The New Raith Rovers Thread

59 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Going by Instagram, Hendry and Davo are still In Portugal so both players won’t have really been spoken to yet, we’ll need to wait til they’re back before we know where we are

Bet that was a nice text he got about his forthcoming E-training video.

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Bet that was a nice text he got about his forthcoming E-training video.

Panel - Does your client have anything he'd like to say Mr Findlay? 

Findlay - I don't know, he's on a golfing holiday in Portugal. 

Lots of fear of the changes in here, but as others have pointed out, change is a near constant below the Premiership. With speculation leaking out about interest from Raith for a LB, the writing has been on the wall for a week or so about KMac leaving. Zanatta is much like Armstrong, but Armstrong’s utility at LB left more doubt about his fate.

I would expect movement at LB, and CM if Hendry goes. If Frankie leaves, a utility back is a near must, but I wouldn’t be surprised if JMcG doesn’t scour the National League again for a forward or winger with our current roster. There’s a solid chance that JMcG will again seek to fill the winger role from loans, as the applicable teams saw our use of Ross and Kennedy last year and will feel confident loaning a player to us.

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Zanatta for Armstrong is a big downgrade.

With MacDonald away too there’s a good chance there’ll be a downgrade at left back.

If (when) lose Hendry we’ll likely have a downgrade in midfield.

It’s hard not to start to feel a bit pessimistic.

But we’ve got McGlynn so I’ll try and keep the pessimism in check.

I don't get this. Keiran McDonald has had two very good years for us but is by no means irreplaceable. 

I liked Armstrong a lot, I think Zanatta can do a job, as proven in his time at Alloa, has gone wayward since then, but that seems largely a result of lack of application which is McGlynn's coaching specialty. That Ayr game on TV, you saw the best and worst of him. Strong, direct and giving our fullback and absolute torrid time, before being slow to get back, and lazily fouling Armstrong in a dangerous place.

I dont think we will adequately replace ahendry and that may cause a change in how we play, but at the moment I think it's just that thing where you want to stick with what you know, and not knowing who's coming in, all you can see is the talent we are losing, not what we might be bringing in.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Do we know Zanatta is first choice? Or do we know who is coming in at LB?

The club and managers stock are as high as they've been in a while. It'll be fine.

There will be changes but I believe in our management team, none of the players leaving are irreplaceable. As others have said players getting released from premier league clubs who could improve us, No  need to panic In Mcglynn We Trust 

Edited by Been going too long

I get that it’s hard not to feel a bit pessimistic about losing armstrong and macca but they are hardly irreplaceable.

Zannata can be class and we seen that in fragments under smith when he was first with us, we were all gutted when he got recalled remember, and mcglynn can definitely get the best out of him. Macca, although he was definitely quality in league 1, I don’t think he’ll be as big a miss as people are making out. I dont think we ever looked worse off when musonda played there last year although he offered much less in an attacking aspect. 

It’s hard and I don’t know how much I believe it myself but with each day passing I feel more and more confident that regan will re-sign for some absurd reason and give us one final season before winning la liga with Barca. 

McGlynn knows what he’s doing and always has a plan B & C if he doesn’t get his first choice boys in so I’m more than happy that come pre-season we’ll have a squad more than competent to compete.

I don't think either Macdonald or Armstrong are irreplaceable so we don't need to go all Beyonce and make a song about it. 

The concern is really that a team taht competed well might be having more adjustments than we'd hoped for. That isn't a good thing. Hopefully we can bring in good replacements, but they will take some time to settle in. 

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't think either Macdonald or Armstrong are irreplaceable so we don't need to go all Beyonce and make a song about it. 

The concern is really that a team taht competed well might be having more adjustments than we'd hoped for. That isn't a good thing. Hopefully we can bring in good replacements, but they will take some time to settle in. 

In practice, probably means getting papped out of the League Cup at the group stage again. 

9 minutes ago, therollorose said:

In practice, probably means getting papped out of the League Cup at the group stage again. 

Glorified friendlies anyway. Will we be seeded this time though? Or will it be Hearts, East Fife, Inverness and Cove again? Definitely need to shake up the regionalisation aspect of it. It’s a lot of pish.  

If K MacDonald and D Armstrong have been offered better deals elsewhere then good luck to them. Armstrong has already left once and came straight back so the grass isn’t always greener. I’d rather lose the players than try to match wages we can’t afford or cut what little strength in depth we have to compensate.

Both have been good players but they aren’t irreplaceable. I’ve no doubt John McGlynn and his team have their eyes on several options for every position we may need to replace and I’m fully confident he’ll bring in adequate replacements. The only player we’re likely to lose that’s almost certainly irreplaceable at this level is Hendry and that’s because sadly he’s too good for us and we were very lucky to get him in the first place.

There’s loads of players who’s contracts are up and will have seen the attractive football we played last season, I’m sure the board and the manager will keep us competitive. Who saw us attracting a name like Jamie MacDonald, in John we trust!

12 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Don't know why, but I've a feeling we'll end up with Ross County, Peterhead, Elgin and Brora. 

The mess of regionalising the draw is epitomised by Hearts and Hibs being in different halves and the fact the Pars can't get a Fife derby in the group stage. 

Armstrong is a big loss. Chipped in with plenty of goals and assists. Agree about MacDonald: he has been excellent for us but he did have the occasional howler. The only that springs to mind was Arbroath away where he delivered their goal on a plate. I'd rather we'd have kept him but it's not the end of the world.

We've yet to announce any additional signings and the players we have been linked with should all add to the squad would they sign.