The New Raith Rovers Thread

For me, the past 2 games have confirmed that we aren't good enough to mount a serious title challenge this season.  To be ahead against 10 men, and 2-0 up against a team with no subs left and playing a goalkeeper up front - and to leave both games without a win, is pretty poor at best.  The question you have to ask, is if Dundee Utd would have done the same?  When you see their game last night and that today, its a massive difference.  Not necessarily in terms of individual footballing ability, but in terms of game management and game intelligence - its absolutely fucking massive. 

Over the piece, don't have any real complaints - we have rode our luck a bit this season - but its a massive wake up call and a pretty sobering dose of reality.   The inability to take any command of a game when on top is really quite concerning.

It will still be a successful season I'm sure, I would be surprised to see us fall any lower than 2nd, but the past week has been extremely disappointing after such a good win at Tannadice. 

Think Ross Matthews is deserving of some game time in beside Shaun Byrne. Was really unimpressed by Brown’s ability to run the game for us 2nd half.

we need to learn how to impose our will on a game when in front.

Season still a massive success but we need to be so much more professional in our game management.

10 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Defence Defence Defence. f**k the silky winger. The weakness is that fucking defence. Jesus fucking Christ

Don't think the defence did that badly today.  Brown gave away the pen, and the first goal was an absolutely worldie.

The overall shape, formation and game management when we are in front is the stand out concern at the moment.

16 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

For me, the past 2 games have confirmed that we aren't good enough to mount a serious title challenge this season.  To be ahead against 10 men, and 2-0 up against a team with no subs left and playing a goalkeeper up front - and to leave both games without a win, is pretty poor at best.  The question you have to ask, is if Dundee Utd would have done the same?  When you see their game last night and that today, its a massive difference.  Not necessarily in terms of individual footballing ability, but in terms of game management and game intelligence - its absolutely fucking massive. 

Over the piece, don't have any real complaints - we have rode our luck a bit this season - but its a massive wake up call and a pretty sobering dose of reality.   The inability to take any command of a game when on top is really quite concerning.

It will still be a successful season I'm sure, I would be surprised to see us fall any lower than 2nd, but the past week has been extremely disappointing after such a good win at Tannadice. 

This. The team have been excellent this season and don’t want to be too harsh on them but I feel anyone that thinks we have a genuine chance at the title after the last two games is kidding themselves on.

Whether our aspirations are 1st, 2nd or even 8th the point dropped, particularly in the circumstances of our last 2 home games are truly dreadful results. Still in a very good position for 2nd which would have been an excellent achievement before a ball was kicked but much improvement needed for Tuesday.

28 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Defence Defence Defence. f**k the silky winger. The weakness is that fucking defence. Jesus fucking Christ

Nah, it's the midfield. The 4-1-3-2 leaves big channels for teams to build on once they beat the press. We lose goals from guys being able to run at the back 4, or have ebough time go make big switches to isolate our full backs.

To date Murray has been happy to gamble on scoring eough goals to cover the issues caused by having one guy covering the back 4, and to some extent having Stanton who can cover those gaps without the ball, and Brown available to step out with the ball has made it work.

At 2-0 up today, hell, even at 2-1 we could have moved to a 4-2-3-1 killed the tempo and restricted the space Arbroath had in front of our back 4.

Frustrating watch that today…especially towards the end.

Yes we lost 2 goals today and 4 against Ayr but I don’t think that stems from the defence-we are getting overrun in the middle of the park. Time for a change of formation.

Thought we were pretty wasteful going forward at times today as well.Not sure why Hamilton didn’t just stick that one in with his head at 2 nil up-was like he was trying to be smart and chest it in.

3 points needed against Pars.

That was unacceptable and frankly a bit embarrassing. 
We’re nice on the eye at times with the tippy tappy one touch triangles but we lack any form of cutting edge or ruthlessness.

Disappointed in IM these last two home games..2-1 up at HT against 10 man Ayr and we wait till we go behind to make changes. Same again today. We’ve been crying out for a strong bench yet not proactive enough for me with it. 

