The New Raith Rovers Thread

180 notes of interest for the raith fund now, you'd imagine that would be close to paying the wages of 1 player. Good effort so far.

Notes of interest, not actual people signed up. Keen to hear how many have actually put their money in.

38 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Any team signing guys like Connor Sammon at this level should breeze this league. 

We would need a lot of things to go wrong for Falkirk and a lot of things to go right for us if we were to go up as champions. The hard work we have made of getting out this league is as much down to our own failure as anything else, and a club with Falkirks resources should make light work of getting out this league. 

We've assembled a good League 1 side, which I am personally happy with as that represents a bit of progress from last season, but I don't think it's unrealistic to say our aim will likely be finishing a strong 2nd and winning the playoffs. 

Yeah it’s hard to see anyone challenging Falkirk, I think they’ll win it pretty comfortably. If we can finish clear in second I think we’ll have done well. Wouldn’t dread the play offs quite so much now after finally winning a tie.

We have the basis of a solid competitive league one side. Any further success will depend on a few things:

1. JM continuing from his previous sides making us a fit, organised, hard working team which is greater than the sum of its parts.

2. Loan signings will be crucial as they usually are. I’d still like to see us add a striker and a winger. Hopefully McGlynn gets his number 1 target striker he’s spoken about as well as a good quality winger.

3. Injuries. It’s been done to death but they absolutely killed us last year. Getting a full season out of the likes of Vaughan, Hendry and Dingwall would make a huge difference.

Stating the obvious but if the 3 points above go to plan I’d be confident of securing second and having a real chance in the play offs. If any of the above don’t work out as planned we could struggle.

I’m pretty optimistic though, I have a lot more trust in McGlynn than I ever did in Smith. It is night and day compared to the ill prepared shambles we had at this time last season. All the signings brought in seem to be done so with a view to how they fit into the team and complement the others around them. I never really felt that was the case with Smith he just signed what he thought were good players with no idea how they’d fit into the way he wanted to play, Spence/Buchanan the obvious examples. 

reading the posts re falkirk i think we are giving them far too much credit. have you all forgotten what happened to dunfirmline. its certainly not a given falkirk will win this league. a couple of good loan signings can and will make a huge difference.

41 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Notes of interest, not actual people signed up. Keen to hear how many have actually put their money in.

44 minutes ago, renton said:

In order to hit their quarterly target your looking at everyone contributing ~£20, obviously some will pay more and some less... and of course, not all notes of interest develop into actually putting money in.

This is true, but I imagine the 'notes of interest' is being used because the 15th of the month hasn't come by yet? i.e. that is 180 people emailing the club for the bank details to set it up? Surely almost all people who have actually emailed for the bank details will sign up!?

I also think that the 'true' year one number of people signed up will be clearer come 15th of August/15th of Sept after the competitive home games start and people start talking/encouraging their pals/people who sit by them to get involved...

They’ll only really know come the 1st of next month, as you set up your own standing order so can vary the debit date accordingly.

Bound to be the occasional person who decides they can’t be arsed or are somehow incapable of setting up a standing order but you’d have thought those putting money in should be close to the 180. I could be wrong but I don’t think that 180 includes those who were already contributing either.

For me, I think Falkirk have made excellent signings and could probably finish top 4 in the Championship with that team, however, as we’ve shown the last 2 years when you lack grit you stay down, Ray Mac, does know this league, but so far with his signings he is also showing he maybe doesn’t quite know this league... and as mentioned is it maybe too many signings all at once, and too soon for them all to “gel”. Will be interesting, I personally don’t think they’ll win the league. But I could be wrong and they could have it wrapped up by February.

As for our team on Saturday vs. Dundee -
Munro
McKay Nando Bene MacDonald
Matthews Miller
Anderson Hendry Victoria
Allan

Falkirk have made fewer new signings than ourselves over the summer.

30 minutes ago, Varna Rover said:

reading the posts re falkirk i think we are giving them far too much credit. have you all forgotten what happened to dunfirmline. its certainly not a given falkirk will win this league. a couple of good loan signings can and will make a huge difference.

I think we are giving them due credit. At the very worst, they are starting the season with a squad of players who have a track record at championship level at worst, and then signing guys like Sammon who, while not often prolific does have a near decade experience at a far higher level than any of our boys do. Even if you assume we'd be the closest to Falkirk which is by no means a given. 

