Quick Question Thread

What happened to swine flu?

Thought everyone was going to die.:unsure:

Folk finally realised that is is just a type of flu, not some plague. I'm sure the Students-Returning-From-Summer Flu affects far more but the news never get too excited about that one.

Just imagine it: "...Reports indicate that a 100th student here on campus has been diagnosed with a cold. David Henderson, Reporting Scotland, live from Strathclyde University."

What happened to swine flu?

Thought everyone was going to die.:unsure:

My Mum and Gran had a few weeks ago, though I've avoided it.

Paco, just get yourself to topman they will kit you out. Neon laces?

I'm just going with the t-shirt and probably some stupid facepaint I'll be roped into putting on.

Folk finally realised that is is just a type of flu, not some plague. I'm sure the Students-Returning-From-Summer Flu affects far more but the news never get too excited about that one.

Just imagine it: "...Reports indicate that a 100th student here on campus has been diagnosed with a cold. David Henderson, Reporting Scotland, live from Strathclyde University."

Freshers Flu, sir. :D

Do government ministers need prerequisites to become minister of a particular department?

For example, (I think) Mike Weir jumped from being minister of Culture to minister of Education but can any old person get elected, become an MP, get popular within a party, try their hand at leading the Department of Culture and then take on the education of the nations children because the Education Minister post was going within that party in Holyrood? :huh:

You are best going with Hekla, or any other Icelandic volcanoes.

What exactly is it you have to do?

It's a group presentation for Quaternary with D. Fabel.

It's only earth science students, who are getting marked on it. So i've been asked to find a case study, and get some background info on Sigurdur Thórarinsson. I was hoping for getting a study that links in with his work but the library has no journals, and the only book they have by Sigurdur is a big picture book of Iceland.

Cheers anyway

Go onto the science direct website from the uni library and just type in 'Sigurdur Thórarinsson' or 'Tephrochronolgy' and I'm sure there will be loads of articles there.

P.S - I love Del Fabel

I don't think it's actually possible for anyone that's done geography not to love DFab

It was great finding out he's my dissertation advisor

Edited by gc_smfc

Do government ministers need prerequisites to become minister of a particular department?

For example, (I think) Mike Weir jumped from being minister of Culture to minister of Education but can any old person get elected, become an MP, get popular within a party, try their hand at leading the Department of Culture and then take on the education of the nations children because the Education Minister post was going within that party in Holyrood? :huh:

No to your first question, yes to your second.

I don't think it's actually possible for anyone that's done geography not to love DFab

It was great finding out he's my dissertation advisor

What are you doing it on?

At the end of our last ever Glacial lecture he told us there would be a question in the exam on exactly what we had done that day. I the content of that lecture learned back to front and sure enough the question came up and I got an A1.

It's a group presentation for Quaternary with D. Fabel.

It's only earth science students, who are getting marked on it. So i've been asked to find a case study, and get some background info on Sigurdur Thórarinsson. I was hoping for getting a study that links in with his work but the library has no journals, and the only book they have by Sigurdur is a big picture book of Iceland.

Cheers anyway

There's a few cases closer to home up in northwest Scotland but not sure how 'famous' they'd have to be for you. I'd imagine it would be the case study of the layers themselves rather than the source volanoes (which again, are Icelandic). You could try this one which is fairly recent. Most uni's should subscribe to the Journal of Quaternary Science if they have a Geography Dept.

Ranner, P. H., Allen, J. R. M. & Huntley, B. (2005). A new early Holocene cryptotephra from northwest Scotland. Journal of Quaternary Science, 20, 201–208.

No to your first question, yes to your second.

Seems a bit odd having a government minister in charge of education (of all things) that's never had any experience in the wonderful world of education since they were at school themselves.