The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, renton said:

I think there was some nice passages of play, particularly in the first half on Saturday. The problem was that it tended to break down around the 18 yard line, so having attacked reasonably well we failed to convert that play into either clear cut chances or even into a dead ball opportunity. In the second half EF were able to get the ball back quickly and to drive through big gaping holes in the middle of the park. All these issues are closely linked in my head.

Firstly, our second half issues fell under two categories: our inability to make the ball stick up front - something that became more acute after Buchanan went off. The second category being our inability to win the ball back in midfield once EF had it. In the first half, the break down of good play usually lay at the feet (literally) of Buchanan. As others have noted, he looks either bereft of confidence, or just done, generally. Yet our lack of options for change meant that once he went off, Milne - categorically not a centre forward - was unable to hold up play to any degree which resulted in EF being able to turnover play relatively quickly. It's an issue that should solve itself with time, as Duggan and Vaughan get fit, and we can have both a starter and replacement who can play as a centre forward even before we have to consider Buchanan. That should result in us being able to maintain pressure on the opposition, and to  create actual chances.

The second issue, particularly in the second half, was in the midfield. I don't share other posters glowing reviews of Wedderburn on Saturday.  While agreeing with them that his willingness to drive with the ball, to take it on the turn and play forward is a really positive attribute, he was also blowing out his arse by the hour mark, and his sloppy header before Agnew's second didn't help. Obviously that knock on Tuesday night was showing up because near the end EF players were ghosting past him like he wasn't there. On the other hand Gillespie's first time passing and wee touches really add a dimension to our play, but it can border on wreckless at times and occasionally taking a touch and slowing down play would've led to us having more control of the play. A secondary issue would be that EF, knowing all about Flanagan, doubled up on him time and again.

That all feels like it could be solved if budget were available to bring in a right sided wide player. Had we such a player available on Saturday, we could've replaced Wedderburn (or Gillepsie, depending on your taste) with Matthews, so that the middle of the park had a fresher pair of legs with a better engine, while at the same time adding an attacking outlet down that side that would have posed extra problems to EF, and allowed us to impose ourselves on the game. Perhaps Milne would be that guy were he not needed to replace the ailing Buchanan, who Smith obviously believes he needs to rest after a period, else he doesn't have two fit senior strikers for the week after. You could argue that Smith should've let Berry or Stevenson on (if you agree with the above analysis) but he obviously doesn't trust them to carry a game.

So yeah, I wanted Smith gone in the Summer and I'm still not sure he is the man for the job - yet I have to admit some of the football they've tried to play in the last couple of home games has taken me by surprise with how easy on the eye it is. We are clearly below strength however, both in terms of sidelined players and walking wounded. I think one more body - an attacking player out wide - would allow him enough flexibility now to get a better performance than we saw in the second half on Saturday, and that with Duggan and Vaughan back, we'd look a lot more dangerous. As it is, Airdrie looks a tough one, unless he decides to do away with two up top - because right now he doesn't have the resources to sustain that formation over 90 minutes.

Some really good stuff in your post!

Would Vaughan perhaps play wide right when fit? He was at his most dangerous when playing wide last season, when he scored the bulk of his goals.

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

Some really good stuff in your post!

Would Vaughan perhaps play wide right when fit? He was at his most dangerous when playing wide last season, when he scored the bulk of his goals.

I think Vaughan plays best in roles where he has space to run into. That wide role suited him for a spell, but I think he could do really well playing off of Nisbet who looks like he is going to win a good number of knock downs and flick ons.

Was quite interesting to hear that Kyle Bell seems to have done well for EF so far. He was brought on late in the game but didn't look out of place. Granted we are aiming to be higher up than EF but surely if a youngster we let go is good enough to get game time for them at this level then the ones (Berry, Stevenson) Smith has opted to keep are good enough to play a part?

6 hours ago, grumswall said:

Was quite interesting to hear that Kyle Bell seems to have done well for EF so far. He was brought on late in the game but didn't look out of place. Granted we are aiming to be higher up than EF but surely if a youngster we let go is good enough to get game time for them at this level then the ones (Berry, Stevenson) Smith has opted to keep are good enough to play a part?

Well you know oor Baz, he’s always been one to give youth a chance.

I’m playing in a young professionals 5-a-side tournament today and this roaster is the guest speaker and is holding a Q & A.. could be interesting...

Any suggestions of questions will be taken into consideration. All questions suggested will be asked until he tries to fight me.

57 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

I’m playing in a young professionals 5-a-side tournament today and this roaster is the guest speaker and is holding a Q & A.. could be interesting...

Any suggestions of questions will be taken into consideration. All questions suggested will be asked until he tries to fight me.

What roaster?