The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Wes McDonald away back down south has freed up a wage. He was apparently on a decent whack for a guy who never actually played.

I don't know a great deal about O'Reilly, but judging by the Raith fans' reaction I take it we've got a good one.

Won’t hijack the Raith thread more but if that’s true about McDonald then he was an even bigger disappointment than I thought 

Not too bothered. I don’t think he’s the answer to our defensive problems, though would’ve been happy enough to him to stay. Fair play to him for getting a deal that suits himself.

Interested to see what we do next, cause we clearly need an extra body or 2 if we’re gonna run united for the rest of season.

Definitely disappointed to lose him, I would have kept him over Murray or Watson to be honest. 

However, got to look at the positives and it means our board obviously won’t be bullied by players/agents/fans into deals that they don’t think are in the best interests of the club. 
It would have been very easy to look at the fact he scored the winning goals against the Pars and that we’ve got a defensive crisis right now and chucked him whatever he wanted to get him to stay (and to be honest, that’s probably what I would have done!) but they’ve resisted that pressure. 
Hopefully it’s because they’ve got something better lined up. 

Obviously would have liked him to stay rather than go to another team in the same league but feel that he would have been used as cover given the imminent return of Watson to the fold. We saw he wasn't in Ian Murrays long term plans given the fact he was only offered a deal to the end of the season and after the Partick game, he was dropped in favour of Brown only to return due to moving Brown back to midfield after Stantons injury.

One thing that i will say though is i have every confidence that Ian Murray and John Potter will have been working behind the scenes for this eventuality and trust them to do whats best for this club going forward. It's not like during John Mcglynns tenure where we seemed to sign players for the sake of it to make up numbers.

He was no where near on Rovers radar at the start of the season , I would rather the board stuck to their guns and not be held to ransom regarding a player who was only signed as a stop gap lessons have obviously been learnt regarding previous ludicrous players contracts ie Ethan Ross , James Keatings . Murray imo did a great job in recruitment during the summer so I totally trust him and the rest of the back room staff if the courier is correct  we only thought he was worth a 6 month contract anyway so Murray didn’t rate him that highly. If O Reilly is that good why was he without a club for 6 months why did Thistle not sign him in the summer ? 

Current "defenders" status for Queen's Park:

Corr, CB, healthy, but been sitting...does IM believe in him?

Dick, LB or CB, possible injury concern.

Hannah, LB, healthy but young, played very little...does IM dare?

Masson, CB or RB, healthy but has been sitting and is less experienced than Corr...does IM believe in him?

Millen, RB, hothead, out at least this match, more possible (no SFA disciplinary updates since early November, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Murray, CB or LB, believed injured, extent unknown, questionable.

O'Reilly

Watson, CB, coming back from knee work, has been described as training and nearly ready, but still hasn't even made the bench, unlikely.

Options:

Brown, CB or RB, healthy but out of position.

Connolly, LB, less than ideal, but has done it once or twice, badly out of position though.

McGill, probably anything, but out of position.

Mullin, mooted at RB, outside possibility if needs must.

What does that mean...basically our honest choices are probably Brown and Corr at CB, Dick, McGill or Hannah at LB and Masson, McGill or Mullin at RB...it's not pretty. 

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Current "defenders" status for Queen's Park:

Corr, CB, healthy, but been sitting...does IM believe in him?

Dick, LB or CB, possible injury concern.

Hannah, LB, healthy but young, played very little...does IM dare?

Masson, CB or RB, healthy but has been sitting and is less experienced than Corr...does IM believe in him?

Millen, RB, hothead, out at least this match, more possible (no SFA disciplinary updates since early November, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Murray, CB or LB, believed injured, extent unknown, questionable.

O'Reilly

Watson, CB, coming back from knee work, has been described as training and nearly ready, but still hasn't even made the bench, unlikely.

Options:

Brown, CB or RB, healthy but out of position.

Connolly, LB, less than ideal, but has done it once or twice, badly out of position though.

McGill, probably anything, but out of position.

Mullin, mooted at RB, outside possibility if needs must.

What does that mean...basically our honest choices are probably Brown and Corr at CB, Dick, McGill or Hannah at LB and Masson, McGill or Mullin at RB...it's not pretty. 

Masson/Corr, Brown, Dick, McGill about the strongest if Watson and Murray are both out

Obviously his stand out feature in his yime for us was his aggressuon attacking balls in the opposition box.  Clearly a competent defender but don't think he really improved our leaky defence (not that it's entirely or even primarily their fault)

Glad we didnt cave to an 18 month deal. With Matthews back fit there is less pressure for Brown to play in midfield, When Watson comes back you have him, Murray, Brown and Corr with Dick available to cover.

If we sign another CB then grand, if not then fine. The way we play, it's not where we are gonna fall apart.

On the face of it, O'Reilly did well for us and he'll always be revered for his two goals last Tuesday.

However, it's worth noting that he was dropped for what turned out to be our best defensive performance of the season, so far, on the 16th of December.

13 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Looks like the Andy Halliday links ain’t going away and tbf I don’t see it here he fits in this team 

Would pleased if he signs. Probably would start at LB ahead of Dick and could play CM when any of Brown/Byrne/Stanton are unavailable.

Really not fussed about O'Reilly. Was a good short term signing but never really improved our defence. 

Another silver lining is that we only have two league games in the next five weeks, both at home. That removes a lot of the urgency and gives a bit more time for Watson to get back to fitness; for Watson, Matthews and potentially Corr to get some game time in the Challenge Cup; and/or for us to get someone else in.

If you look on YouTube which I did, his last interview for Raith TV pointed out they were absolutely desperate for him to stay on the fan forums. I’m taking this well because I don’t know much about the guy. 

On another note Raith are one of the few teams I don’t dislike and wish you guys the best.. Having said that There was that spell you lot had Novo so f**k yees 😂.