reliable than the countries you can work in. These countries are expensive places to live and travel.

In the Sub Continent/SE Asia/South America you aren't really going to get work, for a start you aren't allowed to and of course any menial jobs you do get are going to pay you absolutely sod all, you'll be on the lower rung of a wage scale that offers the lower rung barely enough money to eat in many cases or enough money to live in a slum in other cases. There may well be opportunities to do something where you are staying and get free food and board but that would be that really. The only way I know of to make money as a travelling type in these places is to get a TEFL qualification and teach English, I didnt do that.

You really do need something to fall back on. Nobody who goes to the developed world to work and travel makes money doing this, they keep themselves in a bed, with food and up to their eyeballs in ale. Unless you have a trade behind you (which it doesnt cound like), sparks/plumbers/chefs (proper ones) can make a nice wedge in these places but it doesn't necessarily fit in with the travelling about idea.

You can teach English in most places without a TEFL qualification, especially if you're already out there. A degree helps. With or without TEFL though, the pay is usually shite , unless you're somewhere like Japan or the Middle East.

I don't think they tend to bother anymore. It doesn't make that much of a difference.

Nope.Just told me to rest it a lot and take painkillers if need be

Tape the injured one to one of the neighbouring toes and of course rest and take painkillers. For certain bones (toes, ribs) the treatment for bruising and fractures is the same, so there's little point in being exposed to x-rays - the risk of illness arising from x-rays is very small, but if you don't get exposed to it, there's no risk whatsoever.

I thought you were in the same team as Ad Lib for this year.

Nah, he's away. This year I've drafted in Sweet Pete and Supras and a few hingers-oan sourced by the former.

There's a certain irony that I'm not playing the year they've decided to wear Killie tops.

Quite!

You need a wad of cash behind you. You will be able to find work legally in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Canada (with the easily obtainable correct working holiday visas for the last 3) but if you intend to do a bit of work here, move on, do a bit of work there, move one, etc. you won't get much money. Basically you will have enough to cover food and board and whatever other shit you might want to do/see when you were there. In short time scales you aren't going to be saving enough money to buy another air far or a ticket for a really long rail journey. In the US there is a reasonable chance of getting low paid cash in hand work but this is even less reliable than the countries you can work in. These countries are expensive places to live and travel.

In the Sub Continent/SE Asia/South America you aren't really going to get work, for a start you aren't allowed to and of course any menial jobs you do get are going to pay you absolutely sod all, you'll be on the lower rung of a wage scale that offers the lower rung barely enough money to eat in many cases or enough money to live in a slum in other cases. There may well be opportunities to do something where you are staying and get free food and board but that would be that really. The only way I know of to make money as a travelling type in these places is to get a TEFL qualification and teach English, I didnt do that.

You really do need something to fall back on. Nobody who goes to the developed world to work and travel makes money doing this, they keep themselves in a bed, with food and up to their eyeballs in ale. Unless you have a trade behind you (which it doesnt cound like), sparks/plumbers/chefs (proper ones) can make a nice wedge in these places but it doesn't necessarily fit in with the travelling about idea.

Cheers mate.

Yeah tbh I wasn't thinking I'd travel around for a year or two and come back with lots of money saved up. The bit in bold sounds alright to me, obviously not as a plan for how to spend the rest of your life but whilst I'm still just about young it might be a bit of an experience.

I agree about having something to fall back on, I'd need to do some thinking if I went travelling about what I really want to do for a career. Like I said in my original post I certainly can't be fucked with marketing, but if I decided later I wanted to do a specific job then I'm sure having a degree would help to some degree (although further training may be required), so I'll definitely work hard over the next two years at getting a degree and making some money before anything else.

I like the sound of what you did, I obviously don't expect to be doing amazingly interesting work, but if I could get about the world and see some interesting places and meet interesting people it would definitely be worth it imo.

Cheers Bonksy.

That's the thing, talking about saving up thousands of pounds is easier in principal than reality.

Good luck getting work.

I know a guy who after finishing uni went got work as a sports organiser at a Greek hotel on a six month contract - without any qualifications or anything. It was pretty much just organising 5 a side football and volleyball tournaments. He told me you get 500 Euros a month and free accomodation/food etc. I was going to do it but now have other plans for this summer.

If that's something you would be interested in drop me a PM, he highly recommended it.

And you don't really need any cash or anything in the bank to do it.

Edited by Supras

I know a guy who after finishing uni went got work as a sports organiser at a Greek hotel on a six month contract - without any qualifications or anything. It was pretty much just organising 5 a side football and volleyball tournaments. He told me you get 500 Euros a month and free accomodation/food etc. I was going to do it but now have other plans for this summer.

If that's something you would be interested in drop me a PM, he highly recommended it.

And you don't really need any cash or anything in the bank to do it.

That is definitely the type of thing I'd be after, sounds great. Only problem is I don't finish uni for two years, although I could probably be convinced to go next summer. If you have the details of this place I'd really appreciate it, something to look into in the future. I tried sending you a PM but your inbox must be full or something because it said you couldn't receive the message.

Cheers Supras.

That is definitely the type of thing I'd be after, sounds great. Only problem is I don't finish uni for two years, although I could probably be convinced to go next summer. If you have the details of this place I'd really appreciate it, something to look into in the future. I tried sending you a PM but your inbox must be full or something because it said you couldn't receive the message.

Cheers Supras.

You will keep us in touch with every aspect of you life while you're way though. won't you? It's like The Truman Show, we could vote what you do next.

You will keep us in touch with every aspect of you life while you're way though. won't you? It's like The Truman Show, we could vote what you do next.

f**k off please, cheers.

A couple of months ago I admit that I went well overboard typing out all the shitty, boring problems I had at the time on here. I took the ripping and admitted I was being a pleb. In this case I'm just asking for some advice on something I don't know much about, and I'd say it was worth it because some people have been very helpful.

So aye, get tae. :)

Guest The Phoenix

I'm just asking for some advice on something I don't know much about.

Looks like we're in for a busy time, folks. ;)

Yeah, I thought that might happen. I'll send it over to you anyway.

f**k off please, cheers.

A couple of months ago I admit that I went well overboard typing out all the shitty, boring problems I had at the time on here. I took the ripping and admitted I was being a pleb. In this case I'm just asking for some advice on something I don't know much about, and I'd say it was worth it because some people have been very helpful.

So aye, get tae. :)

You'll never live it down. You should think about moving abroad or something.

Looks like we're in for a busy time, folks. ;)

You'll never live it down. You should think about moving abroad or something.

You two should be a comedy double act. Phoenix can crack all the puns, whereas Sergeant Wilson can go down the Frankie Boyle route, basically just picking individuals in the crowd and saying "look at you ya c**t" in the hope that this passes as humour.

You two should be a comedy double act. Phoenix can crack all the puns, whereas Sergeant Wilson can go down the Frankie Boyle route, basically just picking individuals in the crowd and saying "look at you ya c**t" in the hope that this passes as humour.

That's about the size of it.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson