The New Raith Rovers Thread

O'Reilly been a good signing but if Corr and Watson both fit then he is surplus to requirements. Also, there may be others available in January who are a better option so will wait and see. 

Happy with the soundbites coming out of the club in that we are happy with what we have. We absolutely shouldn't be trying to speculate to win the league, leave that to United. It may well come off for them but the longer term strategy should be what we are pursuing. 

49 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Bene should be back for this weekend, if not then the our game on 2nd Jan, Breen came back last week at Arbroath. However, Chris Hamilton went off with a fractured cheekbone and Lewis McCann has "done" his hamstring, so it's two in, two out at the injury room revolving door.

Your injury troubles sound like us from last season. Key players always missing and never or rarely having a fully fit squad. Maybe not quite as extreme as us with only having two / three subs at times but we know the feeling of being frustrated with players being injured

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

O'Reilly been a good signing but if Corr and Watson both fit then he is surplus to requirements. Also, there may be others available in January who are a better option so will wait and see. 

Happy with the soundbites coming out of the club in that we are happy with what we have. We absolutely shouldn't be trying to speculate to win the league, leave that to United. It may well come off for them but the longer term strategy should be what we are pursuing. 

100% agree with your second paragraph. 

First one I’m not so sure on though- I’ve not seen anything to suggest that Corr is anywhere near the level of O’Reilly. 

Broadly speaking, I would keep O'Reilly rather than end up with a kid from Hearts as cover. He's done a turn for us, albeit he had a  nightmare against Partick. He is however an experienced CB and I prefer that rather than having to chuck in someone with little senior experience if the wrong combination of defenders happen to be unavailable. As Murray says, it is a two-way discussion. He isn't first choice and he might want to give somewhere he has a better chance of playing in the first team more often than not. I would be happy for him to stay, particularly given the injury problems we have had in defence. 

O’Reilly is an interesting one.Thought he would be a shoo in for a contract after his first few games but for him to miss last couple of games that might not be the case now.

He should’ve came on for Dick when we moved to a back 3 against Ayr.

Watson surely isn’t far away from being back fit but he didn’t look the fittest prior to his injury-him n Murray looked solid together though.

Masson seems to be the one who is surplus to requirements these days-maybe a loan move for him and O’Reilly gets a contract until Summer.

Murray said this in an interview that it's tricky to balance keeping guys in the squad for cover and letting them go on loan to get games.

Defence has been far and away the weakest part of our team and I don't think we've played the same defence for 3 games in a row this season (although I'm probably exagerating on that) but I'd say Masson and Hannah would be prime for loaning out. Neither is getting any game time and the latter is not ready yet to be chucked into a competitive run in. 

If we don't keep O'Reilly, I'd move Dick to CB he was really exposed against Ayr (insert Kenneth gif) and look for a more mobile option there. 

In terms of others Scott McGill seems to have disappeared, woth the uncertainty around Byrne and Matthews still coming back you'd think he would get minutes in midfield?   

11 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Looking good actually. Seen the club have said the singing section is at the back of section ESU but on twitter the young team saying they are sitting at the front of ESW…

Good for them. At least the flares won’t hit anyone this time.

44 minutes ago, pub car king said:

If we don't keep O'Reilly, I'd move Dick to CB he was really exposed against Ayr (insert Kenneth gif) and look for a more mobile option there

I do agree with you on this if O’Reilly does go I’d be happy to see Liam dick move into CH but the LB is an odd situation but I did see on Twitter earlier someone mention Lewis Stevenson? Not getting a game at Hibs could be an option on loan if rumours were true he was gonna sign in the summer 

25 minutes ago, Offshore Rover said:

Looking good actually. Seen the club have said the singing section is at the back of section ESU but on twitter the young team saying they are sitting at the front of ESW…

Damn, I've literally just bought tickets for the ESW to get away from the singing section lol

1 hour ago, SerieA said:

Masson seems to be the one who is surplus to requirements these days-maybe a loan move for him and O’Reilly gets a contract until Summer.

I don’t know what the time difference is in Texas, but when a certain someone wakes up, you’ll be in for a battering for that comment!

5 hours ago, stevoraith said:

I’d keep O’Reilly but I’d agree that does read like we’re waiting to see if something better comes along before we commit.
Seems a risky strategy but can’t really fault the recruitment at all since Potter came in so I’ll trust them.  

I think O’Reilly might have signed at a discount because he knew he’d get a few games and needed to be visible because hers delayed a bit long in signing. He slotted right in…

5 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we've been sending out feelers to clubs and other centre backs to see if they're available in January such as Dundee with Ashcroft leading to a delay in our pursuit of an extension for O'Reilly. 

…so I’d be a bit surprised if it wasn’t more of a he wants a bit more than we want to pay right now. That’s actually a good reflection on our “Village Idiots”, and not a bad one upon him. Given how well he meshed, I’d not be surprised by keeping him, I just suspect he’s looking to be paid like a starter now regardless after showing his quality, and we might be thinking that with Murray/Watson/Brown/Corr/Masson…

The idea of a try at LB has some merit, I guess we’ll know soon enough. I also wouldn’t relish playing against him for the Pars paired with someone like Bene.

2 hours ago, SerieA said:

Harrumph…

38 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I don’t know what the time difference is in Texas, but when a certain someone wakes up, you’ll be in for a battering for that comment!

GMT+6

28 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

He'll be on the plane by now.

Reveal hidden contents

R.3c8ab45200544d2e42f4759d5408e373?rik=Q

Not yet, sahib.

Masson is a puzzler for IM. He was vocal about wanting to get time before extending, but he’s been a good soldier for us this year too. I suspect IM probably had a loan in mind for him before our back line started to look like a patched set of dungarees. A loan would be a good thing, but we’d need to have Watson back and O’Reilly or someone else in first. Hannah needs time with the first team training and at matches right now, he’ll see a loan next season. This is his first experience of real, full time football, and he’ll be lapping it up and learning at a feverish pace.

The whole backline apart from Murray, are out of contract come summer, with exception of O'Reilly who is out after Saturday and hasn't really had a great deal of exposure in the shop window,  Corr only signed a years contract for whatever reason, Watsons getting on a bit and has injury history but with his experience can bring younger players on. The headache for Potter and Murray is what league will we be in come seasons end.

I'm sure well have a better picture come end of January, we've come such a long way in a relatively short time, the guys behind the scenes know what they are doing as regards current and future players. 

1 hour ago, mrpaddyx said:

Damn, I've literally just bought tickets for the ESW to get away from the singing section lol

I’m in ESW as well, row U which is about two thirds of the way back. 
I’ll be pissed off if they do the standing all match thing again like at Tannadice. 
If they want to stand then fair enough but at least have the decency to go at the back where you’re not inconveniencing anyone.