The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Stevo Fife said:

Not sour grapes in the slightest but if i were a Rovers fanboy I would have been hoping to bring in someone with a bit more clout to their CV.

Personally, I think you'll struggle under Smith and the 1st Division wont be as easy to walk as you might think? Bigger budget? Undoubtedly but I wouldn't have thought you'd have money to burn under the current circumstances with a drop down a league and dwindling crowds.

I'd like to have seen Smith staying because I felt he was on to something at East Fife and not because he appeared to be a brilliant manager which he clearly isn't.

That said, I don't blame him for making the move. It's full time football after all and the man needs to earn a crust.

What I do dislike is the fact the ink is barely dry on a 2 year deal at Bayview assisted by the fact he's jumped ship to join our local (and in my eyes, biggest) rival.

f**k the little c**t and I sincerely hope he fails miserably.

Away and play with yer tamagotchi :lol:

Guess he'll be speaking to the out of contract players over the coming days. One player I'm really worried about is Davidson. He epitomises everything that was rotten about us last year; his legs are gone, he can't pass a ball and his attitude absolutely stinks both with the fans and the officials. It seemed that nearly every game he started last season we lost. And yet, because Smith and Davidson were together at Dundee Smith might see him as a decent player at this level.
Not offering Davidson a new contract will tell us an awful lot about our new manager. I just hope that no contract is forthcoming and that Iain Davidson just fades away.

Of the pitifully few games we won last season, Davidson started most of them. He started in the wins over Ayr, Morton, St Mirren, QoS, Falkirk and Dumbarton. So only missed the win over Dundee United. Read it and weep, only 7 wins from September until May.

I'm not fussed if we keep him or not, but I think he's a scapegoat for shite performances.

1 hour ago, renton said:

We know.

1 hour ago, Ancient Mariner said:

thanks for letting us know 

The interview I have done with Barry Smith is separate to all the other interviews today as I covered the Press Conference for KingdomFM. It may be similar content but I thought I would share my article for anyone who may be interested. 

Davidson might end up as player/assistant mngr.

Steady on now! I'd imagine Easton could have a bigger role within the coaching staff and to speculate who he was meaning regarding player/assistant manager or coach would really be guesswork. A huge positive for us is his experience and connections within the game. There's bound to be plenty of guys he could call on for a gig with us.

Davidson might end up as player/assistant mngr.

That would be truly terrible. He's never come across as 'manager material', in fact the opposite. He can't have any coaching badges either.

The interview I have done with Barry Smith is separate to all the other interviews today as I covered the Press Conference for KingdomFM. It may be similar content but I thought I would share my article for anyone who may be interested. 

Good Read bud,

Take no notice of the sarcy comments from some [emoji1417]

12 minutes ago, liam_barnett said:

That's exactly my opinion to be quite honest.

I get where you're coming from but unfortunately there are more attractive options available (or potentially available!) for these type of candidates - bigger budgets, wages and clubs at Championship / Premier level. 

I cant say I was hugely excited with any of the names we were supposedly linked with, but Smith seems like a better option than some of the names we heard. At least we can move on from all the new manager speculation and start the new signing speculation.... what's Gary Glen up to these days?

If Robertson is back to full fitness how about him as assistant?

we can't afford to spunk out money and that would give us a player coach and allow CE more freedom to bring on the kids.

That's exactly my opinion to be quite honest.

So would every Rovers fan, ultimately. However, considering where we are, and how attractive a proposition we are, there aren't too many better options off the top of my head.

The appointment of Smith may seem uninspiring, his post-game interviews are a bit staid, and his managerial record is, well, mixed, but his spells at Dundee and East Fife are at least encouraging.

He's probably seen as a safe pair of hands, and lets face it, that's probably a good thing considering the bizarre goings on we've had since last summer.

I'm not sure who the better options are that you're vaguely alluding to, and to be honest, I'm not sure you know either.

Darren Young? Maybe, and I'd have been happy if we'd taken a chance on him, but it's hardly a far better choice.

I've also heard a few times that he's thicker than my Gran's stovies, which might be nonsense, but I'd only have been happy if he'd arrived as part of a package with Billy Stark.

Dick Campbell? Gary Bollan? Danny Lennon? John McGlynn? No thanks.

We're a long way away from knowing what our squad is going to be like come August, but before the appointment, my opinion was we'd win the league, or come very close to it.

This appointment hasn't changed my mind one bit.