The New Raith Rovers Thread

25 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

A lot of fawning over a player who is essentially a slightly better then mediocre Championship forward. Would any Raith fan have batted an eyelid if he'd been loaned out to a League One side last season? Probably not.

I appreciate the way that he helped relegate Raith was a pretty hilarious turn of events but it seems to have put a lot of pressure on him to fire Raith straight back up. 

This is fair.

He had no more really than showing a lot of promise prior to being injured, and he had a poor start to the season to be honest. Loaning him out in itself wasn't an awful move, it was the fact it was a competitor.

I like Vaughan as a player and he will do well for us, but there's just a wee bit much expectation. I would class holding on to Matthews as more important.

Edited by CALDERON

This is fair.
He had no more really than showing a lot of promise prior to being injured, and he had a poor start to the season to be honest. Loaning him out in itself wasn't an awful move, it was the fact it was a competitor.
I like Vaughan as a player and he will do well for us, but there's just a wee bit much expectation. I would class holding on to Matthews as more important.

Exactly. He has shown potential but it would be interesting to read this forum if he does (and I hope he doesn't) have a bad run of form. The rose tinted glasses are always on when it comes to a player that's come through our own ranks but we really shouldn't be pinning all of our hopes on one player. I'm personally hoping for big things from Mark Stewart. Think if we can keep him, he could be an experienced player that can do some damage in League 1.

This is fair.

Agree with most of that.

He definately needed a loan move in January, every Rovers fan knew that after seeing his few performances at the start of the season. It should not have been to a team 4 points behind us in the league though. Everyone knew how that was going to turn out, apart from Locke and Drysdale.

I wouldn't say there's much more expectation on Vaughan than on Matthews though.

There will be the same pressure on every single player that pulls on the Rovers top next season.

I also don't expect Vaughan do much scoring goals as that isn't his game. He creates more chances than he scores. It'll be over to the strikers to put them away. I would also expect him to score about 10 goals in the league below just like I'd expect Callachan and Matthews to be chipping in with a few more goals in that league as well.

For me, keeping all 3 of them is just as important as the other as all 3 do have a lot of potential for making us money in the future.

Bobby Barr and Mark Stewart are journeymen who have been round the block once or twice so I would say keeping a hold of our 3 youth products is more important than 2 journeymen.

That might be just me though.

All you guys have done is greet about potentially losing Vaughan. Hardly a mention of Bobby Barr... Player of the year and a better, more experienced player than Vaughan.

Anyway, if he's staying then I hope he does the job for us.

If you could show me a post where I've been greeting about losing Vaughan, that would be great.

Your arse-wiping patter towards Bambino is pretty cringy, fwiw.

Agree with most of that.

He definately needed a loan move in January, every Rovers fan knew that after seeing his few performances at the start of the season. It should not have been to a team 4 points behind us in the league though. Everyone knew how that was going to turn out, apart from Locke and Drysdale.

I wouldn't say there's much more expectation on Vaughan than on Matthews though.

There will be the same pressure on every single player that pulls on the Rovers top next season.

I also don't expect Vaughan do much scoring goals as that isn't his game. He creates more chances than he scores. It'll be over to the strikers to put them away. I would also expect him to score about 10 goals in the league below just like I'd expect Callachan and Matthews to be chipping in with a few more goals in that league as well.

For me, keeping all 3 of them is just as important as the other as all 3 do have a lot of potential for making us money in the future.

Bobby Barr and Mark Stewart are journeymen who have been round the block once or twice so I would say keeping a hold of our 3 youth products is more important than 2 journeymen.

That might be just me though.

This is fair.

Agreed. It's been trotted out since it happened, but Vaughan's performances after his return from injury were poor and he was badly needing game time which he just wasn't going to get under Locke. Loaning him out was absolutely the right thing to do. It was the destination of the loan that everyone has an issue with, a decision that ultimately relegated us.

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

All you guys have done is greet about potentially losing Vaughan. Hardly a mention of Bobby Barr... Player of the year and a better, more experienced player than Vaughan.

Anyway, if he's staying then I hope he does the job for us.

Oh aye right enough Vaughan has only scored 9 times where as Barr has such a great scoring record and sets up goals left, right and centre... Player of the year??? That is a ridiculous shout. Never seen him put in a half decent performance post September and he seems to have a stinking attitude. Personally I would get him to f**k. 

As much as I'd agree that Vaughan wasn't particularly great by and large at the start of the season, he was particularly good up at Dingwall in the League Cup, so he wasn't constantly poor.

Also, I'd disagree that he *had* to go out on loan in January. What should have happened, is that he should have started more games for us, then we wouldn't have been in this mess, or division.

4 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

9 goals in just 22 starts though, which is a fairly reasonable record. We hold him in high regard because he's performed really well for us in the past. Seems pretty straightforward.

He played 2 full games and was subbed on the hour in another and scored 4 goals for the Development side back in Oct/Sept.

11 hours ago, Enigma said:

Being careful not to upset certain Vaughn groupies I can sympathise with Hans' view on Vaughn. His loan was such an unbelievably stupid move on our board's part but, it's a classic case of absence makes the heart grow stronger.

In his time at Dumbarton his reputation and ability in the minds of rovers fans has snowballed somewhat. It reminds me of when Steven Fletcher wasn't getting called up to the the Scotland squad by Levein. Members of the tartan army built him up to be something he wasn't. He doesn't even get in the squad with a manger who doesn't bare a grudge these days.

I think there is going to a lot of pressure on Vaughn to get goals next season, hit the ground running. His record, albeit at a higher level, doesn't indicate he's going to be that 25 goals a season players and, yes, I realise there is more to his game than goals but I think the argument still holds up.

This isn't really me having a go at Vaughn, I rate him highly, but he's got a lot to live up to this coming season.

he will be playing for a championship club next season, so no need to worry on his form with Rovers

I do think we have built Lewis up a bit much in our minds aswell due to his absence last season, he looked great when he first broke into the team but then understandably struggled after injury and a loan was definitely needed (just not too our relegation rivals) that said he should be comfortably one of the best forwards in league one next year and will have a big part in our promotion hopefully. 

he will be playing for a championship club next season, so no need to worry on his form with Rovers

Yeah, wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's not here next season.