Quick Question Thread

Does anyone on here know where in glasgow I can find any of the following items.

A Cheese Steak Sandwhich (not subway)

A cannoli

1. TGI Fridays

2. Garlic Deli on Shettleston Street

I've got a question for anyone who knows their shit when it comes to property, it would be much appreciated.

I'm living in a flat where the lease runs out at the end of September, so we have just one more rent payment at the end of this month. The landlord is a right knob, every time he comes round there's something else wrong with the place (although he doesn't realise we have pictures of these things being there the day we moved in, so we'll keep that as a surprise should we need to). It's just so obvious that he's gearing up to try and find any reason he can to keep our deposit, it's not even sly.

There are one or two things which are broken and I accept they'll need to be either replaced or the cost of replacing them taken from the deposit, but I know he'll find a thousand and one other reasons to keep the lot. So my question is this: if we replaced anything that's broken, cleaned the place up and left by the end of the month, what could he potentially do if we just didn't pay the last months rent?

After all he has our deposit to cover the last month, he just can't make another £330 charging us for f**k all. Ta.

Edited by Guest

Another financial question. I got paid for the first time last week and I got taxed 20% of my wages through PAYE. I'm a student (just left school, starting Uni in September) and my sister doesn't get taxed at all. I got a letter today from HMRC saying my tax code is 0T.

Can anyone help me with this? Will I get my money back or will I always be taxed?

Cheers, I haven't got a clue about this stuff so any help is greatly appreciated.

Another financial question. I got paid for the first time last week and I got taxed 20% of my wages through PAYE. I'm a student (just left school, starting Uni in September) and my sister doesn't get taxed at all. I got a letter today from HMRC saying my tax code is 0T.

Can anyone help me with this? Will I get my money back or will I always be taxed?

Cheers, I haven't got a clue about this stuff so any help is greatly appreciated.

Code 0T (i.e. zero T) is, strictly speaking, a standard suffix code, as it is a number followed by a letter. If you have this tax code, the numerical value, 0, means that your “tax-free pay” is nil. As a result, you would be taxed on all of your earnings at the appropriate tax rates, i.e. 20% and 40%, depending on your earnings.

You may be given this tax code if you are a student and you are working during your holidays from college or university. (See I am a student at college or university. How can I be paid wages without paying tax?) If you meet all the necessary conditions, your employer uses tax code NT initially so that you do not pay any tax on your earnings. However, as soon as your earnings in the tax year reach £6,475, your employer would change your tax code to 0T. You have already had all of your tax-free pay, so all of your earnings now will be taxed at the appropriate rate.

Emergency tax codeThe emergency tax code is set by the Government each year. For the 2009/10 tax year, the emergency code is 647L. Your employer is allowed to allocate this code for new employees in certain circumstances if HMRC has not yet provided an official tax code. It ensures that they receive the full personal allowance for the year.

I've got a question for anyone who knows their shit when it comes to property, it would be much appreciated.

I'm living in a flat where the lease runs out at the end of September, so we have just one more rent payment at the end of this month. The landlord is a right knob, every time he comes round there's something else wrong with the place (although he doesn't realise we have pictures of these things being there the day we moved in, so we'll keep that as a surprise should we need to). It's just so obvious that he's gearing up to try and find any reason he can to keep our deposit, it's not even sly.

There are one or two things which are broken and I accept they'll need to be either replaced or the cost of replacing them taken from the deposit, but I know he'll find a thousand and one other reasons to keep the lot. So my question is this: if we replaced anything that's broken, cleaned the place up and left by the end of the month, what could he potentially do if we just didn't pay the last months rent?

After all he has our deposit to cover the last month, he just can't make another £330 charging us for f**k all. Ta.

Well, the deposit isn't really for covering missed rent payments, it's intended to cover landlord's losses / damages and costs of decoration. If you don't pay it and he has contact details and addresses then he can pursue you through the Sheriff court on the grounds of breach of contract. You'd then have to argue your side of things as to why you didn't bother paying it.

If he doesn't have any way of contacting you if you do a bunk then fair enough, but you've definitely lost your deposit then. In my experience, never assume anything. Pay the last month's rent and then ask for your deposit back. You never know, he may hand it over, or at least some of it after he's deducted his reasonable entitlement for costs etc.

If you use a large chain letting agent in future and they ask for a reference from your most recent landlord then you'd be fucked if you do a bunk with his rent.

Edit to add: remember also that the terms of your lease should have specific clauses for termination, so make sure you know the proper procedure. Most leases nowadays are standardised in Scotland, a 6 month affair with allowed periods of notice for tenants and landlords to serve notice to quit (usually 2 months advance notice for the landlord serving notice on the tenant and 1 month's notice for the reverse). The reason I bring this up is because leases don't just "expire", they roll on as before even after the time periods stated in the document have elapsed, unless either party changes the terms of the lease by way of specific written procedure.