Reality check for those that thought we had a strong chance of winning the league. Long way to go but DU will strengthen and we’re too soft and leaky at the back with the afore mentioned lack of cutting edge.

Thats a honking Abroath side with key players out, injuries through the game, no bench and a keeper playing outfield. They were there to be pumped rotten.  

How does Jack Hamilton miss from that superb Smith cross 😩

Fantastic home crowd of over 3500 is at least double from comparable games in previous seasons. 

Just got to hope that stings the players into a strong performance on the 2nd.

13 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

That was unacceptable and frankly a bit embarrassing. 
We’re nice on the eye at times with the tippy tappy one touch triangles but we lack any form of cutting edge or ruthlessness.

Disappointed in IM these last two home games..2-1 up at HT against 10 man Ayr and we wait till we go behind to make changes. Same again today. We’ve been crying out for a strong bench yet not proactive enough for me with it. 

Reality check for those that thought we had a strong chance of winning the league. Long way to go but DU will strengthen and we’re too soft and leaky at the back with the afore mentioned lack of cutting edge.

Thats a honking Abroath side with key players out, injuries through the game, no bench and a keeper playing outfield. They were there to be pumped rotten.  

How does Jack Hamilton miss from that superb Smith cross 😩

Fantastic home crowd of over 3500 is at least double from comparable games in previous seasons. 

Just got to hope that stings the players into a strong performance on the 2nd.

Just doing what Rovers do, totally comfortable then we blow it. We really need to play to the full 90 minutes. If anything, and this is maybe just bias. But Brown turned well away when the ball hit his arm. 

Edited by Stardog_champion

Game management from Murray was abysmal today.

Going 2-0 up against a team forced into playing their sub ‘keeper up top & the team are treating it like they’re in desperate need of a goal with minutes left on the clock.

Defensive half of the pack left Rovers outnumbered again & again, just like against Ayr. There’s no payoff in having so many attacking players so high up the pitch if possession is lost the majority of times you’re trying to get it through to them.

Game management not helped with the subs either. None were effective. Both Gullan & McGill guilty of gifting silly, silly, fouls when the team was in fact chasing the game.

The Ayr result was one that, all things being equal, you just had to hold your hands up to. Today was brutal. Two points thrown away &, realistically, a nail in the coffin of any serious ‘title’ talk. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

The overall shape, formation and game management when we are in front is the stand out concern at the moment.

That’s down to Murray… aye give the boys and that praise for this season but this consistent persistence of using the same formation for 90 mins will end up costing us promotion entirely let alone winning a league title when we’re leading bring on a Midfielder or even another defender and see games out 9 goals conceded at home and only picked 5 points in the last 3 games is a joke….. 

we becoming to predictable in this 4132 or 41212 whatever’s it’s called something has to change against the pars on Tuesday or we won’t win that either 

We're far in front of the clubs expectations up to this point, how far though is the proverbial question, we keep throwing points away from winning positions or rescuing points with last minute goals, I cant see us getting a result on Tuesday, with Stanton out and Byrne likely recalled by the Dee, Murray probably out as well leaving us with Corr/Masson & O'Reilly as CB's which isn't ideal  

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

We're far in front of the clubs expectations up to this point, how far though is the proverbial question, we keep throwing points away from winning positions or rescuing points with last minute goals, I cant see us getting a result on Tuesday, with Stanton out and Byrne likely recalled by the Dee, Murray probably out as well leaving us with Corr/Masson & O'Reilly as CB's which isn't ideal  

Think that was O’Reillys last game and if Byrne is getting recalled and wtf did he not bring on Matthews to get minutes into the legs because it’s likely we will need him in for the Run-in 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

40 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Just doing what Rovers do, totally comfortable then we blow it. We really need to play to the full 90 minutes. If anything, and this is maybe just bias. But Brown turned well away when the ball hit his arm. 

I didn’t think we comfortable at all. I thought we were very lucky to be up at the interval