In some respects we are probably a far better side than we were last season, particularly in the middle of the park. Regan Hendry looks a real steal for us, but the other two 'quality' players we have are still injured. A fit Vaughan can probably be relied on for 15-20 goals over the season, but until and on the condition that happens our front line as described by WSDR 88 looks long on gambles that might not come anywhere close to coming off. That will be true of all sides, but the point is that Falkirk are paying good money to lengthen the odds that any substantial number of their boys turn out to be duds.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, renton said:

In order to hit their quarterly target your looking at everyone contributing ~£20, obviously some will pay more and some less... and of course, not all notes of interest develop into actually putting money in.

Guessing you,ll have to add those that are all ready contributing to the old scheme to the 180 thats registered interest

Just now, Rovers_Lad said:

Guessing you,ll have to add those that are all ready contributing to the old scheme to the 180 thats registered interest

Had actually forgotten the numbers quoted were above and beyond those.

1 hour ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

This is true, but I imagine the 'notes of interest' is being used because the 15th of the month hasn't come by yet? i.e. that is 180 people emailing the club for the bank details to set it up? Surely almost all people who have actually emailed for the bank details will sign up!?

I also think that the 'true' year one number of people signed up will be clearer come 15th of August/15th of Sept after the competitive home games start and people start talking/encouraging their pals/people who sit by them to get involved...

Oh wait you had to send it on the 15th?! I sent mines the first day I could (the third i think).

Astonished how anyone could think that rag tag mob are going to compete with Falkirk for the league.

Raith will be content with a top four finish which I wouldn't say is a given looking at that.

Absolutely hates the Rovers, this guy. You just avoid the Lowland League, son. Stick on your team will drop down at some point in the next 5-10 years I’d say.

Absolutely hates the Rovers, this guy. You just avoid the Lowland League, son. Stick on your team will drop down at some point in the next 5-10 years I’d say.

Who is his team? I’m on the app and doesn’t say.

2 hours ago, RRPT said:

Oh wait you had to send it on the 15th?! I sent mines the first day I could (the third i think).

Don't worry about it - it's not the worst thing in the world if it's not on the 15th, trust me 🙂

#ITK 😜

4 hours ago, renton said:

I think we are giving them due credit. At the very worst, they are starting the season with a squad of players who have a track record at championship level at worst, and then signing guys like Sammon who, while not often prolific does have a near decade experience at a far higher level than any of our boys do. Even if you assume we'd be the closest to Falkirk which is by no means a given. 

In some respects we are probably a far better side than we were last season, particularly in the middle of the park. Regan Hendry looks a real steal for us, but the other two 'quality' players we have are still injured. A fit Vaughan can probably be relied on for 15-20 goals over the season, but until and on the condition that happens our front line as described by WSDR 88 looks long on gambles that might not come anywhere close to coming off. That will be true of all sides, but the point is that Falkirk are paying good money to lengthen the odds that any substantial number of their boys turn out to be duds.

theirs a counter arguement to that renton. if these guys are so good, how come they are now cplaying in div 1. yes falkirk can pay higher wages, but so can championship clubs. people may well be correct on the assumption falkirk could run away with this league but its not a given far from it. if falkirk go out with the vattitude that they are superior and then suffer 2 early league defeats, that will have a adverse detriment to them. lets wait and see for a few games then appraise the situation from their.

Falkirk should and almost certainly will piss this league. To not do so would be a real failure. The one grain of hope is they’ve gone for a quality over quantity approach this season and we all know the pitfalls of that! Let’s hope big Nando can put a few of their better players out for the season on our first meeting. Exactly what Arbroath tried against Vaughan in our first meeting least season.

19 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Falkirk should and almost certainly will piss this league. To not do so would be a real failure. The one grain of hope is they’ve gone for a quality over quantity approach this season and we all know the pitfalls of that! Let’s hope big Nando can put a few of their better players out for the season on our first meeting. Exactly what Arbroath tried against Vaughan in our first meeting least season.

Falkirk should and almost certainly will piss this league.  if teams and fans have this attitude then yes they probably will. but if all have the attitude they are their to be beaten , then its a completely different kettle of fish.nothing is certain and nothing is won or list till the final whistle.

Falkirk should and almost certainly will piss this league.  if teams and fans have this attitude then yes they probably will. but if all have the attitude they are their to be beaten , then its a completely different kettle of fish.nothing is certain and nothing is won or list till the final whistle.

There is of course a chance they don’t win the league but the bookies have them odds on for a reason.