Edited by Sweet Pete

What's the average price of a 3 night stay in Amsterdam (flights and accomodation)? Also, what's the going rate for one of them hookers in the window?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about accommodation but 50 euros should get you a "f**k and a Suck" session lasting 15 minutes.

By the sounds of it your employer has dumped you straight onto the 20% PAYE band, assuming you've already earned £7.5k or so in the exempt allowance in this tax year. If you earn under your allowance over the whole tax year, you'll be able to claim it back by a tax rebate, but for now, I'd suggest filling in a P38S form which allows students and recent school-leavers to receive their pay without any income tax deductions at source.

The reason I bring this up is because leases don't just "expire", they roll on as before even after the time periods stated in the document have elapsed, unless either party changes the terms of the lease by way of specific written procedure.

Nothing like a cheeky bit of tacit relocation to f**k over a landlord who fails to give proper notice.

Code 0T (i.e. zero T) is, strictly speaking, a standard suffix code, as it is a number followed by a letter. If you have this tax code, the numerical value, 0, means that your "tax-free pay" is nil. As a result, you would be taxed on all of your earnings at the appropriate tax rates, i.e. 20% and 40%, depending on your earnings.

You may be given this tax code if you are a student and you are working during your holidays from college or university. (See I am a student at college or university. How can I be paid wages without paying tax?) If you meet all the necessary conditions, your employer uses tax code NT initially so that you do not pay any tax on your earnings. However, as soon as your earnings in the tax year reach £6,475, your employer would change your tax code to 0T. You have already had all of your tax-free pay, so all of your earnings now will be taxed at the appropriate rate.

Emergency tax codeThe emergency tax code is set by the Government each year. For the 2009/10 tax year, the emergency code is 647L. Your employer is allowed to allocate this code for new employees in certain circumstances if HMRC has not yet provided an official tax code. It ensures that they receive the full personal allowance for the year.

Cheers. I won't be earning £6k a year (I'd imagine I'll get half of that or something) so I don't see why I'm getting taxed, or if (which I'm assuming) it's because I'm a new employee. Confusing stuff, I thought I wouldn't be getting taxed as I'm a part-time student.

Nice one. 8)

Cheers for that.

You can also haggle if you go the lower quality subjects off the beaten track. If they are having a quiet evening you can normally get a couple girls for 40 euros. Might be worht considering a visit to the bannana bar beforehand, its reasonably pricey but it acts as a tremendous amuse bouche.

Well, the deposit isn't really for covering missed rent payments, it's intended to cover landlord's losses / damages and costs of decoration. If you don't pay it and he has contact details and addresses then he can pursue you through the Sheriff court on the grounds of breach of contract. You'd then have to argue your side of things as to why you didn't bother paying it.

If he doesn't have any way of contacting you if you do a bunk then fair enough, but you've definitely lost your deposit then. In my experience, never assume anything. Pay the last month's rent and then ask for your deposit back. You never know, he may hand it over, or at least some of it after he's deducted his reasonable entitlement for costs etc.

If you use a large chain letting agent in future and they ask for a reference from your most recent landlord then you'd be fucked if you do a bunk with his rent.

Edit to add: remember also that the terms of your lease should have specific clauses for termination, so make sure you know the proper procedure. Most leases nowadays are standardised in Scotland, a 6 month affair with allowed periods of notice for tenants and landlords to serve notice to quit (usually 2 months advance notice for the landlord serving notice on the tenant and 1 month's notice for the reverse). The reason I bring this up is because leases don't just "expire", they roll on as before even after the time periods stated in the document have elapsed, unless either party changes the terms of the lease by way of specific written procedure.

Cheers.

I'm not going to go through with this. I don't think he has my details but he has all the details of one of my flatmates, so I don't want him to get screwed over.

I can see the landlord trying every trick in the book. Thankfully a flatmates dad's friend is a property lawyer, so hopefully he tries it on thinking we're a soft target and ends up shiting himself before back-tracking. That would be great.

Edited by Guest

Cheers.

I'm not going to go through with this. I don't think he has my details but he has all the details of one of my flatmates, so I don't want him to get screwed over.

I can see the landlord trying every trick in the book. Thankfully a flatmates dad's friend is a property lawyer, so hopefully he tries it on thinking we're a soft target and ends up shiting himself before back-tracking. That would be great.

Your flatmate's dad's friend won't bother his arse to help you, solicitors, particularly conveyancing solicitors, are lazy b*****ds.

Got a ticket for the Scotland game for me and mates, getting the train, do I get off at Central and then wait for the train to the Mount Florida and how long is the wait?

I'm looking to buy a second hand car but dont know what to look for, i'm pretty useless at cars and the last two i've had was either bought off a family member or a mate.

Any idea's what i should be looking for? Or what questions to ask?

Cheers