The New Raith Rovers Thread

24 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Suppose it's a bit subjective based on harm caused and the nature of he crime etc. Obviously no-one wants a nonce at their club, but assaults seem a bit of a grey area. 

My opinions on Davidson are well known, though I'd have to say his was probably minor enough that it can be overlooked. The sheriff admonished him as well, so he can't have caused the victim too much harm (unlike Gallacher). I can forgive scuffles in clubs, but can't see anyone who assaults another with a baseball bat as anything other than a violent thug we should avoid. 

I guess ultimately it's up to the club. Much as my opinion of Gallacher is muck, that isn't a reason to completely strike him out of society all together. I would however rather that his shot at redemption was not with Raith Rovers. And yes, I do recognise that is a bit hypocritical. 

I've known some great people who've done some daft stuff when they were young, and I've employed people with criminal records. And I certainly don't believe it's in anyone's interest to write people off and not allow them to get on with their lives again. But football is not like other jobs.

Each case on its merits, depending not just on the nature and severity of the crime but also how they've behaved and responded to it since. I wouldn't have Ched Evans anywhere near the club (nor indeed David Goodwillie). Pretty sceptical on Gallacher too but don't know as much about the case.

55 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We did, hence why we saved the club.

Happy to help.

Genuine question but at what point is it OK and not ok to take a player with previous convictions? Benedictus and Davidson as mentioned have both fallen foul of the law but I presume by the lack of burning effigies they're ok, Gallagher not ok?

Don't get me wrong what Gallagher done is pretty vile but at what time can football clubs start shunning a player due to his previous?

Ironically Masterton saved your club :lol:

half decent attempt at a deflection though

Out of interest, those of you that are dead against this guy being anywhere near the club, if Gareth Bale had set about someone with a baseball bat, been kicked out of Spain and ended up training with us, would you be of the same opinion? Or is it just because Gallagher is mediocre?

If it's a three year sentence then he'd normally expect to service eighteen months of it; he's now served ten months (in two spells) - from my limited knowledge of the system it doesn't seem abnormal or unreasonable that he should be allowed day release for placements. So I'm pretty sceptical of the claim that he's getting special treatment - and by and large I'm happy to encourage such rehabilitative schemes.

There's issues over and beyond that with someone going straight back into a high-profile job on their release, though, which I imagine we'd all have some pretty serious concerns about. Anyone know in what capacity he's with us at the moment? Is he training with the squad?

It states if you believe the article is that he is at Starks park 5 days a week. So really not much difference to a person in a workplace. Sorry it doesn't cut it with me. He should be locked up for the full term and have any rehabilitation in jail by way of courses like others. Get him as far away from this club as possible. I won't be back until this is the case.

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

He didn't vote at all which roughly sums up your knowledge in this.

It wasn't even his own money he gambled with, pretty sure it was the banks. I'm not quite sure how he's not in prison.

A tight arse like him wouldn't fit in with the demographic.

9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

He didn't vote at all which roughly sums up your knowledge in this.

It wasn't even his own money he gambled with, pretty sure it was the banks. I'm not quite sure how he's not in prison.

Okay,him abstaining then was a major factor

There was jiggerypokery with the bank that's for sure and agree,the cnut  should have been jailed

11 hours ago, foreverarover said:

It states if you believe the article is that he is at Starks park 5 days a week. So really not much difference to a person in a workplace. Sorry it doesn't cut it with me. He should be locked up for the full term and have any rehabilitation in jail by way of courses like others. Get him as far away from this club as possible. I won't be back until this is the case.

I'd actually look at the situation more kindly if he was doing work about the place. ie painting, cleaning or cutting the grass or something. If he is actually training with the first team squad then its the fact that he seems to be allowed to go straight back into the job he had before as if hee haw has happened. The serious lack of remorse on his part also makes it much harder to accept. Yes we all make mistakes but when we do we should be starting off again at the bottom and working our way back up over time and not just starting where we left off previously in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd actually look at the situation more kindly if he was doing work about the place. ie painting, cleaning or cutting the grass or something. If he is actually training with the first team squad then its the fact that he seems to be allowed to go straight back into the job he had before as if hee haw has happened. The serious lack of remorse on his part also makes it much harder to accept. Yes we all make mistakes but when we do we should be starting off again at the bottom and working our way back up over time and not just starting where we left off previously in my opinion.

Why shouldn't he be allowed to go straight back in to the job he had before where his expertise lies?

Should everyone who has previous be banned from earning a living doing what they do best?

Why shouldn't he be allowed to go straight back in to the job he had before where his expertise lies?

Should everyone who has previous be banned from earning a living doing what they do best?

Tend to agree. The justice system has decided this is okay. Whether you think that's right or wrong, that's been their decision.

Personally, if I'd been the recipient of the baseball bat attack, that did some pretty serious damage, I'd be fucking raging that he was being let out after 7 months of a 3 year sentence. I'd probably be writing to my elected representatives and contacting the newspapers too. I think the justice system in Scotland is a load of shite.

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

In most cases I very much doubt I'd be able to get back to doing something exactly the same as I was doing at the same level before after finishing a prison stretch. Should we say its okay if your in the police or a lawyer, doctor etc to be able to do something like that and then just get your old job back.  Most individuals would find it a lot more difficult to get employment and that is part of the punishment for behaving like an arsehole.