Quick Question Thread

I need to write a discursive essay for English before I go back to school. I'm allowed to do it on anything I want. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what to do it on! Anyone got any ideas?

Please note that sensible answers are also welcome. rolleyes.gif

I need to write a discursive essay for English before I go back to school. I'm allowed to do it on anything I want. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what to do it on! Anyone got any ideas?

Euthanasia

Abortion

The smoking ban

The Royal family

Team GB

OF moving to England etc etc

scottish league reconstruction. i'm sure there was a thread on it not long ago.

I went for why downloading music illegally is bad, essentially.

Euthanasia

Abortion

Pretty sure those two aren't allowed though.

Anyone know anything about terminating a lease early? Am I likely to lose my deposit if I do?

It depends on your contract.

It may contain a clause that allows early termination.

The best idea would be to go to the landlord and explain it to them. They might be happy to terminate it if you can find them another tenant, or if it's in a high demand area where they will have no trouble finding an alternative tenant.

You'd be liable for the rest of the rent if you break the contract, iirc.

It depends on your contract.

It may contain a clause that allows early termination.

The best idea would be to go to the landlord and explain it to them. They might be happy to terminate it if you can find them another tenant, or if it's in a high demand area where they will have no trouble finding an alternative tenant.

You'd be liable for the rest of the rent if you break the contract, iirc.

Cheers, I thought that'd be the case. Doesn't bother me particularly, can't say that the ex will be too enthused by having to pay her share of a flat she isn't living in though.

Guest The Phoenix

Anyone know anything about terminating a lease early? Am I likely to lose my deposit if I do?

If you want to leave before your tenancy has run out or you are in a period when it has renewed itself, you will need to check if you can arrange to leave before the end of the tenancy. It should state on your tenancy agreement whether you can do this and if so, how much notice you have to give.

Even if this is not mentioned on the tenancy agreement, you may be able to come to an arrangement with your landlord.

If you cannot reach an arrangement with your landlord, you will have to give notice stating that you wish to leave when the tenancy runs out.

The minimum notice you have to give is (if the notice is not stated on the lease):

40 days if your tenancy is for six months or longer

28 days if your tenancy is continuing on a month to month basis after the original period has expired.

The minimum notice is based on how long it says the property was let for on your tenancy agreement. It is not based on how long you have lived in the property.

If you leave the property without giving notice or before your notice has run out, you will still be responsible for the property and for any rent that you are due to pay. If your landlord has to take any legal action, you could also be responsible for any costs that they have to pay.

Your deposit acts as security or a guarantee against:

damage you, as a tenant, may do to the property

cleaning bills if you have left the property in poor condition

bills that are left unpaid, for example fuel or telephone bills

any unpaid rent.