The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yes our top striker with 4 league goals this season. The prolific striker to help queens. I thought it was the 1st April.

How many goals have our other strikers got this season? McManus on 3 league goals, Vaughan on 0 league goals and Skacel on 0 league goals. So yes, Stewart is our best forward, so what's your problem with Rw89's post?

How much goals have our other strikers got this season? McManus on 3 league goals, Vaughan on 0 league goals and Skacel on 0 league goals. So yes, Stewart is our best forward, so what's your problem with Rw89's post?

It's probably even more convincing when you look at minutes per goal seen as McManus is exempt from being dropped or subbed.

Would be a weird one if Stewart was to leave for QOS, it's not as if he's not getting game time with us and going to QOS isn't exactly going to further his career imo. Us and QOS are about as close as you can get to two teams probably paying similar wages, playing in front of similar sized crowds and performing not exactly overly better or worse than each other these days. I'd also highly doubt QOS would pay money for him but that's not to say he's not signed a pre-contract or something along those lines. 

Would be a weird one if Stewart was to leave for QOS, it's not as if he's not getting game time with us and going to QOS isn't exactly going to further his career imo. Us and QOS are about as close as you can get to two teams probably paying similar wages, playing in front of similar sized crowds and performing not exactly overly better or worse than each other these days. I'd also highly doubt QOS would pay money for him but that's not to say he's not signed a pre-contract or something along those lines. 

John Baird?

Would be very disappointed if Stewart left, which is more of a reflection on our goalscoring ability than anything else. He's a solid 10-15 a season man if he's fit. Not ground-breaking by any means but also easily underrated. 

On a similar theme, with January coming up, what is everyone's wish for the window? Locke has indicated a desire for new players, including a 'big striker' which will see our transformation into Scottish football's cliche outfit complete. As far as I am aware, the following players are out of contract:

• Jordan Thompson (Loan)
  • Scott Roberts (Loan)
  • Connor Brennan
  • Robbie Crawford

Out of those I'd only be looking to keep Jordan Thompson who is a good all round midfield player. Brennan is OK but was an emergency signing with Aaron Lennox now fit and signed until the end of the season. Crawford was signed in November and hasn't played a minute, nor as far as I can see is he likely to with Thomson returning soon, freeing Davidson from the RB spot, and maybe Scott Robertson eventually as well. Only way I'd consider keeping him is if we don't keep Jordan Thompson. And Scott Roberts? It's pretty clear he's not good enough for this level. Clyde awaits next year. Inexplicably Locke wants to keep him.

In addition I'd consider Declan McManus' loan deal, his overall play can be decent (he was quite good at times on Saturday I felt) but he just doesn't score goals. Jon Daly was roundly mocked last season for scoring twice in fifteen league appearances - McManus currently has three from sixteen (vast majority are 90 minutes as well, something Daly didn't always have). I'd only consider the deal if we had a viable alternative as I do think he has something to offer, but goals clearly are not his forte.

Happy with the defence, especially with Thomson/Barr returning, happy with the options in the middle of the park and out wide (Barr, Johnston, Coustrain) but up front we need something different - it may even exist in the form of Vaughan but Locke can't see past McManus. 

24 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

John Baird?

Good point, forgot about that situation. I firmly believe if we had offered him a 2 year deal, which was apparently a big factor in him deciding to leave as QOS offered him exactly that, that he'd have stayed with us. 

Whilst I don't disagree Mark Stewart is our best striker currently, that says more about how poor our other strikers have been rather than how good he is.

If he is still viewed as our best striker at the end of the season, I think it's a safe bet we won't have made the play offs.

22 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Nah it was Alert Mongoose, Dundee United fan, who mentioned him and Nicky Low from Dundee to Queens.

And who is now laughing his socks off somewhere that he now has two clubs threads discussing it seriously when he just plucked it out of thin air. Fair play to him, top quality fishing.

15 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

To be Fair, all I've said is, it shouldn't be believed as it was Mongoose who claimed it again..

Indeed. I know you did. But never the less in both your thread and ours it's managed to spark discussion and debate about the player when he's just plucked a name out of thin air. :lol:

Indeed. I know you did. But never the less in both your thread and ours it's managed to spark discussion and debate about the player when he's just plucked a name out of thin air. :lol:

:lol: Fair enough. Just popped into the United thread there and he even got all the United fans excited about the prospect of Liam Boyce joining them in January :lol: currently the best striker in Scotland at the minute joining United, and he got them all talking about it :lol:

Just now, Raith25 said:

IMG_1482240923.624462.jpg
Fingers crossed

Was very good for us last year, but not exactly setting the heather alight for St Mirren this year - albeit none of our strikers are for us just now, either. Wonder who'd be getting moved out on loan etc. to make room?

Was very good for us last year, but not exactly setting the heather alight for St Mirren this year - albeit none of our strikers are for us just now, either. Wonder who'd be getting moved out on loan etc. to make room?

I think despite what Locke is saying I think Roberts will get sent back. Thomson coming back frees up Davo into the midfield, Barr shouldn't be far behind him so we don't really need another centre midfielder.