The New Raith Rovers Thread

These clubs havent really had to go through what we did in the 90's/early 00's though did they? And they either benefit from wealthy backers (County) or exceptional sales of talented players (Hamilton)

The flip side is that Falkirk have been in this league almost as long as us whilst achieving very little also - a team whose resources and attendances outweigh ours. Also we've really done no worse than the "similar" sized teams of Queens, Morton and you could argue Livi.

Also remember where we were 10 years ago and where these other clubs were. Im pretty happy with what we have done tbh.

As for Mckinnon - he's making progress. He hasnt completely transformed the entire club - but he also has only been here 6 months or so. Whilst our overall style of play and goals for tally is pretty similar, he has sorted out a leaky defence to quite a solid unit.

Added to that he has completely turned round the fortunes of Cuthbert and Mckinnon (although he had shown some sings of improvement)

He's already building for next season and we have some talented youths in the squad who he is keen to give the chance to - lets just see how we get on with him.

I completely agree with you just saying trying to explain why some fans may think differently.

This season was always going to be a bedding in one and a 4th place finish would be great. It's always difficult when a new manager comes in during the summer and hasn't had as long to think about squad building. So long as we have a decent finish to the season build a solid base for next season then I'll be happy.

Not quite, before saturday we have the ongoing drama of the out and out striker to sort.

If we don't sign a striker, folk will go radge about signing Longridge and Connolly and letting Megginson go (he'll become one of those guys who get's better with every passing day he's not at the club). Folk will round on McKinnon for a poor signing policy at which point everyone will pile in with how every player he's signed is the worst ever, we're going nowhere and how mcKinnon is out of his depth.

Alternatively we do sign a striker, in which case he'll be googled, his scoring record dissected and he'll be sniffed at for not looking like that '20 goal a season striker' we all thought we'd been promised. Folk will round on McKinnon for a poor signing policy at which point everyone will pile in with how every player he's signed is the worst ever, we're going nowhere and how mcKinnon is out of his depth.

Even if we win 3 or 4 nil on Saturday some folk on here will find a reason to round on McKinnon.

I completely agree with you just saying trying to explain why some fans may think differently.

This season was always going to be a bedding in one and a 4th place finish would be great. It's always difficult when a new manager comes in during the summer and hasn't had as long to think about squad building. So long as we have a decent finish to the season build a solid base for next season then I'll be happy.

^^^^

Enough of this common sense talk, already!! Totally agree.

Considering there's only a few days til the window closes I'd suspect we'll sign this guy regardless to appease our moaning faced hoorbag of a support.

In which case, see option 2 of my above post: They'll end up moaning regardless.

Edited by renton

I disagree.... Look at the likes of Ross county, Inverness and Hamilton.... They don't have a huge fan base but that doesn't stop them reaching the top flight

Lewis has his final checks two weeks on Friday and is hoping to be back in first team training on the week of the 15th. He was back with the 1st team over the last couple weeks and is chomping at the bit!

What was it he injured?

Next season will be extremely tough again whatever happens. Potentially losing Alloa, or Livingston and replacing them with Dunfermline and possibly Ayr will make next seasons Championship even more, shall we say demanding for us to push into that bracket of Top four side with a chance at the title. Or depending on how it goes see us scrapping out relegation.

Potentially:-

Kilmarnock

Dundee Utd

Falkirk

Raith

Queen of the South

Morton

Dumbarton

St Mirren

Dunfermline

Ayr

That's a pretty tight division I reckon at the top end of the table, you'd think that Dundee Utd would run away with things with Dumbarton and Ayr battling it out at the bottom, Kilmarnock, Falkirk and St Mirren would probably expect a playoff spot, Dunfermline would be wanting and expecting to at least challenge for fourth, likewise Queen of the South, Morton and Raith...

Not quite, before saturday we have the ongoing drama of the out and out striker to sort.

If we don't sign a striker, folk will go radge about signing Longridge and Connolly and letting Megginson go (he'll become one of those guys who get's better with every passing day he's not at the club). Folk will round on McKinnon for a poor signing policy at which point everyone will pile in with how every player he's signed is the worst ever, we're going nowhere and how mcKinnon is out of his depth.

Alternatively we do sign a striker, in which case he'll be googled, his scoring record dissected and he'll be sniffed at for not looking like that '20 goal a season striker' we all thought we'd been promised. Folk will round on McKinnon for a poor signing policy at which point everyone will pile in with how every player he's signed is the worst ever, we're going nowhere and how mcKinnon is out of his depth.

You've summed it up perfectly. Meanwhile, no doubt people sit lamenting the loss of Greig Spence who wasn't scoring at this level but is at the level before. Some of our fans are utter knobheads.

McKinnon has made an arse of the striker situation whatever way you look at it. You can argue he was unlucky to lose Vaughan, but injuries happen in football and our hand was forced when he got injured. We started the season short, and the two players McKinnon signed didn't offer enough. Now they're gone and we have Mark Stewart alone, with the two players signing not being strikers.

Now, we have the situation where we're desperate and more or less out of options. There is no easy answer here, but poor signings in the forward department coupled with poor planning have got us here.

As far as Megginson goes, good luck to him. It hasn't worked out as we hoped and I unfortunately don't think he will be much of a loss. Seems as though McKinnon viewed him as a striker when he signed him rather than as a winger, but his lack of starts (especially lately) is telling. Maybe another case of an early injury ruining things.

Edited by Michael W

Considering there's only a few days til the window closes I'd suspect we'll sign this guy regardless to appease our moaning faced hoorbag of a support.

Does the window really apply to us? You can sign free agents at any point up until the end of March (I think) and you can also sign loan players in that time frame too. Entirely conceivable McKinnon could not bother with the two players currently on trial if they're not good enough - and so he should as well, in fairness.

Another who isn't convinced Longridge is better than Megginson, but Megginson didn't contribute much aside from winning a penalty late on at Morton and a clinching goal in a 3-0 rout. Longridge has enough time to surpass that but he'll need to play better than Saturday, when he ballooned the ball over the bar from a narrow angle with three or players in the box I was livid. I'd be looking to start Anderson, Connolly and Craigen behind Stewart on Saturday with Longridge coming off the bench.

Sign a foreigner McKinnon and save the day. By the time we find out he's pish Vaughan will be back and we can boo him for not returning ten times better than ever.

It's no exaggeration to say that McKinnon has had months to try and come up with a solution to our problems in the forward department. The fact that we are in the last week of January and staking all our hopes on a random Scandinavian youngster does not reflect well on him.

Wighton and Daly were 2 experienced players at this level who on paper should of done the business. If one of them had hit even a few more goals then we would be sitting with a gap in 4th.

As it is McKinnon has to make sure the player he brings in is A - composed in front of goal, B - cheap enough to sign and keep hold of, C - not on the radar of other clubs that could be a better option. With those things in mind I really don't envy McKinnon just now. That said Connolly looks like he could be a good bit of business.