The New Raith Rovers Thread

Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered if we saw the back of Thompson, or more in particular, Scott Roberts. Roberts hasn't added anything other than one peach of a goal. Thompson hasn't added much either other than a peach against Dundee United. I'd rather we shipped them both back and brought back Hardie. I'd say Thompson is more likely given that in midfield we'll potentially have Callachan, Matthews, Davidson and even Robertson in there when he returns. 

Actually, I'd be delighted if David Bates came back too. Sadly he won't be back soon enough given we could use cover with Bene being suspended and frankly, I wouldn't trust Davo through the middle. 

Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered if we saw the back of Thompson, or more in particular, Scott Roberts. Roberts hasn't added anything other than one peach of a goal. Thompson hasn't added much either other than a peach against Dundee United. I'd rather we shipped them both back and brought back Hardie. I'd say Thompson is more likely given that in midfield we'll potentially have Callachan, Matthews, Davidson and even Robertson in there when he returns. 

Actually, I'd be delighted if David Bates came back too. Sadly he won't be back soon enough given we could use cover with Bene being suspended and frankly, I wouldn't trust Davo through the middle. 

:lol: Thompson hasn't added much? He is by far our best CM. Callachan needs dropped and at the minute, I'd happily drive him to another club. Matthews is too defensive. Davo is useless in the middle of the Park. Robertson I could see him improving our midfield this year which is an insult to the other 3 but Thompson has been one of our best players this year IMO.

Only Bobby Barr, Bene, Mchattie and Cuthbert would come ahead of Thompson IMO.

I know I'm what could probably be described as a Callachan fan boy but it speaks volumes that John McGlynn rated him, Grant Murray rated him, Ray McKinnon rated him, Gary Locke rates him, all the other managers make constant comments about him being a very good player, several other clubs have tried to sign him in the past few seasons but our fans don't like him so he must be shite.

I know I'm what could probably be described as a Callachan fan boy but it speaks volumes that John McGlynn rated him, Grant Murray rated him, Ray McKinnon rated him, Gary Locke rates him, all the other managers make constant comments about him being a very good player, several other clubs have tried to sign him in the past few seasons but our fans don't like him so he must be shite.

I never said he was shite. I also never said I didn't rate him.

The complete opposite actually.

Along with Vaughan, they 2 have the potential to go really far in the game. Both players have really went off e boil recently, and with both coming from the youth set-up, they are gonna get more stick than the journeymen that come and go, understandably.

Like I said though, in his current form, I'd happily drive him to another club. I still stand by that. I am not one of the fans who do nothing but yell from the stands at him for every stray pass though. I don't see the point in that as it will do nothing good for his confidence

Which other clubs tried to sign him?  All I can remember was talk of an informal enquiry from Ross County? I think? a couple of years ago.      

I get frustrated that every now and then he plays a 90mins in which he looks every bit the complete midfield player yet more often than not he struggles, making the simple look difficult at times. He is old enough and has enough 1st team experience that the good old 'still young, still learning the trade' suggestions are almost non feasible. 

I like him and I can see his qualities, more so when he plays well, but he can be a frustrating player to watch.

At East End Park his through pass that Stewart ran on to only to be flagged offside (I didn't think Stewart was offside) was excellent. Unfortunately in the same game, our best chances fell to Callachan and his attempts at finishing those chances were poor. His finishing in general isn't great. However, he did get himself in positions to have those chances.

Back to passing, and some games he seems to have trouble finding a teammate with a pass. However, everyone has bad games. There seems to be a player in there and others can see this too, but it remains to be seen whether he'll kick on and become that player, or just be a reasonably good Championship midfielder.

The reason Callachan pisses me off is the fact he seems undroppable for some unexplained reason, can't remember the last time he didn't start or even subbed despite some suspect performance. Appreciate he doesn't pick the team but I still don't know what his role in the team actually is.

The reason Callachan pisses me off is the fact he seems undroppable for some unexplained reason, can't remember the last time he didn't start or even subbed despite some suspect performance. Appreciate he doesn't pick the team but I still don't know what his role in the team actually is.

Have you ever considered that he's not being dropped or subbed because he's doing exactly as is asked of him every week? Just because you don't know what he's supposed to be doing doesn't mean he's not doing it.

Have you ever considered that he's not being dropped or subbed because he's doing exactly as is asked of him every week? Just because you don't know what he's supposed to be doing doesn't mean he's not doing it.

So you're saying his awful performances week after week, is entirely Gary Lockes fault?

He's obviously been told to make sure that he finishes each game with less than 50% pass completion rate..?

So you're saying his awful performances week after week, is entirely Gary Lockes fault?

He's obviously been told to make sure that he finishes each game with less than 50% pass completion rate..?

Let's not be silly.

Do you honestly think Gary Locke and Darren Jackson are standing on the sidelines week after week thinking, "Callachan is having a nightmare again, better keep him on and play him next week as well"? To be continually picked at Championship level you need to be fulfilling the designated role within the team given to you by your manager.

Neither of us know what that specific role is, but he clearly does enough in the eyes of the current management team, and the four before them, to nail down a starting place in our team.

Let's not be silly.

Do you honestly think Gary Locke and Darren Jackson are standing on the sidelines week after week thinking, "Callachan is having a nightmare again, better keep him on and play him next week as well"? To be continually picked at Championship level you need to be fulfilling the designated role within the team given to you by your manager.

Neither of us know what that specific role is, but he clearly does enough in the eyes of the current management team, and the four before them, to nail down a starting place in our team.

Shall we ask a Killie fan or a Hearts fan if Gary Locke has a habit of playing the same players regardless of form?

What you are practically saying is that because he continues to be picked, he should be exempt from abuse? That he's clearly doing a decent job out there. If Wighton was playing the same last year as Callachan this year, would you be saying the same? Would you f*ck..

Ray McKinnon kept picking Craig Wighton and Jon Daly last season

Grant Murray kept playing Martin Scott and Liam fox.

Therefore to suggest that because McKinnon and Murray rated Callachan, he's clearly doing something right, is ridiculous :lol: . As McKinnon rated Jon Daly extremely highly during his time with us, even towards the end of his time with us going by the interviews.

Callahan has been poor in most games I've seen him this season, on form he is one of our better midfielders so I'd suggest he's been kept in the team in the hope his form picks up rather than his current performances. 

Callachan has been decent enough. Id be having a go at Mchattie (awful distribution) , McManus (not good enough) , Roberts (literally does nothing) and Vaughn (although he hasn't featured of late, is well off the pace) before Callachan. His shooting is absolutely shit though. He never hides though and always looks for the ball. Give me that over shite like Liam Fox any day.

Callachan gets to much unfair stick on here. Thought he has done fine is most games this season only time I thought he Had a really bad game was the Dumbarton game. Every player gives the ball away at times this level. For me id have Callaghan and Thomson in the middle if I was picking the team.