The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just watched Cove highlights.  Callachan ripping my knitting 3 days and umpteen miles after the event.  I don't buy all this "makes himself available" rubbish - unless it's to say he makes himself available to concede possession or waste a move with a woeful, wayward "shot" from distance.  Couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo.  Will test my patience again this season I'm sure.

Just watched Cove highlights.  Callachan ripping my knitting 3 days and umpteen miles after the event.  I don't buy all this "makes himself available" rubbish - unless it's to say he makes himself available to concede possession or waste a move with a woeful, wayward "shot" from distance.  Couldn't hit a coo's arse with a banjo.  Will test my patience again this season I'm sure.

It's all fine and well to say you don't buy it, but it's categorically true. Next time he plays in midfield with Davidson or Robertson, watch how many more times he takes the ball from a full back or a centre half, specifically when there's a man close to him. Doesn't hide, doesn't let the game pass him by so makes more mistakes. At this level it happens.

What Hank Scorpio says. Callachan is a good player at this level which tends to be shown when away fans make comment on the Rovers players that impress them. When you think back to some of the midfielders we've had in the last 20 odd years, the criticism he gets is ridiculous.

As far as I'm aware the management team rate him as well so he'll be ripping knitting right left and centre this year.

When he does leave us I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go to a Premiership club or down south.

Remember that he plays essentially every week as well. You really think he's going out there week on week, repeatedly doing the same "awful" things, yet staying in the side almost all season? He's obviously given instructions on what to do by the manager, and he's clearly following them well enough to warrant his selection. It pays to remember that what you see, as a fan, is 90 mins worth on a Saturday afternoon. What happens then is a product of a whole period of training geared towards that 90 minutes, so he obviously does well enough in the eyes of those that matter.

Given that our options in central midfield are not those comprising the most adventurous of players, it is inevitable that Callachan will take a bit of stick when he tries to show initiative in the middle rather than pass the buck with a predictable pass.  The creative role is exactly what I hoped Scott Robertson would carry out, although he disappointed last season and is now injured. 

If our wingers have a poor game, we will struggle for creativity next season and will become bogged down in the middle. Callachan is not particularly what I'd view as an attacking midfielder, but it's a role he will have to carry out depending on who he is paired with. This is always going to be slightly problematic. 

36 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

I don't buy that argument either. If I was playing for the Rovers I'd give 100% and make myself available too. It doesn't mean I should get a game though because I'd be mince. 

This

22 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Remember that he plays essentially every week as well. You really think he's going out there week on week, repeatedly doing the same "awful" things, yet staying in the side almost all season? He's obviously given instructions on what to do by the manager, and he's clearly following them well enough to warrant his selection. It pays to remember that what you see, as a fan, is 90 mins worth on a Saturday afternoon. What happens then is a product of a whole period of training geared towards that 90 minutes, so he obviously does well enough in the eyes of those that matter.

I think he's there every week because we have few, if any, better options. That doesn't make him a great player. I get that he actually DOES make himself available, but that's not enough. It's what you do with it next that counts more, and in my opinion, what he does next isn't good enough often enough. I will of course give him benefit of the doubt in these early days - get behind the team and all that - but his shooting is invariably pish, he's caught too often and concedes possession too often. Apart from that, I like him. I'll happily come back here and praise him, first good game he has.

9 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

With Shankland and Walsh signing on at St Mirren and Higginbotham signing on at the Pars, we really do need Hardie now and Skacel as well or I fear we'll be left behind.

This season isn't really going to be about competing with the likes of St Mirren, it's more about making sure we stay ahead of the likes of Ayr, Dumbarton, Queen of the South and Morton.

The reason he plays every week, is because we don't have any other attack minded midfield players to stick in there. Can't play Davo with Matthews - too defensive. Can't play Barr with Matthews - Too defensive. Possibly could move Coustrain in there actually. He can play on the inside as well as on the wing. But I reckon that's where Skacel will be playing anyway when/if he signs on. But until Roberston comes back, Callachan is pretty much guaranteed a game every week.

I think he's there every week because we have few, if any, better options. That doesn't make him a great player. I get that he actually DOES make himself available, but that's not enough. It's what you do with it next that counts more, and in my opinion, what he does next isn't good enough often enough. I will of course give him benefit of the doubt in these early days - get behind the team and all that - but his shooting is invariably pish, he's caught too often and concedes possession too often. Apart from that, I like him. I'll happily come back here and praise him, first good game he has.

Couldn't agree more! No point being there to get it if your going to do nothing with it. Anybody who thinks seriously beats a man are the ones who need to watch him as an individual because he's rank. Im not saying we have better options, hes the best out a bad bunch.

Out of all the transfer talk, ive read that we need strikers, a back up winger and cover for McHattie but we seriously need to replace Craigen. Im happy with the likes of Matthews to replace Toshney, Scott Brown would back that up. But which CM is going to get us approx 10 goals???

This season isn't really going to be about competing with the likes of St Mirren, it's more about making sure we stay ahead of the likes of Ayr, Dumbarton, Queen of the South and Morton.

After last season, I'd be disappointed if that's our ambitions. If we sign Hardie and Skacel, then I would argue that our squad is up there with St Mirrens and Dunfermlines..

Highly doubt we will get Hardie.  If St Mirren are interested, he will go there. 

I highly doubt they're still interested, that Shanklands due to be announced soon.

Shankland, Sutton, Clarkson and Gallagher...his game time could be pretty limited there..

Also how many U21 loans have they got? Shankland and Walsh so far is what I'm counting, have they anymore? You're only allowed 3 a season. Would they really use the third on another striker and risk not having that option if a couple of CB's got injured or if there left back got seriously injured..?

"We want the young ones to go out and play as we did last year. The under-20s environment doesn't suit, so we want the young talents to go out on loan; the likes of Jordan Thompson, Ryan Hardie, Tom Walsh."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36808852

Seems 100% Hardie will get loaned out. Just a question of where...

If we weren't looking at Skacel, i think we'd be doing everything to get Hardie but I don't think are right now

Reading between the lines, I'm not convinced we have the money for Skacel. 

That's a big concern given I still think we're at least two players short - another striker and cover at full back is still needed IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Reading between the lines, I'm not convinced we have the money for Skacel. 

That's a big concern given I still think we're at least two players short - another striker and cover at full back is still needed IMO. 

I read it to mean we dont have money for skacel and another striker, thats why GL suggested help from outside sources with skacel.