The New Raith Rovers Thread

Wasn't that was the 3-2 game against Ayr where they scored in the 2nd minute of injury time, only for us to take kick off and have a 7 pass move before Graham Weir headed in?

Yeah that was the game. Turned our season as it forced us to go 4-3-3 and play Weir, Smith and Wales up front together and we never really looked back.

Yeah that was the game. Turned our season as it forced us to go 4-3-3 and play Weir, Smith and Wales up front together and we never really looked back.

Funny thing is the 4-3-3 was played a lot less than you'd think. Williamson and Simmons came in and we quickly went back to a 4-4-2.

I preferred the goal a couple of weeks later against Brechin in the 2-2 game. Incredible technique.

Aye that was actually the week after his goal against Peterhead. Definitely favoured the one against Brechin. Such a great season that was.

If he's foreign get him signed. He'll be great.

Not like Moussa Outarra though!

If he's foreign get him signed. He'll be great.

Or worse like Maurice Mendy?

Oh for a Ramon Pereira or an fit Damien Cassalinuovo though eh?

Surely after the result last night, Martin Canning will get the sack. Maybe we can sign him to play at the back which would free Davo up to be yet another central midfield option. I mean who needs strikers anyway?

Feck it lets reminisce about that 2nd Division title season. Certainly one of my favourite seasons following the Rovers and the comments above have brought back some great memories. Whilst I was going to games home and away during the glory years in the 90's and managed to the European games I was probably still a bit too young to fully appreciate it all. The Calderon winning season was fun but really the last 2nd Division title winning season was a hoot for me. By that point I had a big group of friends that were committed to going home and away that season and none of us had any nagging wifes so it meant most games were done on the razzle. I remember we all made a last minute decision to head down to Stranraer in the supporters bus (think we won 3-1) and the bus got stuck in a ditch outside the ground. Think we were stuck there for a good 2 hours or so after the game all trying to get this bus out the ditch. Freezing cold at the time but looking back it was hilarious and a fantastic away day. Great memories travelling down to Ayr as both teams had a decent support so made for a good atmosphere. We were probably the biggest team in the league that season so 9 times out of 10 we'd take a good away support and something about those old grounds made it really great fun. Even that atmosphere at the San Starko was rocking, there was always a healthy contingent of people up the back making a noise and you really had to get into the ground early doors to get seated up there. The games against EF were always a tasty affair as well, the various verbals from Wullie Gray in the lead up to the games just increased the fans and players desire to win and to win the league and not lose to them that season was sweet.

Minus Weir's goal at Hampden I think the game where I lost the plot the most was at home to Abroath where they had just equalised with minutes to go and Mark Ferry then scored our winner in injury time. It was probably quite dangerous actually as loads of folk were standing at the exits then as soon as the goal went in it was just a massive surge towards the front of the stand.

Leaving Hampden after winning the league was something else as well. Such a jovial feeling and when we got back to Glasgow Central we were greeted by some Killie fans congratulating us. Think they were more pleased at seeing Ayr not winning the league to be honest. My memory of the last game of the season at home to Arbroath is a bit fuzzy after starting on the sauce at some stupid hour. I vaguely remember we all went to Styx which was heaving with Rovers fans and that the game was in doubt. Think if that wasn't the last game and/or the game where we were getting the cup then it would have been postponed. Can remember big Marv trying like a bear to score that day but wasn't to be. Great atmosphere in the ground and the celebrations in the town after were quality. Whatever the place next to Kittys was at the time was where we ended up. Singing and dancing on the tables, some of the players turned up and I ended up losing my favourite scarf after giving it away to Kevin Smith.

Good times.

But yeah, Jason Thomson...good news. New striker as well please.