The New Raith Rovers Thread

You won't find me disagreeing that we've been utter horse shit for weeks now, the football has been brutal at times. But it would be daft to underestimate just how much we miss Thomson, his return will undoubtedly make a difference.

As you say Calderon, Locke appears to have the same stubborn streak Murray had, it's been obvious for weeks now that McManus needs dropped, f**k knows what Locke is seeing to continually pick a man who's confidence is clearly low.

Re our issues up front, I think it's been mentioned elsewhere, somebody at the club should be on the blower to ibrox enquiring about Hardie, he enjoyed his time with us and would hopefully be agreeable to a return.

I genuinely believe that our squad, when fit and on form, are a top four squad. But then again, I'm just one of those annoyingly optimistic b*****ds, so WTF do I know?

Pretty much this.
I don't buy the injury situation reason that people trot out. Locke has been able to bring in plenty players. The fact he chose to bring in absolutely zero in the way of full back cover is his fault.
And why did any money at all go to signing the guy Crawford if...
a. We don't use him, when players in his position are not performing week in week out.
b. Cash flow is an issue
c. We need strengthening more in other areas.
We are in a decent position still. But we have seen how easy it is for established clubs at this level to fall down a bit. And frankly, with the teams below us getting a wee boost of late....id be inclined to keep an eye down the table rather than up.
Stubbornness was one of the things that lead to Murrays down fall,its vital we address things sooner than later. As right now, I have no idea where our next goal,let alone points, will come from.

I actually completely forgot Robbie Crawford existed. It's got to be Barr and Joel on the wings from here on in. Roberts needs punted back to Ibrox, ideally with us taking David Bates back again.

I actually completely forgot Robbie Crawford existed. It's got to be Barr and Joel on the wings from here on in. Roberts needs punted back to Ibrox, ideally with us taking David Bates back again.

Why did we sign Crawford if we're not going to play him?

McManus has started every game (18 to date) since he arrived at Stark's, so it's unlikely he'll be dropped next week. Equally annoying is that Vaughan started all the early games including wins against Ayr, St Mirren and Dunfermline and the draw at Tannadice but hasn't had a start since the 3-2 defeat away to Forfar in early September.

The midfield against United will be Matthews, Callachan, Thompson and Barr and the front 2 will be Stewart and McManus. We won't score because we won't have a single shot at goal. Put your money on it.

Thomson being injured is a big blow but Locke can't use it - he chose to come into the season with no full-back cover on either side. He did well to get Liam Smith in for nothing for a few weeks but clearly budget was there for a player and he's signed Crawford, who hasn't made a single appearance. Priorities, Gary.

The manager rightly took credit at the start of the season and equally deserves to be slated now.

For next Saturday, I hope he remembers he tried 4-4-2 for half an hour at Tannadice and we were being leathered, but honestly I have no faith it won't be the usual 4-4-2 with Benedictus coming in for Roberts. We've no right to expect a result but some sort of change or new idea would be very welcome.

PS McManus always plays 90 minutes as there's nobody else to punt the ball at from defence - see Locke's lusting after a 'big centre forward' a few weeks back.

I can only assume we've got Crawford in for very cheap so Locke can get a good look at him for next season, or as a longer term replacement for Thompson who is, I think, only here til January. Means he'll be properly fit and ready to go into the first team right away. If Locke deems him good enough then you'd guess he'll extend Crawford's contract til the end of the season.

Locke needs to get on his knees to Warburton for hardie in January, the same has surely been given to locke that he keeps playing Roberts when he is less than useless.
We need someone who can put the ball in the net desperately, mcmanus is a rich man's graeme weir! All effort no end product.

Great to see Bobby back yesterday, we have missed him terribly.

Anyone else noticed davo seems to go down with a head knock at least once a game?

Does anyone know what the Script is with the boy we signed that was released by Rangers, maybe Crawford his name is? Why is he not getting a game? Has he been playing for the Dev' team? I really like Matthews but he's poison at RB, and I've finally had enough of Callaghan in the centre midfield, he's been a passenger for far to long now, he's needing dropped, he shied away from everyone against St Mirren on Saturday there. Would like to see Coustrain get some game time against Utd on Saturday, he was decent against Ayr (was it that game he played, canny mind?).

21 hours ago, Martin Nelson said:

McManus seems to be in the same category as Robertson was last season in that because his wages are being funded externally we seem to be duty bound to play him each week regardless of whether or not he is actually any good.

Well you'd think that. But then again is the guy who's funding Skacel going to be happy seeing his/her signing scratching his arse on the bench? 

From today's Courier:

Raith boss Gary Locke is hoping to welcome club captain Jason Thomson back to training today. The 29-year-old full-back has not played since turning out against Falkirk back on September 10. His long lay-off has been caused by a condition called tendinopathy, an inflammation of the tendon below the knee. The problem could not be cured by surgery with the club paying for Thomson to have shock wave therapy, a relatively-new treatment.

Now, there is some light at the end of the tunnel for the player and his manager who has admitted in the past just how important Thomson is to the team.

Locke said: “Jason Thomson is going to start training with the boys after a wee bit of running with the physio.

It will be good to have him back.”

Fingers crossed for him.

Locke saying in today's Courier that he is already in talks with The Rangers about extending the loans of Roberts and Thompson.

If Locke extends the loan of Roberts I would have to question why. Even if he wasn't costing us a penny.

Locke saying in today's Courier that he is already in talks with The Rangers about extending the loans of Roberts and Thompson.

If that's the case, we won't be signing Hardie in January as we'll already have our 3 development loans that we're allowed with McManus, Roberts and Thompson.. send Roberts back, keep Thompson and bring Hardie back. It's clear for all to see that this needs to happen.

I rate Thompson, I think he's good at breaking up play then moving the ball forward but I've no idea what Scott Roberts brings to the table. If we renew both loans and injury situation isn't critical we could be left with 6/7 centre midfielders and 3 similar strikers, like said earlier in thread I'd thank Roberts for the effort then bring Hardie back, if he's quite happy to stay at rangers then opt for a 6ft 8 monster to lump the ball to.