The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Or Cardle has decided he'd rather retire than sign for us.

Training with Kelty Hearts apparently. 

Wonder if he prefers the sound of working on Windows or trains?... 

4 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Mitchell is providing competition at Falkirk.

Gill is first choice at Dunfermline at the minute as Murdoch is injured.

Neither would be realistic.

Robinson is first choice, I'd imagine Gill will be avaliable for loan when Murdoch returns. Yous have got Thompson though haven't you? He's an alright keeper, will be more than fine for the 3rd tier I'd assume. 

Well, it's two more warm bodies I guess.

Nisbet I guess has looked useful pre-season, but he's certainly not set the heather alight at Championship level, albeit we know that a number of strikers can look out of their depth in the 2nd tier and absolutely rip it up at our level, and it's probably unfair to hold that dreadful miss when he was at Ayr against him for ever.

Flanagan has been bumping about on loan at various places, and East Fife fans seem to like him, which is still not a huge vote of confidence as starved of footballers as they've been over the years. The 6 month deal thing is interesting: Perhaps he thinks he'll do enough to get himself an actual well paying gig, come January, or perhaps the club elected to offer 6 months in case he's absolutely dugshite.

In any event, nothing to get massively excited about, but at least we might now be able to get a team on the park for Saturday. Our record for trialists impressing at pre-season is fairly woeful, so maybe that run has to break eventually.

They've obviously done well training with us for the duration of pre season and earned themselves a contract. Fair play. Nesbit did ok for us against the Pars, and scored and played well against Partick. Can see him being a backup initially, but it does give us some depth. Given our financial position, and the fact we are languishing L1 for another season, I think we've done well attracting some decent players having got rid of a lot of dross from last season.

Flanagan one I would expect linked to the rumours that we couldn't match his wage expectations. 6 month deal gives him the ability to earn a new contract on a higher wage with us, or a bigger club if he is as good as he thinks he is, or if he is rubbish, we can get shot of him for East Fife or Dumbarton to pick him up like the do with the rest of the average players we release ;-)

Team looking decent on paper and on the park through pre season. I'd still expect a second GK (along with McHattie) to be the last signing we make - perhaps a couple of development loans in to bolster the squad, but not much else.

Edited by GhostZapper

4 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Thomson

?

Murray

Davo

Bene

McKay

Watson

Valentine

Flanagan

Milne

Gillespie

Matthews

Wedderburn

Vaughan

Berry

Stevenson

Buchanan

Nisbet

Duggan

Your list has 13 senior players, along with McKay, Watson, Valentine, Berry & Stevenson.  A month or so ago the board stated we would run with a squad of 16 supplemented by the younger guys. We'll add a keeper and, McHattie as a winger, and maybe 1 or 2 in on loan. which takes us to exactly that.

2 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Your list has 13 senior players, along with McKay, Watson, Valentine, Berry & Stevenson.  A month or so ago the board stated we would run with a squad of 16 supplemented by the younger guys. We'll add a keeper and, McHattie as a winger, and maybe 1 or 2 in on loan. which takes us to exactly that.

f**k no.

12 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

They've obviously done well training with us for the duration of pre season and earned themselves a contract. Fair play. Nesbit did ok for us against the Pars, and scored and played well against Partick. Can see him being a backup initially, but it does give us some depth. Given our financial position, and the fact we are languishing L1 for another season, I think we've done well attracting some decent players having got rid of a lot of dross from last season.

Flanagan one I would expect linked to the rumours that we couldn't match his wage expectations. 6 month deal gives him the ability to earn a new contract on a higher wage with us, or a bigger club if he is as good as he thinks he is, or if he is rubbish, we can get shot of him for East Fife or Dumbarton to pick him up like the do with the rest of the average players we release ;-)

Team looking decent on paper and on the park through pre season. I'd still expect a second GK (along with McHattie) to be the last signing we make - perhaps a couple of development loans in to bolster the squad, but not much else.

The defensive side of midfield certainly is bolstered, but Duggan, Buchanan and Nesbit don't seem likely to be taking the pressure off of Lewis Vaughan to score a shit tonne of goals any time soon. 

Just now, renton said:

The defensive side of midfield certainly is bolstered, but Duggan, Buchanan and Nesbit don't seem likely to be taking the pressure off of Lewis Vaughan to score a shit tonne of goals any time soon. 

It's not a given yet but I think we should be ok goals wise.  Duggan scored 15 for East Fife playing upfront on his own all season with no real service.  Buchanan has goals in him if we can get the right service to him and Milne should hopefully add some goals from midfield.  Fingers crossed it all works out.

4 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

It's not a given yet but I think we should be ok goals wise.  Duggan scored 15 for East Fife playing upfront on his own all season with no real service.  Buchanan has goals in him if we can get the right service to him and Milne should hopefully add some goals from midfield.  Fingers crossed it all works out.

Duggan getting 15 basically replaces Spence's tally. Beyond that I'm not sure Smith will have modified the style of his side too much, apart from a more heavyweight central midfield, so not sure how Buchanan will receive any better service than he did previously. Milne will get shoehorned in out wide of a 4-4-2.

Edited by renton

28 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

agree with all of that, squad looking decent and think they will surprise us COYR

16 minutes ago, renton said:

buchanan was crap last year but with the right service can still score a lot of goals

8 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

buchanan was crap last year but with the right service can still score a lot of goals

As I said above, I'm not certain where the better service is suddenly going to come from, add to that he was actually fairly profligate with the chances he did get. 

You can point to guys like Milne and Duggan and say that's a progressive signing strategy, picking the best of those below and hoping they shine with better players around them. The flip side of the coin being that they have a ceiling that they've reached, and will only look worse the further up the leagues you try and take them. That's where Smith's money is earned, in being able to spot and coach those with potential to go further. Nothing he's done in the last year gives me much confidence in Smith to do that, so to me the signings look risky at best.

Edited by renton

4 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Suppose it depends if the supplemented young guys include McKay and Watson the latter of which will probably see a lot of game time this season I'd suspect. If they are part of our first team squad then, from my list, that would make 15 players and another keeper taking us to 16.