Quick Question Thread

What makes a magnet magnetic?

I write in connection with your application for the post of Village Idiot. You do have many of the skills we were looking for, unfortunately the position has been filled by Lichtieforlife. We will keep your name on file should any similar vacancies arise.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

What makes a magnet magnetic?

Its to do with the outer electron orbitals of the atoms of said magnet and how theyre aligned.

Each of the atoms have a north and south side, and if they all align, one end of your magnet will become a north pole, and the other a south pole.

I think, been a while since I covered this.

Its to do with the outer electron orbitals of the atoms of said magnet and how theyre aligned.

Each of the atoms have a north and south side, and if they all align, one end of your magnet will become a north pole, and the other a south pole.

I think, been a while since I covered this.

But if they align the same way for the north and the south side, why are they differently charged?

I write in connection with your application for the post of Village Idiot. You do have many of the skills we were looking for, unfortunately the position has been filled by Lichtieforlife. We will keep your name on file should any similar vacancies arise.

He's a lichtie wannabee.

So you're not clever enough to answer my question, so you have to resort to bad jokes? I pity you.

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Apollo today. 99% of it is working smoothly but for some reason I can't send messages. Anyone have a solution?

I got a galaxy s today and had the same prob, i just switched it off and on again and it worked fine after.

But if they align the same way for the north and the south side, why are they differently charged?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, but it's because of the polarity of the electrons.

Well what makes the sides differently charged?

The polarity of the electrons. Do you not do Chemistry at school?

When the electrons are flying about the atom, sometimes the electrons are unevenly spread so there will be a temporary dipole. So one side will be more negatively charged then the other. Does that make sense?

The polarity of the electrons. Do you not do Chemistry at school?

When the electrons are flying about the atom, sometimes the electrons are unevenly spread so there will be a temporary dipole. So one side will be more negatively charged then the other. Does that make sense?

I do do chemistry yes but we've not covered that yet thanks you for your answer. :)

I'm looking into doing some raping in the UAE. Can anyone tell me if I'm likely to get off with it if the women have been known to sleep around a bit?

If you are in the company of 4 adult, male muslims, distract them by telling them there 50 virgins round the corner.