The New Raith Rovers Thread

Smith is a decent signing was miss managed at DAFC in my opinion,came into team and was scoring then dropped.

And never really got another chance,pacy player and with the right guidance will do well.

Proper pace is going to be an interesting new feature. I don't think we had anyone who was properly sluggish (Isma aside, maybe), but who was the quickest player last season? 

Willy Akio? He didn't show it much. I'm sure there's an obvious one I'm forgetting, but if not, then you just get into 'normal' paced guys like Connolly and Easton. 

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Speaking of Dabrowski I don’t know much about him but from the few Hibs supporters I know they rated him highly and said he could’ve been there No1 so if it is him then we need to see how he is can’t really judge him based on a loan spell at queen of the south

no offence but it was queen of the south and they didn’t exactly do well in L1 last season finishing what 6th? Maybe with hopefully a good CH partnership in front of him he could be great 

Dabrowski is top drawer. Expected him to go to a lower Premiership team (a Killie/ Dundee for example), he’d be some signing for any team in the championship.

58 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm not sure he's better either, but he's different and that's what we need. More variety. 

I think you’re right with this. They maybe aren’t ‘better’ on paper but it’s something different. For one reason or another Gullan, Ross and dare I say it even Vaughan haven’t been able to give us what we hoped they would. We pinned our hopes on them and it hasn’t worked. Bringing in other options means all the chips aren’t going on the same numbers any more.

A strong bench is absolutely crucial to getting into the top 4. Look at us last season, barely having 2/3 players on the bench. The injuries will inevitably come and go this season and if we are serious about getting into that top 4 then we I’ll need every player we can get. I’m sure we would all rather have the headache of trying to fit these guys in the team rather than worrying about if Thomson is going to end up an outfield player for a game or two! 

24 minutes ago, pub car king said:

We seem to be signing experienced and selected young players on 2 to 3 year deals

Which points very much to future planning and we may be player heavy in a couple of positions but as we all know things change throughout the season. 

I think he start to the season will be very interesting because it looks like every position is up for grabs (I know we don't have enough defenders yet) and these guys are going to have to be competitive and fit which is no bad thing. 

We did hear the “hungry young players” line from Sim. It seems we are building a square that can cope with injuries and players hitting cold streaks.

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

That's healthy, another 800 before the season starts would be fantastic 

Given Barrowman said half the season tickets on the first day were “new”, I’d push on and hope for 2,000 by season start!

12 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Proper pace is going to be an interesting new feature. I don't think we had anyone who was properly sluggish (Isma aside, maybe), but who was the quickest player last season? 

Willy Akio? He didn't show it much. I'm sure there's an obvious one I'm forgetting, but if not, then you just get into 'normal' paced guys like Connolly and Easton. 

I suspect the fastest player on Raith was likely one on loan, Mitchell.

3 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

A strong bench is absolutely crucial to getting into the top 4. Look at us last season, barely having 2/3 players on the bench. The injuries will inevitably come and go this season and if we are serious about getting into that top 4 then we I’ll need every player we can get. I’m sure we would all rather have the headache of trying to fit these guys in the team rather than worrying about if Thomson is going to end up an outfield player for a game or two! 

Completely agree. The key to success is a strong starting 11, with depth on the bench that firstly means we can fill it, secondly add competition and we have options to change players and formation. We lacked that massively this past season yet still finished 7th.

6 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

In my opinion yes, I think it is a really good signing and I’d imagine most people would be happy.

As long as it's not Alan McGregor, never liked him and even less since his childishness with Baz the radge.

6 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

Aidan McAdams.

You wish! I would suggest this would be only if Mr McKenzie is on the hunt for another joiner,  painter or labourer etc.

34 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Easton back to Airdrie

Aside from his handful of really good goals, given our latest signings, I actually think I wouldn't be too distraught with that.

11 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Completely agree. The key to success is a strong starting 11, with depth on the bench that firstly means we can fill it, secondly add competition and we have options to change players and formation. We lacked that massively this past season yet still finished 7th.

A strong bench will also mean we can actually swap players that okay in that position if they start to have a run of bad games. Last season we just had to stick with players as we only had a LB and a GK half the time on the bench 

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We did hear the “hungry young players” line from Sim. It seems we are building a square that can cope with injuries and players hitting cold streaks.

Given Barrowman said half the season tickets on the first day were “new”, I’d push on and hope for 2,000 by season start!

Not sure when 25% became half 🤔

32 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Ethan Ross, when fully fit has a decent turn of acceleration, but not necessarily a great top speed. Other than that, aye we could be tidy but quite one paced.

44 minutes ago, pub car king said:

We seem to be signing experienced and selected young players on 2 to 3 year deals

Which points very much to future planning and we may be player heavy in a couple of positions but as we all know things change throughout the season. 

I think he start to the season will be very interesting because it looks like every position is up for grabs (I know we don't have enough defenders yet) and these guys are going to have to be competitive and fit which is no bad thing. 

That's a huge benefit of having that many options. I posted on our thread that I felt Smith has stagnated a bit with us, and I think that's because he's had no competition for his place in the team and had already won over the fans. From February through to the start of the play-offs he was pretty poor this year but still played 90 minutes every week. In the long term I don't think that's good for the player. I'm not saying he wasn't trying or anything like that, far from it, but I think having that competition for places just gives players that extra edge.

Raith will have all these guys desperate to play which will drive standards in training and games and make them better players. I can't see any negative of having 'too many' players.

4 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Over Deniz Mehmet? I've no idea if it's Dabrowski we're getting or not, but I wouldn't swap you Mehmet for him. 

Not after the goals he shipped in our 5 nil horsing of QOTS in April. Pathetic display of goalkeeping.